Can somebody fully explain this riddle?

stickghost

That train riddle on Normal (so spoiler alert I guess.) This puzzle has really pissed me off. I needed to look up the answer when I first got the game, then I just had to look it up when I played this game again in a Silent Hill marathon. For your convience, I have it here:

Jutting underneath cerulean sky

Are rocky cliffs where my heart lies.

Eyes twinkling with emeralds fair,

My darling left me weeping there.

But her shadow can't take away

These bronze cliffs at end of day.

The first time I played I got the whole color thing. Problem: each line refers to a color. So that's 6 colors (1 repeated) but the code is only 4 inputs. After much head scratching, I gave up. In hindsight, I can see that the first pair of lines is a red herring. Sky and lies doesn't really ryhme, unlike fair/there and away/day. So thus those colors are eliminated, leaving four inputs.

Of course, everything's easy in hindsight. Whoever thought this riddle up can burn in Hell. Putting a red herring into a riddle is a pretty dick move. I'm already racking my brain trying to figure out a logic from what you tell me; how am I supposed to detect when you're slipping in a LIE to me? Riddles are cryptic and often misleading, but they shouldn't be outright untruthful.

Back to the present, I had forgotten about this riddle. I soon remembered the red herring. So the combo is green, blue, gray, bronze (orangish). NOPE. What? After much head scratching, I shrugged and went back to the Internet.

It's blue-green-gray-bronze. The ORDER in which the colors are input are relevant. Now just where are you supposed to figure that part out? Gray and bronze are in order, but blue and green are switched around.

None of the FAQ's I read provided a decent explanation. Did only 1 person figure this out on their own and everybody else had to ask or guess?

That train riddle on Normal (so spoiler alert I guess.) This puzzle has really pissed me off. I needed to look up the answer when I first got the game, then I just had to look it up when I played this game again in a Silent Hill marathon. For your convience, I have it here:

Jutting underneath cerulean sky

Are rocky cliffs where my heart lies.

Eyes twinkling with emeralds fair,

My darling left me weeping there.

But her shadow can't take away

These bronze cliffs at end of day.

The first time I played I got the whole color thing. Problem: each line refers to a color. So that's 6 colors (1 repeated) but the code is only 4 inputs. After much head scratching, I gave up. In hindsight, I can see that the first pair of lines is a red herring. Sky and lies doesn't really ryhme, unlike fair/there and away/day. So thus those colors are eliminated, leaving four inputs.

Of course, everything's easy in hindsight. Whoever thought this riddle up can burn in Hell. Putting a red herring into a riddle is a pretty dick move. I'm already racking my brain trying to figure out a logic from what you tell me; how am I supposed to detect when you're slipping in a LIE to me? Riddles are cryptic and often misleading, but they shouldn't be outright untruthful.

Back to the present, I had forgotten about this riddle. I soon remembered the red herring. So the combo is green, blue, gray, bronze (orangish). NOPE. What? After much head scratching, I shrugged and went back to the Internet.

It's blue-green-gray-bronze. The ORDER in which the colors are input are relevant. Now just where are you supposed to figure that part out? Gray and bronze are in order, but blue and green are switched around.

None of the FAQ's I read provided a decent explanation. Did only 1 person figure this out on their own and everybody else had to ask or guess?

I thoughtof it like this.

Blue (as in sky) line 1

Green (as in emerald eyes)

Gray (as in shadow)

Orange (as in the bronze mountains)

I don't know if that's how it was meant to be solved though

Although it took me a while not to add in red for heart!!!

Well, I also got blue from 'weeping'. You know, water is blue. Granted, it's not a great equation to make to tears, but then again shadows aren't really gray either. Black would be closer to a shadow- but gray is obviously the closest choice provided. But heart definitely refers to red, yet that's not part of the answer. There has to be something else to this riddle other than guessing.