The multiplayer demo will be massive

Pesico

From IGN.com:

September 11, 2009 - Back in June, a handful of PlayStation 3 owners got tapped to participate in the multiplayer beta for Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. Players could take on a co-op mission, blast each other in deathmatch, and go after some golden idols whenever they felt like it. People seemed to be having fun and enjoying the taste of what was to come.

Now, Naughty Dog's going to blow that "taste" out of the water with a massive Uncharted 2 multiplayer demo that is open to anyone with a PS3 and the Internet.

There's so much going on in this demo that's it's really hard to pick where to begin describing it. I talked to the developers the other day, and they said the purpose of this freebie is to give you as much of the multiplayer game as they can in a reasonably sized file. So, you give Naughty Dog 1.5 GB, and they're giving you four maps, four competitive modes, two co-op modes, the much-hyped cinema mode, the ability to create custom games, access to new skins, about 80 percent of the boosters you'll find in the final game, and so much more.

Fly through the latest map, you wannabe Drake.

If they weren't planning on shutting the demo down around the time the game ships on October 13th, there's a good chance people would play this forever.

In terms of maps, you're getting the same Plaza and Village settings you played on or at least saw during the beta along with the Ice Cave and Temple. Both of these locales are described as smaller venues that are going to be a blast for close-quarters combat. The Ice Cave, of course, is going to feature that snow you're always seeing in the Uncharted trailers while the Temple will pack water sections and plenty of opportunities to flank opponents.

Similarly, Deathmatch and Plunder are back this time around -- both packing variations such as different difficulties for Plunder and weapon sets such as shotguns/snipers and pistols/grenades for DM -- but joined with Elimination and Chain Reaction. A round-based game, Elimination has two teams squaring off with the objective of killing everyone on the other team. Wipe out the other guys three out of five times, and you're the big winner. Chain Reaction has you capturing flags, but you have to do them in a specific order - one team works out from their base needing to capture 1 through 5 while the other team starts out from their home and needs to snag 5 through 1.

If you don't like any of the default settings, this demo's going to allow you to mess around with the options for sore limits, friendly fire and so on as well as letting you set up matches for just your friends. If you play with strangers, the new skill ranking system will pair you with similarly experienced players.

Of course, all of this multiplayer mayhem plays into the game's cinema mode where you can save matches, replay them, move the camera around, and do nifty green screen stuff. All of the tools that will be in the final cinema portion of the game are going to be here for you to play around with.

A final feather in the demo's cap is that it's going to have the fully fleshed-out money/store system so that you can take the cash you're earning in multiplayer and buy new skins, boosters, co-op weapon upgrades and taunts.

We expect the Ice Cave to look like this.

We expect the Ice Cave to look like this.

Sadly, none of the stuff you unlock and none of the cinemas you create will carry over to the retail release of Uncharted 2. Similarly, your multiplayer rank will be wiped when the final game hits stores. However, Uncharted 2 packs a built in Twitter link and it's going to be active in this demo. If you enter in your Twitter username and password, the game will automatically Tweet your special accomplishments.

So, when is all of this greatness coming to a PS3 near you? Well, if you preorder the game from GameStop, you can get into the demo exclusively from Sept. 15 to Sept. 28, 2009. On Sept. 29, 2009, the demo will open to everyone and stay that way until Uncharted 2: Among Thieves is out on the streets.

Happy hunting.

Source

Can't wait to check out Cinema Mode and I love that the game supports twitter! Even the demo does.

...Twitter. *suffers aneurysm*

If the actual game modes themselves aren't any better from what they had in the beta, Naughty Dog will lose every last ounce of respect I ever had for them as developers.

Then again, it's IGN, and once again they haven't cited an official source and an official source cannot be found elsewhere (Naughty Dog's site and the Playstation Blog both have nothing regarding any of that), so the entire thing could also be a red herring.

Either way, the only thing to do now is wait and hope that the game won't suck.

i have a beta code, but will not participate because of no carry over -_-

So you guys are telling me you wont play it at all ? Just because of no carry overs ? That's lame. They are giving more maps then the first beta and new game modes. At least try it and maybe play it for a week or so. If the final game is anything like the initial beta then leveling/ranking up is not even that bad.

So you guys are telling me you wont play it at all ? Just because of no carry overs ? That's lame. They are giving more maps then the first beta and new game modes. At least try it and maybe play it for a week or so. If the final game is anything like the initial beta then leveling/ranking up is not even that bad.

im just saying im not playing the beta. played the first one and got an idea of what the gameplay is like. I know I will buy the game already. I'm just saying I don't want to play it if my rank will get wiped.

Did you even read the article ? it clearly says nothing carries over.

I merely skimmed the article.

I never said I wouldn't play the demo. I'm just planning on playing it briefly to merely get a feel of it it.

Then again, it's IGN, and once again they haven't cited an official source and an official source cannot be found elsewhere (Naughty Dog's site and the Playstation Blog both have nothing regarding any of that), so the entire thing could also be a red herring.

They talked directly with Naughty Dog, so either you trust them or you don't. As for twitter, why even bother? For people that don't have twitter, it's just a small setting in the game and won't be bothering anyone.

You're hatred towards the online multiplayer never stops to amaze me. Almost everyone I talk to have enjoyed it. And as for Naughty Dog, it's the one developer I respect the most and they will also share theire technology to help other developers. So feel free to not respect them, but do not expect much people to feel the same way.

From IGN.com:

Source

Can't wait to check out Cinema Mode and I love that the game supports twitter! Even the demo does.

Have you asked GameStop in Norway about that date? I tried, when I preordered, and they didn't have a clue!

Seems we get screwed on some of the offers in our country, I preordered Batman as well from GameStop and didnt get Dem Bones and Crime Alley DLC...

Have you asked GameStop in Norway about that date? I tried, when I preordered, and they didn't have a clue!

Seems we get screwed on some of the offers in our country, I preordered Batman as well from GameStop and didnt get Dem Bones and Crime Alley DLC...

I'll probably call them and ask next week. At least we get a taste of it from 29th.

I'm also pretty stumped as to why carryovers matter too :/
Likely because the multiplayer is so poor, you want to play it as little as possible. Just get what you need for the inevitable fail that is multiplayer trophies and then forget that the multiplayer never existed. If demo stats don't carry over, then it's just more time than needed playing it which I can understand why people would want to avoid that.

They talked directly with Naughty Dog, so either you trust them or you don't. As for twitter, why even bother? For people that don't have twitter, it's just a small setting in the game and won't be bothering anyone.

You're hatred towards the online multiplayer never stops to amaze me. Almost everyone I talk to have enjoyed it. And as for Naughty Dog, it's the one developer I respect the most and they will also share theire technology to help other developers. So feel free to not respect them, but do not expect much people to feel the same way.

They did? They might at least mention that. They never give a source whatsoever, so for all I know the guy writing an article had a dream that this happened and thought it was so bad-ass that he wrote an article about it. There isn't even a single quote from anyone at Naughty Dog in this, nothing at all to give anything in the article an ounce of credibility.

As for your second paragraph... Stuff like that never ceases to amaze me. Why do people always think that anyone not liking something means that they're trying to make other people not like it too? Why the need to say "don't expect people to agree with you"? I'm not trying to make anyone agree with me and I certainly don't care if they do. And why the "wow I can't believe you didn't like the beta"? Is it really that surprising that not everyone likes a certain game? I don't mean to turn your world upside down, but there actually are people that didn't like the first Uncharted. But this is nothing to be surprised over at all: everyone's tastes are different and there will never be a single universal game that every last person on the planet will like. So all the surprise over someone not liking something... Really, it should go away. There's no reason for it.

Someday I'd like to rally a bunch of people that didn't like the newest hit game, and have them all go to people that do like it and have them say how surprised they are that they did like it, just to turn the tables a little bit. The double standard here is ridiculous and for once, the people who just go "i like this game it's fun" should suffer some scrutiny.

I respect that you don't like it, I'm just saying I'm amazed for why you seem to hate it as much as this, that you loose all respect in Naughty Dog, a company that helps other developers and obviously are creating a quality package of a game even you like it or not. Or maybe you don't think it is quality? As an example, I don't care for MGS4 at all, but I can easily see the game is pure quality/well made. I guess that was my biggest point. If you like it or not, then that's fine by me.

Personally, I don't mix wether I like things or not with respect.

Edited by Pesico

No no no. My loss of respect would be if they didn't make any improvements at all to the MP game since I played it in the beta while adding in features like Twitter that, while they may be fun for some people, do a whole lot of nothing to improve the game itself. To me, that would be a huge slap in the face.

Losing respect for them never had anything to do with just plain not liking the MP mode.

If you don't like the multiplayer to begin with, they're probably not gonna implement any improvements that you'll see fit to gain respect for them.

So yes, your lack of respect stems from thegfact that you didn't like the multiplayer.

I found the beta to be enjoyable, and to be honest, if the game shipped and the multiplayer was EXACTLY the same as it was in the beta, I would still love it.