Boosting Instructions and Survival Guide

Tinytone

Hiya Bioshockers! After a rather successful day at boosting, I decided to write up my notes on what went well and what didn't. I hope I'm not stepping on anyone else's guides with these tips. If I am, let me know and perhaps this thread can be consolidated somewhere else. This is what I learnt:

How to host a Game:

1. Create a new Text/Chat room for everyone to join. This is vital as people need to communicate to each other in game and also people can see everyone's names (which is helpful when it comes to hosting and friend requesting each other).

2. In game, the host goes to the lobby and invites 5 people to the lobby. These people have to be on his/her friends list, so someone needs to friend request everyone before hand. The 6th person is invited once the game has been created (see point 4.)

3. "Find a Match" and scroll down and choose the "ADAM GRAB" match type. Don't make the mistake that I made and choose the TEAM ADAM GRAB as this won't work. The ADAM GRAB match type only allows a maximum of 6 people in the match. The ADAM GRAB Match is available off screen and only appears when you scrolled down. Obvious to some... but this really stumped me for a while !!!

4. Once you've started an ADAM GRAB Match, quickly invite the 6th person to join the game via "Manage Invitations". You may get a random person joining the game, but that's OK. Sometimes they cotton on to what the team is doing and stop killing the team and join in. The random person joining also gets ganged up on and killed very quickly by the other people if he started killing somone. Anyone can invite the 6th person to the match. In fact, encourage everyone to spam invites to him so that he gets the invite quickly and a random person doesn't jump in and fill that 6th spot.

Side Note: There's some limitation that prevents all 6 people from initially creating and joining the ADAM GRAB Match so starting up with 5 people, then adding the 6th seems to be the way to go.

Once the match has started:

Once you're inside a match here are some Do's and Don'ts:

a) Leave the little sister alone. If everyone leaves her alone, everyone comes 1st and therefore everyone get's a 200 bonus at the end of the round. Also, if some-one holds the sister for 3:00 minutes, the rounds over (Hooray for Randoms!).

b) Pair up and find a turret. Take turns to hack it and make sure that you have the "Speedy Hacker" gene tonic equipped so that you don't slow down your hacking partner. This tonic is unlocked at level 24.

Hacking the turret together with your partner will end up with you easily getting an Adam score of 1800+ if you do it non stop and get to the turret quickly (and assuming there are no distractions!).

c) Work on trials. Partner up with your turret hacking parter or someone's that left out, and after politely asking them in the chat (out of game), finish some trials. Shoot them 3 times in the head with a pistol, set them on fire in oil, electrocute them in water, melee kill them coming out of houdini stealth. Finish any of your trials and let your parter kill you when he/she needs help too. Communication is key here, and asking in chat is encouraged. You can finish alot of trials easily here and get just as much adam.

d) Chatting is a bit awkward when the game starts as you want to get stuck in and HACK, HACK, HACK... so don't feel like people are ignoring you if you join and no-one speaks to you. People are just busy that's all. Games last about 10 minutes so if you can be patient and wait for the game to end, suddenly lots of people are free to chat between matches and can offer some great advice!

e) If someone does drop and you have someone standing by to join the boosting team, anyone can press Start -> Manage Invites and invite the person to the match whilst the game is still in progress.

Maps with only 2 Turrets:

Sometimes a level only has 2 turrets which causes a minor set back as only 4 people can hack the 2 turrets, leaving 2 people to roam. What to do in these scenarios?

i) In this case the extra 2 people can hack a vending machine in pairs. 1 person sets the trap and the 2nd person triggers the trap by moving towards the vending machine, then quickly backwards. Hacking vending machines in pairs isn't that bad, just alternate after every 7ish or so goes so that the other person hacks and you trigger the trap.

ii) Another way to solve the 2 turrets per level problem is to veto the map at the lobby stage allowing the game to skip to a map with 3 turrents on it. Announce in the chat room to veto the map getting others to veto the map too. This boils down to people knowing how many turrets there are per level. (trust me - you learn very quickly heehee)

iii) Scout the map for Adam Vials. This won't take very long, but at least this also gives you an opportunity to freely explore and to learn the maps without the pressure of a gun to your back.

