Hard Mode Guide

ashiano

Hell-o!

I have compiled a list of tips that will help you when playing on Hard difficulty.

Feel free to add any tips you may have and I'll add it here, crediting you of course.

1) Save constantly! Create multiple save files and save every few minutes whether or not you have Vita Chambers disabled.

2) Always search every area, corner and corpse! You need all the extra cash, ammo and tonics you find tucked away.

3) Always hack all cameras and turrets! They help you greatly, especially when you are fighting large number of enemies or even tough opponents such as the Brute splicer, Big Daddy and Big Sister.

4) Don't waste unnecessary ammo! With the right tonic, your drill does great damage when used as a melee attack. By all means, feel free to use your weapons, but save most of your ammo for the Big Daddy and Big Sister.

5) Max out your research on all the subjects! Not only will that net you a trophy, but the rewards received, including the tonics when you complete a subject, help vastly in Hard mode.

6) Use the Gene Banks to your advantage! If you need to buy First Aid Kits for example, temporarily equip the necessary tonic that reduces the prices in the vending machines, buy the goods, then swap the tonics when you're done.

7) Spend your ADAM wisely! Don't buy plasmids/tonics which you don't plan on using. Having said that, all the plasmids/tonics are there to help, and with the right usage, they can be the key to success.

8) Don't give up! If you're constantly dying, than change your strategy, or come back to it later. Taking a break works wonder.

9) Hack a vending/health machine and intentionally fail the hack by stopping in the orange zone. Then run to the closest "disable bots" panel and disable them. Repeat several times until you have 6+ bots lying around. Enable 2 as guards and then take the ammo from the rest for free ammo. Repeat as often as you like. (credit to Tinytone)

10) One of your bots on fire? Use the trick above and then disable your bot and enable a new bot for full health. (This is until you get the repair tonic). (credit to Tinytone)

11) Hack a security camera and then start attacking the big daddy when he's walking past the camera. The bots should come out and do a lot of 3rd party damage against him. (credit to Tinytone)

12) You can only place a maximum of 10 proxy mines at one time before they start detonating themselves. Before a big fight place 2 mines onto a gas canister and use telekenisis to throw them at big mobs (Bid Daddy's, Big sisters, Brutes etc) for massive damage. (credit to Tinytone)

13) Get the "Fountain of Youth" Tonic asap by researching Spider Slicers as much as possible. You'll then be able to replenish eve and adam when you stand in water. If you walk around with your camera equipped whilst during your "Research phase"... you'll at least be able to to spot the spider slicers hiding on the walls in areas that you've already visited. (credit to Tinytone)

14) When playing on Hard mode, play an evil character for maximum adam. Adopt a little sister and harvest 2 bodies with her which will net you 40 x 2 = 80 adam. (120 if you have the parent tonic). Then harvest her for 160 adam instead of 80. This will allow you to buy more tonics and slots early on in. If you play the game on normal or easy mode, play the good guy and save all girls and story related characters for the trophy. (credit to Tinytone)

15) The Security Command 3 plasmid is totally invaluable. They do absurd amounts of damage if used in conjunction with the Deadly Machines tonic. You can simply create one and if you have the Fountain of Youth tonic on (as everyone should IMO), you can regen til you have enough to safely create another without the use of a EVE hypo. That way you can walk around with two beastly turrets that A: act as a full time decoy, and B: do HUGE amounts of damage. The decoy alone means that you don't actually have to use the plasmid Decoy, which is two birds with one stone. (credit to F8l-Fool)

Hope this helps

:)

Edited by ashiano

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5) Max out your research on all the subjects! Not only will that net you a trophy, but the rewards received, including the tonics when you complete a subject, help vastly in Hard mode...

I was actually somewhat concerned that I wouldn't be able to get this trophy during my hard play-through. So, am I correct in thinking that I can? If so, do you have any tips specifically for the Big Sisters, with regard to killing and researching?

I was actually somewhat concerned that I wouldn't be able to get this trophy during my hard play-through. So, am I correct in thinking that I can? If so, do you have any tips specifically for the Big Sisters, with regard to killing and researching?

Winter Blast lvl 3. =)

Yea you can, just make sure you research every chance you get, if you miss some, get their bodies.

I pretty much leveled my research 1 time every fight with a Big Sister, it really isn't all that hard. Freezin' them works good and I also kept them on fire as much as I could, and used Armor Piercing rounds.

some more tips that I can add...

9) Hack a vending/health machine and intentionally fail the hack by stopping in the orange zone. Then run to the closest "disable bots" pane and disable them. Repeat several times until you have 6+ bots lying around. Enable 2 as guards and then take the ammo from the rest for free ammo. Repeat as often as you like.

10) One of your bots on fire? Use the trick above and then disable your bot and enable a new bot for full health. (This is until you get the repair tonic)

11) Hack a security camera and then start attacking the big daddy when he's walking past the camera. The bots should come out and do a lot of 3rd party damage against him.

