The Story...

DylanVylan

What would any of you say is 'the story' more or less, if there is one? I'm guessing the game is just designed to be as it is and isn't nessecarily meant to be 'interpreted' and i usually think people who are always looking to explain art need another hobby but i thought i would annoy myself this time and ask.

perhaps my analysis comes from playing this game with a bunch of buddies all sitting around tripping out a bit feeling pretty good and lov'in this game...

My/our guess is the game is post apocolyptic and nature, the spirit or perhaps the essence of all life is held within the wind and the enviroment. As the wind you must carry life from one single sprouting of life in one single flower and bring spirit and essence to all other things.

As you create life and continue to blow accross the land each life you created adds part of itself to your universal essence that you then bring to the next patch of life and keep spreading the feeling until there is enough to bring even greater life.. to life. so to speak.

a slight variation.. is that all of this happens within the dreams of flowers. the flowers having this dream are having them because they site on a widow sill staring out at the vast electronic wasteland of city 'life'. feeling detached, isolated and hopless over a human influenced world that itself is detaching from life and spirit the flowers dream of this post apocolyptic world where life becomes so important for life to continue.

• 4 weeks later...
a slight variation.. is that all of this happens within the dreams of flowers. the flowers having this dream are having them because they site on a widow sill staring out at the vast electronic wasteland of city 'life'. feeling detached, isolated and hopless over a human influenced world that itself is detaching from life and spirit the flowers dream of this post apocolyptic world where life becomes so important for life to continue.

This exactly. I have recall correctly the idea is actually that you play the dreams of the flowers. As you progress, you'll see more and more human influences on the environment (windmills in level 3, artificial lights in level 4) with level 5 (the electricity) as absolute low.

I don't now if you noticed, but if you play through a level the first time, when you come back in the room, the flower blooms a bit. If you found all secret flowers in the level, it blooms some more. It seems the flowers are happy with what they dreamt about, perhaps memories. This happens for all flowers EXCEPT no. 5. This one keeps hanging down. No wonder, considering the level feels more as a nightmare (including the Pure trophy) than a nice dream.

Playing stage six yesterday a couple of times for my last trophies (Urban and Nature) I thought it showes that a natural and urban environment can go hand in hand. Also notice the images of the city in the ending movie of the section. They look less depressing than earlier images of the city during earlier dreams.

• 1 year later...

The story is a post-modernist view of Jesus and his followers, or Christianity in General. Jesus started as one person and spread his beliefs about his 'Father' over the land. Gradually he gathered more followers with his speeches and magic tricks, until he became a threat and was crucified. He then was resurrected and went to the higher place or next level so to speak. His words were then left to his disciples to spread until dark times could extinguish them. As seen in the 5th level, there is always one follower no matter how many shocks you get, it still keeps going. Eventually the dark times end and Christianity flourishes.

OR it is a very pretty flight simulator.

• 8 months later...

I just see it as a symbolic story more than anything solid and defined. Flowers which have been torn from their rural home are adapting to life in an unrelenting urban environment of steel and concrete. They 'dream' of the world they came from and eventually form some sort of compromise in which they restore colour to the urban landscape (it's still a city but it's not as bleak as it originally was). The changing background of the 'main menu' when you find all secret flowers is a sort of happy ending in my opinion: like the owner of the flowers moves from the city apartment to the countryside and the flowers are restored to the clean open air once more.

Just a few thoughts really. The story isn't defined and that's surely deliberate, it's not needed to appreciate the experience that this game provides and it just forms a rough framework for the blissful joy of playing.