iv) People must be generous and willing to trade places if one person has been left out and someone's been hacking all the time. People are generally quite good at this and people do naturally rotate if someone's left out so being the odd man out isn't too bad. It does happen, so don't worry about it. I often made the suggestion in the chat room to shoot me once or twice when I'm hacking to get my attention, in which case I'll swap out and someone else can take my hacking spot. I don't mind the break and the opportunity to roam and work on trials/hack vending machines/pester others ;)

Random people joining the match:

What to do about the "Random" non boosting people who join the match? Well, you have a few options:

a) Ignore them. They'll go all out for the little sister and camp somewhere in a corner paranoid that everyone's out to get them. After 3 minutes the game will end and a new game starts (Bad scenario).

b) Kill them! The randoms often attack the pair at a turret but 3 vs 1 often means the random dies quite quickly. Everyone can see when a random attacks someone as it pops up in the "BigBrainStef kills Tinytone" message below the 1st, 2nd positions. This alerts everyone that we have an enemy at large and they become kill on sight if they go anywhere near the team (ok-ish scenario but a bit distracting).

c) If someone comes online and you do have people standing by to join, and trigger happy "randoms" have joined the match, you can always announce in chat that everyone should quit to lobby and you can restart the session again. We did have to do this a few times today whilst we were still learning the ropes, but once we had a group of 6 solid boosters... things went very smoothly for a long time!

Sometimes by restarting a session, a new random will cotton on that no-one wants to kill him and wants to get in on the turret hacking action. This is a brilliant scenario !! Friend Request him and quickly add him to the chat room and you've converted yet another random enemy to a friendly. About 30% of the people today went from enemy to friendly :dance: (brilliant scenario).

Finding Boosting Parters:

Use the boosting thread to register yourself and to find other people who are looking to boost. If you're proactive enough, Friend Request everyone at the end of the thread in the last 2-3 days and start a chat room going. Eventually people will start to come online and you can organise a boosting game session. It's not too difficult - just requires a bit of patience and work to the game off the ground.

People all over the world will be coming online. Some from the USA, some from Europe, and others from Asia/Australia. There are always people coming and going. Some can play at night, others during the day. It should be possible to get a group going... but you're not going to be able to please everyone that wants to get together to boost on the forums, due to the time differences.

Miscellaneous:

A few more boosting people came online today when a steady 6 of us were going smoothly. If they're ok to join the chat queue, and wait in line until someone drops, it's not that bad. Today, people came and went, but generally everyone got some GREAT points! It's definitely a win-win for everyone as the average ADAM for everyone after each match is about 1300-1800. Throw in a few trials inbetween hacking and you're laughing.

Communication really is key and all it needs is one person to get it off the ground and everyone else to be patient.

Well, hope this thread helps. Thanks to everyone today for being so patient with me today. I'm slow as hell to type in the PSN Chat/text window but we got there in the end and had a SUPERB boosting session.

Edited by Terminator
Updated thread title.

..."BigBrainStef kills Tinytone"...

Who's BigBrainStef?

Kidding, kidding...:p

+1 on this post, it's the most useful info you'll find for boosting.

We had to learn the (somewhat) hard way, as we were figuring it out slowly. In the end it turned out great though, I went from 27 to 38 in some hours (almost 40k ADAM), did some challenges for kicks, and had a lot of fun, from figuring out "silently" what to do and how to rotate, to the last-10-sec killing sprees :p

Tiny did and does a great job, and so do the other people that helped. Also, the "randoms", that became "regulars" :)

Your boosting method is similar to mine, which I wrote 6 days ago. Have a look

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/bioshock-2/37730-boosting-method-discovered-800-adam-per-game.html

Whilst your method focuses on completing trials, mine focuses on players taking turns to hold the sister for under 3 mins, for high ADAM. However, both of our methods is based on the same concept, with hacking the turrets and playing ADAM grab.

