Xbox is taking a note from demon's souls... for every game... to far M$...to far....

McKayStyles

Ok, now Xbox is overwhelming the shit out of me… its one thing that my net flix account is attached to my 360 so I watch movies instantly, and update and talk to friends over Facebook instantly, 1 vs 100 is pretty much the most awesome game show ever playing with thousands of other people at the same time… but now their taking it to far… taking a note from demons souls xbox live is trying to do the same thing with every title, so you never get stuck! I understand they never want me off my xbox, but this feature will be annoying, no game will ever be a challenge again! + all the features natal will add, this is strictly insane! They are making an xbox so much more than just a gaming machine… my girlfriend’s mom just bought one from netflix and Facebook and she actually likes the arcade games a lot as well as 1 vs.100… she will never use it for any other thing, she just wants it for when natal comes out, holy crap M$ … your making irobot! From ixbox.

And wouldent you know it? Me and my g/f JUST got her a ps3 for Christmas so she can have a blu ray player and now im pissed because when I hinted she might be getting that she gave me a funny look and said “ I don’t play video games” and I was like “ what about the xbox?!” and she said “ that thing is more than just a gamestation!” so now I need to buy her a new gift and prob give the ps3 to someone who actually wants it and will use it.

News article:

New Super Mario Bros Wii has gotten a lot of attention for its Super Guide feature, but apparently Microsoft has been planning a similar helping hand for a year. Siliconera reports that the company's game platform strategy director Andre Vrignaud has filed a patent for user-submitted game guides over Xbox Live. According to the patent, the system detects where a player is stuck, and accesses a database with user-made tips for that section. Given the innate desire of experienced gamers to brag, and the inconvenience of stepping away from your TV to access a FAQ, it seems like a win-win. And since it would be controlled through the Xbox Live interface, Microsoft wouldn't have to manage a new guide for every individual game.

The authoring features allow users to capture screenshots and video clips, and to use a digital pencil to mark them. It also may allow for audio commentary and tags, and developers can submit their own guides that will take precedence over user-created guides. There are obvious problems to be ironed out. Handing users a digital pencil is bound to lead to phallus-laiden guides if there isn't some form of quality control, and audio commentary could lead to all sorts of slurs. Not to mention, smaller games may be overlooked by the majority of the guide-making community, so a player getting stuck in a little-known title would simply stay stuck.

Right now this is only in the patent phase, so there's no telling when, or even if, the guides will show up. But if Microsoft gets the kinks worked out, this would be another step towards marketing the Xbox 360 towards less experienced gamers, a move we already know they're keen on with Project Natal. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgWUtw0sbro]YouTube - Project Natal Video Game, E3 09 Project Natal Intro[/ame] - go check out what natal is binging to the table.

Anyone else think consoles should just play games and leave it at that?!

its an interesting idea... if using a gamefaqs guide was as easy as pressing the PS button to see to see it right there on the TV in an easy-to-navigate manner, i would probably use them ALOT more. if they are going for something more like demon souls though, user-created hint system sorta-thing, that would be terrible. either way, i dont think something like that would happen for a while.

So... Microsoft has annoyed you with too many new features? A seamless Netflix integration, chat, Facebook, Twitter, Last fm, and now something that ideally will deliver Gamefaqs straight to your console. I don't see the problem here. Granted, some of the features I mentioned I couldn't give two shits less about, but they're all optional. I'm sure this guide thing will be as well.

dude, its annoying in the regard that im playing lfd2, having a blast and then one of my party members blurts out some random crap, i say " what ere you saying" and he says, oh i was just updating my facebook n twitter status and im going to order a pizza right quick, all from his center button, w/out leaving the game. i wanted to boot him, im here to play games.

Wait wait wait....your angry Microsoft are trying to broaden the appeal (and hence, their user base) to include more than just the hardcore gamers??

I...ugh....wow, I really dont know how to come back to that. I could throw some comment about how Nintendo focused on the casual market with the Wii and has outsold the 360 and PS3 for years now, Sonys push to have the PS3 recognised as more than just a games console (the "It Only Does Everything" ads) or the explosion in popularity in casual online games and social network sites.

As for FaQ's ingame, how many times have you had to look up how to finish a particualr mission or find the last hidden collectible to get an Achievement/ Trophy. Sure just look at how many Trophy guides are on this site alone, if your not being forced to use it then why complain?? And the guy who updates half way through a game......if he ran of to the bathroom in the middle of a game would you complain that architects put bathrooms in houses nowadays??

• 3 weeks later...
Wait wait wait....your angry Microsoft are trying to broaden the appeal (and hence, their user base) to include more than just the hardcore gamers??
Damn straight. Rather than bring us worthless crap like a Facebook client or Twitter client, both of which actually manage to be worse than using them on a computer browser (I didn't think either could get worse before the 360's update came along), they could have spent the resources used to develop them towards something that actually supports gaming and makes it better.

Sony is especially bad with this. Really, just kill that crap you call Home and use those resources on something gamers actually want, like cross game chat. Or, oh look! This update adds a worthless feature that lets the PS3 post your trophies to Facebook! How useless, you could have done something that actually improves the console, but instead you put in something stupid. Quit wasting time trying to bring in the casual crowd: They still won't give a shit about you anyway, they already have a Wii.

