Platinum = Unfair

ZunePod

I agree, but only because I'm good at the guitar, don't own any of the other instruments and don't have anyone IRL to play alongside with (meaning none of my friends play GH, not that I don't have any friends :p)

But seeing as though it's a full band game, its probably to be expected.

But to keep up with the competition of Rock Band they changed it to what is now should be called "Band Hero" O wait they are already making a game with that title.

Yeah I noticed that, I think they should split up the trophies somehow, like a plat for guitar and a plat for drums.

The platinums aren't meant to be just little things to say "I'm good at a certain part of this game." They're meant to say "I am amazing at all facets of this game." If it was just for guitar then that wouldn't be true, you could be good at guitar but not good at the other instruments or as a band. While I do agree that the platinum isn't one that you'll get easily and it may be unfair that you have to put so much money and time and effort into it that still doesn't change what the platinum is a statement of and you shouldn't complain about the game because of it.

I agree, if the platinum were dumbed down, we'd end up with situations like Terminator Salvation where people just play it to get platinum trophies. At least if anyone gets a platinum in this game, they thoroughly deserve it... don't forget that the hardest song (Through the Fire and Flames) is probably hardest on guitar. I did that song on expert vocals and expert bass first time without practice, so a platinum for getting it wouldn't really prove that I pwn the game.

~ squodge ~

The platinum definitely is unfair, because they make some of the achievements impossible, such as the one where you have to score 5* on Raining Blood on Expert+ drums. That's something you can't do unless you're one of the best players out there. I respect making earning the platinum into a feat, but there's a point where developers cross the line.

• 3 months later...

I dont really see any problem with it being impossibly difficult because that is what makes the game for me so fun.. going for the impossible trophies :)

I dont see myself getting platinum on this though because one of the trophies are broken and two of them are nearly impossible to attain without practicing a hell of a lot first =/

It sucks too because i only needed bloody feet and hail the reverend then the platinum would be a breeze =[

It only seems imposibly difficult because each instrument is an entirely different skill, consider yourself lucky they didnt make any hard trophies. like i dunno, 95% notes hit on ttfaf drums or maybe 5 staring raining blood x+ WITHOUT star power.

What if they made earn 100% on TTFAF :o

I would just give up straightaway..

• 2 months later...

100% on TTFAF wouldnt be a problem, if the trophy would be like that ;D

Just choosing Easy on Guitar or Beginner on Vocals and bam! :D

Yeah, there could be harder trophies, but they already are pretty hard.

And i wouldnt say its unfair because of the instruments. I think its an improvement that activision added the other instruments to that game, because its much fun and more people can play together.

• 1 month later...

Actually, I've thinking about this a bit more. If we look at other games, they too have you do more than just the 'core' part of the game.

Call of Duty, World at War: This is the only one I've played. Sure, it's your usual FPS. But there is a level that half consists of using the sniper rifle - and this is a completely different skill from normal shooting. You need to be fast, accurate, and patient. In normal gameplay, you don't need to be fast as your men are helping you, same with being accurate and patient - they help, but not nearly as much as on the sniper level.

Ice Age 3: It's a 3D platformer, much like Mario World 3D, I guess. However, there's a flying sim, a lot of 2D platformers, and then there are speedruns. So that's a few different skill sets we're asked to perform.

Bioshock: Yup, another FPS. But there are a lot of mini games of "connect the pipes", which requires good spacial skills, as well as accuracy and fast reflexes (especially when hacking safes).

So I think in the long run it's fair to have a Platinum for Smash Hits that requires serious skills in guitar, bass, drums, and vocals. It's obviously not impossible when a few people have Platinum in the game.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand why people complain about hard trophies. Isn't this what it's all about? Sure, I have some easy plats, but I'm not bragging about it. I mean, getting through that egg challenge in Ice Age isn't anything special. However, yeah, I'm pretty happy that I beat the endless setlist, alone, in one go on expert in RB2, and I have the trophies to remind me of it.

There are a precious few games out there that really mean something to get trophies in. This is one of them. No, I don't have the platinum, and I probably never will (after my failure to get 4 vs. 4 trophy in Metallica, I'm not so keen on trying it AGAIN here, and winning 50 online matches sounds positively horrible), but the journey is 99% of the fun.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At least it wasn't as easy as GH:Metallica in regards to "finish the career on Expert" where the last song was retarded easy on Expert. TTFATF is a worthy last song. I won't be getting plat because I don't do the full band thing, but I'm pretty decent on drums, I might have to bang out some of these secret trophies.

• 4 months later...
I don't understand why people complain about hard trophies. Isn't this what it's all about? Sure, I have some easy plats, but I'm not bragging about it. I mean, getting through that egg challenge in Ice Age isn't anything special. However, yeah, I'm pretty happy that I beat the endless setlist, alone, in one go on expert in RB2, and I have the trophies to remind me of it.

There are a precious few games out there that really mean something to get trophies in. This is one of them. No, I don't have the platinum, and I probably never will (after my failure to get 4 vs. 4 trophy in Metallica, I'm not so keen on trying it AGAIN here, and winning 50 online matches sounds positively horrible), but the journey is 99% of the fun.

It is. I was lucky though, I found a boosting partner (well, he found me lol), and we decided to bash it out in one go. We decided to take turns losing, i.e. whoever was losing would strum open notes straight away to lose the match. We got 50 wins each after 40 minutes :)

At least it wasn't as easy as GH:Metallica in regards to "finish the career on Expert" where the last song was retarded easy on Expert. TTFATF is a worthy last song. I won't be getting plat because I don't do the full band thing, but I'm pretty decent on drums, I might have to bang out some of these secret trophies.

Yeah, I remember playing the game and thinking "oh my God, that last song is going to kill me". And then I beat it first time with 5 stars on expert. I mean, WTF? They should have at least put Battery as the last song, at least that's more worthy of a career ending tune.