My thread got closed since it became a boosting thread, which already exists. However, please feel free to copy my info and paste it onto your original post. That way, people have more than one option.

:)

Edited by ashiano

Sounds like fun and an easy way to level up, count me in. send me a F/R. I am in the USA (central time). I am on the last level of my hard playthrough and will finish it tonight when I get off work. I will be free to boost anytime after that. Thanks

PS... Great tips and strat for boosting.

btw.. I am at about lvl 23

Edited by HoBoZ

Your boosting method is similar to mine, which I wrote 6 days ago. Have a look

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/bioshock-2/37730-boosting-method-discovered-800-adam-per-game.html

Ak !! I should've given you full credit for your idea and original post Ashiano. I clean forgot to mention that our success today was based off your original thread that you created. Please accept my apologies if I did offend you... it wasn't my intention.

We definately used what you posted to great success. We started off holding the sister at 1st, but then I accidentally held her for 3:00 ending the match early. After learning from that, we started rotating her with early prompts of gunfire shots to my head from others, but that still had people stopping their hacking sessions and switching to baby sitting duty. I was averaging roughly 800-1000 during those games.

When we switched to the "everyone on 100% hacking duty and ignore the little sister" mode, I instantly saw an score improvement to about 1400+ consistantly with every round. It's only through this trial and error experimentation that we found this out (even though it was posted in your earlier thread). I think the 200 bonus to everyone coming 1st is definately easier than baby sitting duty as one can truly lay back on the couch, with their eyes closed counting "1-2-3 X" on repeat with little disruptance. Talk about the height of laziness :rolleyes:

Guys - what I must stress is... don't let this thread become a place for boosting requests. Already I've seen 1 boosting thread request come in. Keep this thread open for tips and tricks, and general boosting advice. Not boosting requests. Use the Boosting Request thread that's out there already to request help with boosting... not this thread or else this thread faces getting locked by moderators.

Thanks again for you guide Ashiano. We definately used your advice and took it from there. It was just missing some small points like "how does one start an ADAM GRAB match?!" lol. And how to deal with Randoms ;)

P.S. If you are boosting... spice it up by alternating every 3rd hack with a rolling pin melee hit to your partners head for a laugh !!! There's nothing more character building than a parter that randomly hits you throughout the match and then tries to kill you in the last 10 seconds ! LOL :whistle:

Edited by Tinytone

Excellent boosting instructions survival guide Tinytone! Seems like you really put a lot of time/effort into it. Everything you said is dead on. I honestly thought boosting was damn near impossible on this game. I went from level 26 to 35 though just by pressing x every few seconds. Thanks again for putting the group together today and taknig control of things. Job well done!

the funniest part of last night was when Tiny had extreme difficulty in acknowledging that the game 'ADAM Grab' even existed lol 'there is only team adam grab' .... :whistle:

very productive, finally reached level 40.

as already stated, make sure you invite the random into the chat and they will be helping out in no time.

the funniest part of last night was when Tiny had extreme difficulty in acknowledging that the game 'ADAM Grab' even existed lol 'there is only team adam grab' .... :whistle:

LOL !! True true. That reason alone is why I made this guide. Everytime one of you guys said "Hey Tiny... just host a new game"... I broke out into a cold sweat and would reply with... errr "Just bare with me ok guys!".

I couldn't believe my luck when I accidentally scrolled down and saw "ADAM GRAB" staring right back at me ! WOOOT !!! Finally I can host my own games and stop bugging ESPJH2 and SerialKilla to start the matches up !!

lol. Definately a fun and very productive day. :applause:

Tiny...thanks again for all the help earlier today. it was huge for a beginner to multiplayer. A bunch of us played most of the day. I got up about 7 or 8 levels and will be on again in about 4 or 5 hours for awhile. Hope to see everyone online again. It's almost fun ganging up on the randoms and killing them everytimethey showup.