12) You can only place a maximum of 10 proxy mines at one time before they start detonating themselves. Before a big fight place 2 mines onto a gas canister and use telekenisis to throw them at big mobs (Bid Daddy's, Big sisters, Brutes etc) for massive damage.

13) Get the "Fountain of Youth" Tonic asap by researching Spider Slicers as much as possible. You'll then be able to replenish eve and adam when you stand in water. If you walk around with your camera equipped whilst during your "Research phase"... you'll at least be able to to spot the spider slicers hiding on the walls in areas that you've already visited.

14) When playing on Hard mode, play an evil character for maximum adam. Adopt a little sister and harvest 2 bodies with her which will net you 40 x 2 = 80 adam. (120 if you have the parent tonic). Then harvest her for 160 adam instead of 80. This will allow you to buy more tonics and slots early on in. If you play the game on normal or easy mode, play the good guy and save all girls and story related characters for the trophy.

Edited by Tinytone

any idea on what the must have plasmids are

I never used cyclone trap, never really used freeze much

After my first playthrough it seemed like plasmids lvl 2 and 3 didnt really increase damage. Never bothered charging them up as it took too long during large battles.

some more tips that I can add...

9) Hack a vending/health machine and intentionally fail the hack by stopping in the orange zone. Then run to the closest "disable bots" pane and disable them. Repeat several times until you have 6+ bots lying around. Enable 2 as guards and then take the ammo from the rest for free ammo. Repeat as often as you like.

10) One of your bots on fire? Use the trick above and then disable your bot and enable a new bot for full health. (This is until you get the repair tonic)

11) Hack a security camera and then start attacking the big daddy when he's walking past the camera. The bots should come out and do a lot of 3rd party damage against him.

12) You can only place a maximum of 10 proxy mines at one time before they start detonating themselves. Before a big fight place 2 mines onto a gas canister and use telekenisis to throw them at big mobs (Bid Daddy's, Big sisters, Brutes etc) for massive damage.

13) Get the "Fountain of Youth" Tonic asap by researching Spider Slicers as much as possible. You'll then be able to replenish eve and adam when you stand in water. If you walk around with your camera equipped whilst during your "Research phase"... you'll at least be able to to spot the spider slicers hiding on the walls in areas that you've already visited.

14) When playing on Hard mode, play an evil character for maximum adam. Adopt a little sister and harvest 2 bodies with her which will net you 40 x 2 = 80 adam. (120 if you have the parent tonic). Then harvest her for 160 adam instead of 80. This will allow you to buy more tonics and slots early on in. If you play the game on normal or easy mode, play the good guy and save all girls and story related characters for the trophy.

Thanks for your input. I have added these in my original post, crediting you.

any idea on what the must have plasmids are

I never used cyclone trap, never really used freeze much

After my first playthrough it seemed like plasmids lvl 2 and 3 didnt really increase damage. Never bothered charging them up as it took too long during large battles.

I agree. I never actually upgraded any of my plasmids to level 2 or 3 (except temporarily for a trophy) since charging them takes time, which leaves you vulnerable to enemies.

I used Electro-bolt and Incinerate throughout as my primary plasmids. I only bought Winter Blast in Persephone and used it there. I would recommend buying and using Winter Blast earlier on as it's very effective against all the enemies, including Big Sisters.

I never used any other Plasmids, and when I finished Hard mode and got the (P), I had over 1500 ADAM left. :p

I agree with what Ashiano said.

Incinerate, Electrobolt as your main plasmids, and use winter bolt to kill big daddies and sisters. Personally, I've upgraded my incinerate to level 2 and combined it with the inferno tonic for massive fire damage on normal splicers mobs. Enemies (on the hard setting) die within seconds of being set alight... so incinerate as my primary plasmid ftw. Incinerate Level 3 seemed to become a flame thrower and I wasn't convinced this was better than my level 2 long distance throwing incinerate counterpart. So I wouldn't recommend level 3 (of course this is just my own opinion - I'd welcome any feedback on incinerate v3)

Towards the end of my first normal game run, I had so much Adam to spare that I started splashing out on all the plasmids, just because I could. I played around with the insect swarm Level 3 plasmid which was fun. I'm currently on my hard playthrough and I think when I see Level 3 insect swarm pop up, I'm going to buy all 3 plasmids then and start using that, as that did great damage, created insect bombs and kept the splicers distracted long enough for me to put a couple of antipersonal bullets into their faces ! :whistle:

The Security Command 3 plasmid is totally invaluable. They do absurd amounts of damage if used in conjunction with the Deadly Machines tonic. You can simply create one and if you have the Fountain of Youth tonic on (as everyone should IMO), you can regen til you have enough to safely create another without the use of a EVE hypo.

That way you can walk around with two beastly turrets that A: act as a full time decoy, and B: do HUGE amounts of damage.

The decoy alone means that you don't actually have to use the plasmid Decoy, which is two birds with one stone

Is the hard mode in BioShock 2 easier than Survivor difficulty in BioShock 1?

