Which is harder?

I was just wondering what people found harder on the Vita. Finishing the game on the extreme difficulty or doing all of the VR Missions? Or anything else.

Just finished my Normal difficulty run and I struggled a bit with the tengu fight and the metal ray fight!

Regards the VR Missions it has taken me 11hrs to get to 30%! Weirdly still enjoying it though.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just wondering what people found harder on the Vita. Finishing the game on the extreme difficulty or doing all of the VR Missions? Or anything else.

Just finished my Normal difficulty run and I struggled a bit with the tengu fight and the metal ray fight!

Regards the VR Missions it has taken me 11hrs to get to 30%! Weirdly still enjoying it though.

To be honest, I gave up on trying to beat this entirely on Vita. I trasfarred my saves over to PS3 where the controls are a little tighter and the screen is a lot bigger. I use non lethal kills and the dot for the M9 is just too small for me to see on Vita.

I still need to finish my Extreme run, Snake Tales and VR on PS3, so I might as well kill two birds with one stone. The only thing that bothered me was I had to back up and delete my VR save on PS3 before transfarring the Vita save. For some reason you can have multiple saves for the Tanker and Plant chapters, as well as Snake Tales, but only one for VR.

I have hit a stumbling block on the sniping section (hard mode). I have been trying for the last hour to do this with no success.

The combination of the poor sniping mechanic of the game (does Raiden really suffer from parkinsons or has he got the shakes from a heavy night out before) and the over sensitivity of the thumb stick makes this too hard.

I have tried just using the PSG1 and run out of ammo (can't use the wig because you need the Thermal Googles to see the soldiers) and I have tried using PSG1 for the first 4 soldiers then switching to the wig and the stinger missiles to finish but I am not even getting across the 2nd section. You do get a funny codec message though when you are thinning out the seagulls with stingers Lol.

I do not have the PS3 version of this so the option to switch consoles is not there, any tips or tricks that people can help with this or do I have to man up and just try harder?

Finally did it using mostly Stingers. Shot the Claymores and the first 4 guards using the drugs and the PSG1.

Switched to the Stingers and the infinite Ammo wig and went nuts. By the time Snake phoned to offer help there was only 1 cypher left and not a seagull in the sky.

The only bad part was when three soldiers show up on the 2nd strut. It's quite hard to keep them from shooting E.E when the stingers take so long to get there.

Glad that's over, next challenge is the Tengu room and the Metal Ray fight. I am trying so hard to Platinum this on just the Vita because a friend bet me I couldn't!!

Metal Ray Gear fight is kicking my arse!!

I get the principle and what I need to do to attack and avoid but damned if I can get through this.

Anybody know exactly how many I need to kill on the Hard difficulty and the code names of the last batch?

I have tried about 30 times so far and there is a harder difficulty to go yet, gulp!

Metal Ray Gear fight is kicking my arse!!

I get the principle and what I need to do to attack and avoid but damned if I can get through this.

Anybody know exactly how many I need to kill on the Hard difficulty and the code names of the last batch?

I have tried about 30 times so far and there is a harder difficulty to go yet, gulp!

I think there are 15 on Hard difficulty. Check the boss data in the Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty HD (Vita) - Trophy Guide and Roadmap for some good tips on this fight.

I haven't played this game in a few days since i'm actually stuck on one of Snakes VR missions (you gotta snipe 26 guys before they get to a wounded girl) It's goddamn annoying so i'm probably going to struggle to plat this game since most people from what i have read have been having trouble with MGS1 snake and i'm not even that far ahead yet :eek:

Finally finished my Hard playthrough, yay. I just hope that Extreme is not too much harder. Got hand cramp now so going to take a break.

The time difference between saves before and after the Metal Ray Fight (skipping cutscenes and codec messages) was nearly 3hrs! Most of the fights were over within 5 mins as well! :applause:

Finally finished my Hard playthrough, yay. I just hope that Extreme is not too much harder. Got hand cramp now so going to take a break.

The time difference between saves before and after the Metal Ray Fight (skipping cutscenes and codec messages) was nearly 3hrs! Most of the fights were over within 5 mins as well! :applause:

I am on extreme now, it's not that hard (yet), main differences are:

- you can't find any rations - you need to get them from specific soldiers, so it's best to stock up them (you can have 2) before bosses because...

- bosses take much less damage, you take a lot more...

so actually the main difficulty comes down to beating bosses.

I just knocked down that Harrier, took me ~10 tries. What was most frustrating is that even if you are perfect, you can die in a second. This is because one time the rocket will hit you, the other time not - even if you are standing in the same place & cover. It's kinda luck based from what i noticed. One rocket in the face = instant kill.

Anyway, I don't think Vamp will be much trouble.

The sniping section may be, but I found a way. At any node, change you inventory managing from "unequip" to "previous". This way you can scan the area with Thermal Goggles and if any soldier/cypher shows, target him/it and with one push of the button switch to wig for infinite ammo. Kill him, switch again to thermal and repeat. This way you only need to focus on getting Penzatemin, BUT if you will stand in correct place on the platform, where it shows, you will pick it up automatically:) This method works great also with MGR fight where you switch between Stinger Launcher and Chaff Grenades on the go.