Peace out.

Ak !! I should've given you full credit for your idea and original post Ashiano. I clean forgot to mention that our success today was based off your original thread that you created. Please accept my apologies if I did offend you... it wasn't my intention.

No worries. No need to apologise mate :D

Your guide is thorough and well written.

You might want to ask a mod to get it stickied.

No worries. No need to apologise mate :D

Your guide is thorough and well written.

You might want to ask a mod to get it stickied.

Ya I really think it would not hurt to have it stuck...

I don't think this game needs to be boosted it really really easy from what I played its not some hardcore MP really laid back but from what I was reading it seem like it would work and is easy to do so why not have it stuck to help others thats what a guide is for ^^

Just to touch on something that was mentioned in the instructions...it's imperative that Speedy Hacker is equipped as a tonic once you unlock it. Many times I was slowed at a turret by someone who didn't have it yet (not their fault) and while it took me 2 seconds to hack the turret it would take them 6 seconds. Do the math and you can see how many points you give up in a 10 minute time frame.

So in other words be sure to have Speedy Hacker equipped ASAP!!! :D

...Do the math and you can see how many points you give up in a 10 minute time frame...

3 hacks every 10 seconds = 18 hacks per minute.

In 10 minutes, you could theoretically get a maximum of 180 hacks in, although realistically, you'll probably lose about 15 seconds getting to your 1st turrent.

180 x 10 hack point = 1800 max in one game.

Plus the 200 bonus for coming 1st assuming no-one touches the sister and the maximum you could get is 1800 + 200 (2000).

I've come close: my personal best being 1940. But on average, you're looking at about 1700+ adam per round.

But, as PowerCobra said... it's vital that the speedy hacker tonic is equipped.

3 hacks every 10 seconds = 18 hacks per minute.

In 10 minutes, you could theoretically get a maximum of 180 hacks in, although realistically, you'll probably lose about 15 seconds getting to your 1st turrent.

180 x 10 hack point = 1800 max in one game.

Plus the 200 bonus for coming 1st assuming no-one touches the sister and the maximum you could get is 1800 + 200 (2000).

I've come close: my personal best being 1940. But on average, you're looking at about 1700+ adam per round.

But, as PowerCobra said... it's vital that the speedy hacker tonic is equipped.

Might I add that when your turret goes gung-ho and fires constantly eventually leading it to break, the Repair Turret Tonic would help.

I knew people would find a way to boost this game. :p

A very nice guide, and clever of you to come up with it. I'm already at level 34, with about 25000 ADAM until level 40, and now that I'm starting to kick some serious ass on Survival of the Fittest, I think I'll just stick with playing for fun. :)

I think it's pretty sad, to be honest. Don't get me wrong, I love earning trophies, but the whole point of them is an accomplishment/reward for achieving something. Is exploiting a loophole (i.e. cheating) really that rewarding for a lot of people? I dunno. I got my Rank 40 the hard way, and it was a particularly rewarding experience because I'd earnt it, rather than cheating. And make no mistake, you can sugar coat it all you want, but that's exactly what it is.

Just my two penneth. Commence flaming.

I reached 34 the hard way before I realised there was a method to boost. You know what? I'm pissed off too, but only because I didn't know about this boosting method earlier. XD

So long as there are MP trophies, there will be boosting. If they want to eliminate boosting, they can simply just not add MP trophies as opposed to searching for every loophole trying to ensure that there is absolutely no method to boost.

Because there always is.

was boosting last night and now i'm up to lvl 38, 2 more to go!!!! Its funny when u convert random enemies into boosters but some can still be quite annoying. We had a dude at lvl 23 yesterday and he kept killing us and finally realised it wasn't a reg match and decided to join us, but he would kill u if u stayed on a turret too long and he'd always carry the lil sister up to 2:59, but at least he cooperated and kept dropping her in time, that bitch also gained the most as he went up 8 levels during that time lol

• 3 weeks later...