Don't buy Gladiator on BluRay

jordan79

Gladiator was released on the 1st, I think. Anyway, not sure how to put this, but the quality is shit. Maybe its my standards, but the quality is soft and waxxy as hell. I'm watching it in 1080p/24. Really dissappointed. They put loads of extras, hours of new stuff in there. Whats the point when the quality is ass?

It has both theatrical and extended cuts btw. Time to wait another 2 years for a re-issue then. :rolleyes:

the fact that they slapped the transfer with way too much noise reduction and tossed in some edge enhancement and on top of all that some automated scratch repair that removed bits of image (a few arrows, a chunk of spear, etc) is made much worse when you view the extended scenes which have not been molested by all the damn filtering

it's called having a wide dynamic range in the audio mix... the wide dynamic range and your listening environment aren't getting along if it causes a problem for you

you can turn dynamic range compression on or adjust the acoustic properties of the room

I shouldnt have to feng shui my living room to be able to hear speech.....but I got ya

By the way I hear Braveheart has been given a similar release ('Sapphire') but is the exact opposite, i.e. one of the best BDR's released to date, quality-wise. Still, its a shame. Gladiator is still the best 'sandles' movie out there.

did the 300 spartans wear sandals? cause if so Ill have to disagree

I was too busy watching all the awesome to notice footwear