What is this game like?

Well as far as story goes, it's basically intentionally silly yet fun (except when[spoiler=1] going through the Conquest Ending which is quite depressing).

All 3 Hyperdimension Neptunia games are basically a parody of what goes on in the game industry with characters and lands in the game representing consoles and handheld systems with a few Japanese game companies making their own characters. Oh and they're all cute Anime-style female characters except for maybe a few bosses and minor NPC characters.

Gameplay is pretty much turn-based but can move around your characters a little bit unlike the 1st game. You can create your own combos. If you liked Trinity Universe, you'll love this game. You go on quests but you'll also get story events as you progress.

It's kind of a semi-action RPG. I mean, you don't just select commands from a list, but it isn't a real time action battle either

The gameplay goes like this:

[spoiler=longtext]You select a city (this is just text, you can't actually move in the city) and pick a quest, then you enter a dungeon. You can move around freely in dungeons but all of them are small and there's almost nothing to explore

Well, while you move around you'll see monsters moving as well, if you touch one of them a battle will begin. In battle you control 4 characters, one per turn (there's a list showing who's next turn), every character has a moving and attack range, once you are close enough to attack you can start a combo (which you can customize with different attacks), you can also use skills and other stuff

Once you complete the quest you go back to the city and repeat the same process with new quests

Yeah, there's more stuff and mechanics, but that's basically what you do to beat the game. The gameplay is Ok but it isn't the forte of this game

If you want this game for the gameplay, you better leave this one alone. But if you're interested in the story and nice anime visuals, this one might be pretty good option

The story is fun, Shuffle explained a bit of it, everything is a big parody about the game industry so you'll find well known things as Pac-Man's Ghosts or random Pipes from Mario as enemies. Every usable character is a girl that represents a company or console, and they talk about gaming and girl stuff (don't even dare to play this if you can't stand girls talking all the time :D )

I don't know what to say, I was in the same situation as you and I liked the game since I love everything published by NIS. But if you don't like the humor and anime characters... It's a hard choice since you haven't played any game like this (or at least none shown on your YGC profile)

Watch some videos, if you like what you see, give it a try. This game also has like... I don't know, 20 or 25 pieces of free DLC which is very good

Well, sorry for the wall of text, good luck with that choice. Here's the trailer in case you haven't seen it before

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnFfHLiURlM]Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2 Official Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

I didn't play the first or Trinity Universe, should I check them out? This game is also expensive as hell, is it worth it?

Well you don't have to play Trinity Universe but it is comparable to Hyperdimension Neptunia since they're both made by most of the same companies(except the 3rd Hyperdimension Neptunia which I believe drops NIS and Gust as the game companies that were involved with both series).

Hyperdimension Neptunia 1 will feel like a downgrade from the other 2 games in the series. Unless of course you want to play it to experience more of the characters from the 1st game who just happen to be in all 3 games with not too much of a role in the 2nd one even though they're there).

Being worth it is a hard thing to really say. I mean many people enjoyed Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 and Trinity Universe, but you have to basically be a person who enjoys Anime-style humor. If you're new to that kind of humor, maybe Trinity Universe or the 1st Hyperdimension Neptunia are better to experience 1st since they're more mild.