So which is better?

Ashley2K

The story was definately better in 1, for me. Plus it had that shock value (no pun intended) when first playing it and experiencing Rapture and what it holds.

However I think gameplay in 2 was better. Being able to dual-wield plasmids/guns makes it really fun and convenient. Although that seems to speed it up a bit which turns the game into much more Action than the original.

Being a Big Daddy is also cool as well as dealing with the little sisters this time around. But, other than the drill and making loud noises when you jump, I don't FEEL like a big daddy. I think mostly because of how those splicers can hurt you so bad in comparison to how tough big daddies seemed in the first.

I guess weighing those, I liked the 1st more, but the 2nd is still a good game to me.

The story for BioShock was amazing. The twist in the story, that no one saw coming, gave a reason for a second play through to notice what was being told to you early in the game. BioShock 2 didn't live up to story of the first. They should of had Kevin Levine involved with it.

The game play, in my opinion, was better in the second than the first. The weapon system was a lot better than the first. I liked not being confined to 6 combat tonic, 6 engineering tonic, and 6 physical tonic slots, but being able to have no engineering tonics when I didn't want them like during the Final Assault. But, one thing that wasn't as good as the first was the damage taken. You are a Big Daddy with full health upgrades and you drop in 5 hits. Seriously!? I walked Rapture with Jack on Survivor with just my wrench, a few wrench tonics, and Electro Bolt and never took that much damage from a group of Splicers.

BioShock 2 could have blown BioShock out of the water (no pun intended) if only the story was better. If they do decide to make a BioShock 3, they had better bring Kevin back for the story.

Tough one to answer.

[Possible Bioshock spoilers in this post so read with care]

I loved the Sander Cohen stage in Bioshock 1 and the W-Y-K twist was KILLER BRILLIANT !! The game was moody and dark and scared the pants right off of me in certain places (e.g. Trail of bandages into a misty room towards a small table with a tonic on it and then the room mists over and then BAM !!!! You know what I'm talking about! That was downright brilliant!)

There were loads of places that scared you like that.

Now thinking about Bioshock 2, I was in awe of the Rapture Environment. It was moodier, more darker than Bioshock 1. They perfected the lighting algorithms and (I'm guessing) started off with pitch dark rooms and then added light to it to light it up. Bioshock 1 didn't have this lighting. Everything was lit up and constant. Bioshock 2 has BRILLIANT lighting !!

Things I loved about Bioshock 2:

- Flames + Shadows + creepy running shadows behind you

- Improvements to the Water!! I know that 2K hired a water programmer exclusively to do the water in bioshock 1 and damn was it good ! But in Bioshock 2... it was even BETTER and more real than before !!!! Can you imagine how hard it must be to code something like that?! Hat's off to the water guys !! Hats off to the flamage and lighting guys !!! These improvements, although small, are brilliant and add to the brilliance of the improved rapture environment.

- Paintings/Advertisements/doors are older and more faded. More seashells and coral throughout the level. Brilliant !!

- Under water scenes were breathtaking. LOVED IT !!

- No big boss fight at the end? Who cares? It's too cliche anyway. I loved Bioshock 2's storyline and levels.

- Playing a bid daddy and protecting the little sisters whilst they harvest was brill brill brill ! I loved how in no1, the big daddies are the enemy and in no 2, you play "the enemy".

People have knocked the multiplayer mode on Bioshock 2, but I think it's pretty cool too. Plasmids + Big Daddies + different game modes is alot of fun.

I could keep on rambling for ages, but in conclusion, I'm going to go against the grain and say that no2 is better. It's deeper, richer and fills in alot of the rapture history, culture and war between Ryan and Atlas (genius !). It expands on the world that we know and have come to love, and I LOVE THIS !!

Edited by Tinytone

Bioshock definitely had a better story. The twist was amazing and you cannot deny that. I'd still have to say I enjoyed Bioshock 2 better though because I didn't enjoy the gameplay much from the first one. The stroy can be fantastic but it all comes down to gameplay. If you want good story and bad gameplay then watch a movie.

The story was definately better in 1, for me. Plus it had that shock value (no pun intended) when first playing it and experiencing Rapture and what it holds.

However I think gameplay in 2 was better. Being able to dual-wield plasmids/guns makes it really fun and convenient. Although that seems to speed it up a bit which turns the game into much more Action than the original.

Being a Big Daddy is also cool as well as dealing with the little sisters this time around. But, other than the drill and making loud noises when you jump, I don't FEEL like a big daddy. I think mostly because of how those splicers can hurt you so bad in comparison to how tough big daddies seemed in the first.

I guess weighing those, I liked the 1st more, but the 2nd is still a good game to me.

This says it all for me.

Story=Bioshock 1 is better

Gameplay=Bioshock 2 is better

I too like Bioshock1 better... though i havent finish bioshock2 yet.

In bioshock1 you could travel back in forth between lvl giving a more "free-roaming" fell to it, in bioshock2 you leave a lvl and thats is, feels more linear.

Playing a big daddy isnt really new cos you played one in B1(althou it was pretend). Gather ADAM by protecting little sister is very cool. the gameplay in B2 is more refined.

But i feel that overhaul that B1 was better graphics than B2, the lighnting is rubbish and some of the texture are flat out bad. But the water is trully awesome.

The online animation are very bad, but the gameplay is ok.

The game design was better in B1... B2 takes place 10 years after the fall of Rapture but we see better tech now. Don't understand why change the bathesphere for a train.

In B2 some of the voice are not the voice from the original game, that breaks continuidy for me.

In B1 the big daddys were a hard to kill in B2 not so much i have more trouble against splicers(the bullet really eat at you health) that actually big daddys. Big sister are so so.

Anyway resuming Bioshock1 is a better game than Bioshock2

I finished the game yesterday and I can say that BS1 still is my favorite. BS2 is a great game but there are things that really pissed me off.

The main one is that you never feel like you're a Big Daddy...I mean you take 3 or 4 shots and you're almost dead...seriously what the fvck? In BS1 you control a human person that can take the same amount of damage without any armor, it just doesn't make any sense. And no, I don't care if you're playing as a 'prototype' Big Daddy, there's simply no excuse for something like that.

Also, why are you given an option to harvest a little sister? Why the hell would a big daddy do that? Doesn't make sense.

Anyways, BS2 was good but not as good as the first one.

Bioshock 1 was much better in terms of story, not to say that Bioshock 2's story was bad by any means, it was just much more personal and not quite as shocking or epic as the original.

Bioshock 2 definitely has the better gameplay with the dual-wielding capabilities of Plasmids and weapons, the major differences in upgraded plasmids, and much more entertaining fights all around.

So, it really depends on what you favor in the game. Personally though, I like the first one more. :D