Yes! I've just recently finished survivor mode on Bioshock 1 and then moved straight onto Bioshock 2 on the day that it came out (good timing on my part). I'm busy playing Bioshock 2 on the hard mode and it's definately alot easier than the Survivor mode in Bioshock 1. Anyone else agree/disagree with me?

In Bioshock 1 Survivor mode, there was no way that I could melee opponents without losing a lot of health and being close to dying. In Bioshock 2, melee'ing is possible using the drill and is a pretty effective way of killing Big Daddies, Brutes and Big Sisters. I don't think you can compare the melee'ing in both games as one was a swinging wrench whilst the other is a continous drilling motion.

The plasmids are far stronger in Bioshock 2 and the splicers die pretty quickly, compared to Bioshock 1 Survivor mode.

What are the best weapons to use, and is it best upgrading them, i remember on BioShock 1, i used the wrench and winterblast and this worked great, this tactic any good with the drill?

:think::think:

This is all down to personal taste. I personally prefer to always have 2 body guard flying bots with me and tend to incinerate mobs (with inferno tonic equipped) and to mow down the remainder of their health with a machine gun. I hoard all my drill fuel, grenades, traps, mini-turrets for boss and harvest fights. So, the machine gun is my most popular weapon so far.

Using the drill combined with the drill tonics (frost, more damage, etc) and winterblast is a sure fire way to beat down any of the hard bosses so you're not far off with this tactic.

The Security Command 3 plasmid is totally invaluable. They do absurd amounts of damage if used in conjunction with the Deadly Machines tonic. You can simply create one and if you have the Fountain of Youth tonic on (as everyone should IMO), you can regen til you have enough to safely create another without the use of a EVE hypo.

That way you can walk around with two beastly turrets that A: act as a full time decoy, and B: do HUGE amounts of damage.

The decoy alone means that you don't actually have to use the plasmid Decoy, which is two birds with one stone

Thanks for your input. Added your tip above in my original post, crediting you :)

No-one seems to have mentioned Telekenesis which is easily one of the most important Plasmids to use on Hard Mode. Key benefits....

1) It uses a lot less EVE per usage than the other Plasmids

2) Use virtually anything as a projectile. Some of the stuff you can hurl does huge damage.

3) It also allows to you grab some otherwise unreachable stuff for free is you use the "Free Telekenesis" trick (as explained in another thread).

4) Using the "FreeTelekenisis" trick also allows you to bring valuable items with you from earlier in the level and horde them at points where you'll face a lot of resistance.

5) It also enables you to create elaborate traps for some of Ratures more resilient residents.

6) Return explosives such as grenades, mines and petrol bombs to the sender for free explosive damage.

The main tip though for Bioshock 2 on Hard Mode is just to be smart. Look at your surroundings and use whatever there is to your advantage. I.e, you spot a patch of oil on the floor, use Telekenisis to stick a couple of explosive barrels/gas canisters on it. Lure enemies to that spot, Incinerate it and watch the fireworks. Lots of Leadhead splicers around? Use Hypnotise. Use the research camera and friendly bots to your advantage. Overall its a breeze compared to BS1. After you clear Paupers drop you start getting a lot of strong tonics/plasmids and the game does get truly hard from then on (bar a few scripted battles here and there)

I am terrible at shooters. Ryan Amusements saw me dying/reloading a number of times, but I'm now on Pauper's Drop with $800 and pretty much full everything. If my hard playthroughs of other games I'm not very good at are any indication, by playing smart I should stay in pretty good shape for the whole rest of the game.

This game is really forgiving. Hack everything, use your drill, and you'll be friggin' fine.

And this is my first playthrough.

To be honest, after sirens alley the game took a nosedive in difficulty, I had full pockets of money and I always seemed to find health kits, even when I didn't need them.

Electrobolt and winterblast were my key plasmids.

Upgrade the rivet gun ASAFP, the third upgrade sets enemies on fire, and buy the headhunter tonic, two shots(1shot1melee) downs all normal splicers and headshots are hard to not do on alpha daddies, 4-5 shots and their down easy. This makes enemies small time once you get good at headshots, 1 HS WILL kill at first with the headhunter tonic, but they get upgraded as you progress, with the fully upgraded rivet gun, headshots will enflame enemies, leaving them open for your attacks.

Edited by Jack

my problem is spider splicers. Even on easy they took forever to kill\did alot of damage. My game is getting better though as I progress. I fear the alphas though

Not looking foward to reaching them on hard

Alphas are pretty easy indeed.. with a plasmid combined with some good weapon such caliber rounds or something you'll be able to defeat them as fast as the other enemies... you'll find a lot trough the game since they appear first time.

what does the level 3 security command give you as i have never really used it, but if its that useful as some people say i might:o

I believe it summons a powerful security bot, like the kind that Grace sends you as you leave Pauper's Drop.

Word is, combining that with Fountain of Youth essentially gives you two powerful bots which also draw enemy fire away from you (like decoy) for no Eve cost. If you splice up with Hardy Machines, Deadly Machines, and Handyman that's a force to be reckoned with.