Thoughts on ACII

QLITCH

ya im likeing it alot. it didnt like the first one too much at all.

i liked modern warfare 2 alot also. I didnt like the single player in the past 3 call of dutys. with shooters i usually only buy it for the multiplayer. But i still havent played a GREAT single player shooter since halflife 2.

im about to play brutal legend. i dont have high expectations though. Even though i heard it was awsomn. we will see

I cant get enough of it. Its definatly better then the first one and more entertaining.

Even though it has its flaws, but its nonetheless one heck of a game.

I also just love the atmosphere in the citys, its so filled with life its stunning. I even stopped for a few minutes just to see whats going on and what the folks are doing, they even greets each other and stuff.

-Hardknox

I love those "ancient secret orders and hidden history" style stories, so AC2 was awesome. Plus its just fun running round poisoning guards and watching them flail away with their swords :D

Loved the ending, explained a lot about the direction of the series and cant wait for AC3.

I am obsessed with the came right now. I love it. It's not perfect by any means, but it's a huge step up from the first one, which I thought was great as well. Tons of stuff to satisfy my completionist needs.

I've played maybe 20+ hours and I just got to Venice. I love just running around and randomly assassinating guards. They did a great job in that regard with the amount of satisfaction you get out of it.

The amount of side stuff you get to do in this game alone makes it better than the first game. I never thought I'd like Ezio more than Altair, but I was completely wrong -- Ezio is a bad ass!

The things I liked the most about this game:

1- There weren't 400 flags to collect!!!

2- Variety of weapons to choose from, along with upgradeable armor

3- The Assassin's Tombs and Subject 16's puzzles were the best parts of the game

4- "It's a-me, Mario!" :D

5- "What. The. @#$%." What an amazing ending!!! And the sequence during the credits was equally brilliant! Made me want to play AC3 right after!

What I didn't like that I want to see improvements on:

1- Having to return to the manor so many times to retrieve income and change gear. Too much of a hassle.

2- Too easy. Seriously. This game was WAY too easy. The hardest missions usually involved trying to protect other (weaker) NPC's, otherwise, Ezio just demolishes everything.

3- Too repetitive. I hate saying it, but I still wished to see more diverse sidequests in this game.

4- Main boss fight wasn't NEARLY as cool as Al Mualim from the first game.

5- Minor technical issues such as popping and tearing. I hate when NPC's just show up out of nothingness and start walking on the street. Also, my game did freeze sometimes and failed to load properly. The game also had a few glitches, and we haven't gotten a patch yet.

I wasn't that big on the story from AC1, just more in love with the open world environment they created and the stunning visuals. It was also a pretty fluid platformer, and it set a bar that every other game had to match in 2008. But the story in AC2 really pulled me in, and it definitely paid off the crappy ending from the first game where you were left standing in a room with no way out and nothing to do but go back in the Animus and find the rest of your flags. AC2 wasn't a day-one purchase for me, but after playing it, I guarantee AC3 will be one of my most anticipated games of the year... probably not until 2011 though.

For me, there are two kinds of games:

(1) Play once through to enjoy it's greatness, then again to get all the trophies.

(2) Try to minimize play through to get all the trophies in one pass (still can be a good game, but not worth the extra effort).

I haven't gotten Assassin's Creed 2 yet, but plan to soon. Which category do you guys think this game falls into?

I hated autoclimbing and jumping from ledge to ledge. Take the Uncharted series, Prince of Persia, and Infamous. Jumping and climbing took pressing a button, usually "X". With AC1 & 2, you just constantly hold "R1" and "^". That gets boring for me. Hard to explain, but I get more satisfaction with interacting with the envirnment, even if it is just pressing the X button.

Final Boss was way too easy. Everything in this game is easy, except controlling Ezio. I swear the controls in this game upset me at times. It seems like there is a split second delay in controlling Ezio, and if you mess up he'll go flying off somewhere you don't want to go.

I swear the controls in this game upset me at times. It seems like there is a split second delay in controlling Ezio, and if you mess up he'll go flying off somewhere you don't want to go.

This is the exact same reason why I'm not really fond of the Race side quests. It just takes so much trial and error. And by "error" I mean Ezio suddenly doing a 180 and jumping off the top of a building and breaking his legs when all you want him to do is climb a wall.

Overall, though, I have thoroughly loved Assassin's Creed II.

The first game bored me to tears after half of the DNA sequences and I rushed through the rest just to get it over with. I just couldn't deal with the repetition in the mandatory side quests and even the main assassinations felt a bit shallow. Loved the graphics, the concept and the gameplay, but when I had to sit down and listen to the assassination target's dying monologue (for five freaking minutes), I wanted to hurl my controller through the wall. Well, I'm exaggerating, but still...

Assassin's Creed II improved in about every aspect I can think of. The side quests are optional and ironically, I love doing them a lot more now. And the main quest is broken up into smaller tasks that all tie into the story. That, for me, is the biggest improvement: the story is far more coherent and you actually care for these characters, both main and supporting. When the final DNA sequences came around and the storyline starts coming together, it gets downright epic, it really made you feel like Ezio was part of something so much bigger.

The little things helped, too. I loved being able to just run around without having to worry about attracting attention. The first Assassin's Creed had you walk like a monk at a snail's pace half the time and the moment you even thought about running, you'd have half the city's army on your back. Also, the new "wanted system" is an improvement, being able to swim adds depth and realism, the interaction with people on the street (courtesans, mercenaries, thieves) is fun and the day and night cycle makes everything feel just right.

Yes, Assassin's Creed II is a very, very easy game. You can beat most guards with your eyes closed and when you're dealing with the stronger opponents, I found that simply facing them unarmed and doing the disarm move works pretty much every time.

But then, you are playing a damn assassin.

For that reason, I liked the difficulty level just fine. This simply is not the kind of game that would work were you to end up facing a boss character that you had to hit 400 times before he went down, while he would only have to hit you twice before you died and had to restart the mission. We have Prototype for that. ;)

In closing, only the cut scene graphics were not that great. Especially the cut scenes in the "present". Other than that, easily one of the top three games of the year.

Edited by Moving On
Typo

i've just finished it and i have to say it's everything AC1 should have been. AC1 was kinda fun because of the whole assassin + hidden blade thing but all the chapters were way to repetitive. but this one.... woooow. interesting story, the whole free-roaming with the villa upgrade stuff, the variety of weapons really adds to the replay-value.

it ain't perfect still has quite some stuff that could've been done better with little effort but all in all it's really up in the top-5 ranks for this year. one thing i'd like to see in AC3 is an improvement of the fighting. because with the wrist blades and deflecting you're pretty much unstoppable.

AC1 brought in the all new super sick assassin idea with Altair kicking ass. And every thing that AC1 missed out on, ubisoft brought in AC2. New character even cooler than altair if thats even possible. Swimming, Customizable weapons, costumes, the villa, great cut scenes, new music, new era and most importantly; The amazing storyline.

Great link between AC1 and AC2 with a flowing and creative Storyline.

Definately the game of the year for 2009 :applause:

Ya know, I'm just happy to get something out of my collection efforts for once. Gathering 420 flags in the first game isn't something I would have done if I hadn't gotten achievement points for them. At least here, collecting feathers and "the Truth" glyphs pays off in a reasonably satisfying way. Definitely one of my picks for GOTY, though it was glitchy at times, and I totally agree with Hagugulley about the controls.