Speaking of Wii, Nintendo is actually becoming the most hardcore of the three companies when it comes to gaming. At least they still remember that their game console is a game console.

Edited by mjc0961

Sony is especially bad with this. Really, just kill that crap you call Home and use those resources on something gamers actually want, like cross game chat. Or, oh look! This update adds a worthless feature that lets the PS3 post your trophies to Facebook! How useless, you could have done something that actually improves the console, but instead you put in something stupid. Quit wasting time trying to bring in the casual crowd: They still won't give a shit about you anyway, they already have a Wii.
Agreed. If the purpose of your console is to bring in the casual crowd you don't introduce a system with a starting price of $799.

As for HOME, I would really like to see the amount of revenue it takes in per month, but I agree it is a complete waste of time. It will never be;

Friend 1 "OMG! I have to buy a PS3!"

Friend 2 "Because it has HOME!!!"

Does anyone know a PS3 user that bought their PS3 strictly because of HOME? I tried to get into it. I really did. I visited HOME right up until they released the Red Bull area. I did the updates. Watched the Twilight preview in the Theatre. Played billiards, danced, played the UFO game, tried to bowl, played the boxcar train game. Then said to myself "WTF am I doing? I get maybe 4 hours a week to play on my PS3. WTF am I doing wasting them in HOME?!" That was the last time I ever visited.

Facebook on my PS3? Pass.

Netflix? Sure, but seeing as I'm in Canada I won't hold my breath.

Lastly, I'll repeat something I said in my M.O.M. interview;

"I would gather Sony's entire XMB team into a room and tell them to get their heads out of the sand. Sparkles in the last update? Are they mad?"

Edited by FiftyQuid

Does anyone know a PS3 user that bought their PS3 strictly because of HOME? I tried to get into it. I really did. I visited HOME right up until they released the Red Bull area. I did the updates. Watched the Twilight preview in the Theatre. Played billiards, danced, played the UFO game, tried to bowl, played the boxcar train game. Then said to myself "WTF am I doing? I get maybe 4 hours a week to play on my PS3. WTF am I doing wasting them in HOME?!" That was the last time I ever visited
You played Home for that much? I gave it a few hours on the first day. I danced a little, I tried to bowl but all the things were full (WTF was that about?!). So I tried to play pool but all the things were full again (WTF?!?!?). So I tried to play an arcade game, but all of THOSE are full too! Really Sony? Really? You have to take realism to the point where I can't play a game if someone is already using it? Argh.

But you know what I can do? I can quit Home, and put an actual game and play it right away without any false "social interaction" bullshit. You might be able to chat with other gamers, but you're still sitting your fat ass on a couch in front of a TV.

And yeah. They've probably improved Home a bit since I used it last, but really, what would be the point? More spaces? Oh goodie, now I can be bored in a room that looks like Uncharted 2 or R&C A Crack in Time! That sounds like so much more fun than actually playing Uncharted 2 or A Crack in Time! Oh wait. :whistle:

Agreed. If the purpose of your console is to bring in the casual crowd you don't introduce a system with a starting price of $799.

As for HOME, I would really like to see the amount of revenue it takes in per month, but I agree it is a complete waste of time. It will never be;

Friend 1 "OMG! I have to buy a PS3!"

Friend 2 "Because it has HOME!!!"

Does anyone know a PS3 user that bought their PS3 strictly because of HOME? I tried to get into it. I really did. I visited HOME right up until they released the Red Bull area. I did the updates. Watched the Twilight preview in the Theatre. Played billiards, danced, played the UFO game, tried to bowl, played the boxcar train game. Then said to myself "WTF am I doing? I get maybe 4 hours a week to play on my PS3. WTF am I doing wasting them in HOME?!" That was the last time I ever visited.

Facebook on my PS3? Pass.

Netflix? Sure, but seeing as I'm in Canada I won't hold my breath.

Lastly, I'll repeat something I said in my M.O.M. interview;

"I would gather Sony's entire XMB team into a room and tell them to get their heads out of the sand. Sparkles in the last update? Are they mad?"

Lol, good dedication dude. I gave home a shot for about 15 min and started a dance party… then I realized I felt very ashamed of myself playing that crap with uncharted just chillen in my disk tray

• 1 month later...

Did you guys forget that the PS3 has an internet browser ?

Gamefaqs , pizza , etc can all be viewed , ordered , etc .

Microsoft is soon to be like SEGA .

M$ customer support is located in some India City , that represent M$.

M$ has too many flaws for me to go back to my 53K Gamerscore .

The 360 system is so hacked , that has messed the gamerscore , piracy to another notch ; nor , do i care to continue to speak about it .

PS3 is my new love since December 2009 & she knows what i want !:ass:

Blu-ray , wi-fi , region-free games from Japan , PSN Region-free NETFLIX , JAPAN home servers , & not many fat kids on my team.

In due time , the PS3 will RISE & not dissing any 360 fanboys , due to the fact i used to be one!!!!

Edited by MainComptonese

• 3 weeks later...