Tenchu guys + Metal Gear Ray... yeah this will be a pain, as I will probably use all my rations on Tenchu guys, so I will need to kill 20 MGR's without being hit... ;/

Solidus... are you joking? He won't even touch me:)

I have also started the Extreme run. Just beat Fatman on only my second go. Got lucky though as he spent ages out in the open at the north end of the platform and I could don the infinity wig and go nuts with the Socom/Usp (can't remember which). Not even any bombs to diffuse at the end either.

I have just picked up my 218th dog tag so do I need to collect any more or is this definitely enough? Hate to think I have to do this again!

There is a trick to the tengu fight that I saw on YouTube where you tranq snake and then use coolant on the tengus whilst hiding but not sure if it works on the Vita version? Anyone clarify this? :think:

Good luck Vamp.

Well I am about 50 tries down on the Harrier and once I managed to get his health to just under half, lol.

At least with the Metal Ray fight you can get into a kind of rhythm, with the Harrier his attack patterns seem to vary and I spend most of the time running around in a box!

I will get there but had to take a break for now before I break something. Also it's so hot and my hands are sweaty!! Grrrr...

I do not think I have ever spent as much time trying to beat a boss as this Harrier. I still have not done it and I must of tried about 200 times.

I hope the sense of accomplishment is enough to dispell the crushing annoyance I feel at not being able to do this.

I always die at the same time, running up and down the stairs to dodge the missile attack. Once I got to needing 1, maybe 2 hits but most times there is still half a health bar left.

I can't do the flip over the railing trick so I have to wait for the main missile attack (where I die) and then shoot the hovering Harrier afterwards.

I have had quite a few beers now so my chances tonight has not got any better.

Lol congrats dude, after that much effort if you don't plat it i would feel mortified for you :p

I am not looking forward to doing any of this since i haven't even started dog tag collecting/extreme mode or half the VR missions. I am still stuck trying to do the 2nd sniping mission as Snake on VR and that's frustrating me as it is. I will probably never plat this game as i lack the skill :rolleyes:

Think I will have to finally call it quits on this Platinum.

On the sniping section it feels impossible to hit the 2nd section of Claymores. The tiniest tap on the thumb stick and the reticule moves miles. The Claymores are a long way away so you have to zoom in and this just makes the sensitive aiming worse.

Annoyingly I have made it to the end of this section twice without knowing there was Claymores there! Now I know there there and I can't hit them.

Gutted.

Hey Denyer, keep trying and you will eventually get it. Is it not the case with all trophies?:) Practice makes perfect:) Good luck!

Funny thing, because when buying MGS collection I took it only gor MGS3. I swore that I will never push myself through 5 playtroughts in MGS2 (that's just crazy:P). but I have plat MGS3 in a week or so and here I am, finishing MGS2 on extreme mode.

I just beat Vamp, though I had to revert to that niffty "hang over the railing" trick, because it seemed imposible to beat him using legit means (after 10th time I gave up).

I am not even gonna think about these VR yet, as first I will do Snake Tales.

Think I will have to finally call it quits on this Platinum.

On the sniping section it feels impossible to hit the 2nd section of Claymores. The tiniest tap on the thumb stick and the reticule moves miles. The Claymores are a long way away so you have to zoom in and this just makes the sensitive aiming worse.

Annoyingly I have made it to the end of this section twice without knowing there was Claymores there! Now I know there there and I can't hit them.

Gutted.

I haven’t yet got to that point, but try this (it helped on hard mode).

Just target the claymore close as you can, unequip thermal goggles and equip brown wig. You won’t see the claymore, but you can just roughly tell where it was. Now shoot like crazy, bending your stick left/right/up/down… wherever you think the mine was.

I'll try anything once!

On my last attemp I managed to shoot some of the Claymores and got to the bit where Snake calls. Called him back for help and then ran out of drugs to stop shaking (had not respawned either) Couldn't target anything and it took Snake 4 shots to kill one soldier, in the meantime a cypher had killed E.E!!

I have watched videos on E.Extreme mode and Snake is a beast and kills things in 1 shot as long as there in the crosshairs. Perhaps he just doesn't like me?

I would like to finish the game just to see the amount of continues I have had, I reckon so far we are over 200!!

I haven't given up yet, i have been busy in work so had to give myself a break cus this game was stressing me out haha!

I will try until i feel i physically can't do it. By that i mean if i get to the point where i want to throw my beautiful Vita across the room i'll probably stop playing it for a while!

Haha. Thanks for the pep-talk though and some of the tips and vids you have talked about will certainly help/give me the confidence to do it.

You can hold :vital: while aiming to slow down the cross hairs. It makes a pretty big difference.

Slows down the cursor, yes. Makes it less twitchy, no. But thanks for the info.

In what is fast becoming a blog on my trials on extreme I would like to say that I am now at the Metal Ray fight (with 2 rations) and have nearly done this on a couple of occasions, got to the D series of Metal Rays so only a couple short.

Is there any way of knowing how many continues you have had without finishing the game? On the continue screen there are a lot of random numbers, one of which is the Alert count. Anyone know if the continues are listed here? The only number I have that might be accurate is 462 but surely I can not have continued that many times, Lol. Well maybe.....:whistle: