Problems I have with this game...

First off...I love the game. But...

I find it annoying when you look at something you sometimes get like a little cutscene...but the option to look at it again remains...and Lee goes and says the same thing. For instance in episode 2...the option to look at the fence...generator...outlet...house...swing...etc...still remain after you look at them once. I think that if you look at something once and it doesn't further the story...take that option away.

Overall...the game is great...but that's just a little something that bugs me...lol.

First off...I love the game. But...

I find it annoying when you look at something you sometimes get like a little cutscene...but the option to look at it again remains...and Lee goes and says the same thing. For instance in episode 2...the option to look at the fence...generator...outlet...house...swing...etc...still remain after you look at them once. I think that if you look at something once and it doesn't further the story...take that option away.

Overall...the game is great...but that's just a little something that bugs me...lol.

Minor at best, but nothing compared to the actual release of the episode lol. I dislike how spaced out everything is...creating the swing??? Aw man, might as well have been churning butter too :D

• 8 months later...

I have mixed emotions about the game. But since we're talking about the things that we don't like about it, I will continue that trend.. Although I find the game to be incredible as far as emotionally charged games go, I would have preferred less of the gratuitous profanity. A wise old friend once told me that when you use an over abundance of foul language, you really lessen the meaning of the word or words that are being used. I've never read any of the comic books (although I may start) nor have I seen any of the TV episodes so I don't know if they have the amount of (sometimes) unnecessary profanity found in the video game. I have spoken to a few of my coworkers though, and all of them have said that there is not much if any in the TV series. I do not think that having half of the curse words in the game would have made that much of a difference. Nor do I think that the profanity would affect my decision to purchase the second season.

• 2 weeks later...
I have mixed emotions about the game. But since we're talking about the things that we don't like about it, I will continue that trend.. Although I find the game to be incredible as far as emotionally charged games go, I would have preferred less of the gratuitous profanity.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FPfXfx4xiw]The Walking Dead Game - Crazy Shit (Spoilers) - YouTube[/ame]

All of the profanity in the game adds up to about 6 and a half minutes :eek:, didn't bother me at all but I can see why it'd bother some.

P.S. The comics do have quite a bit if I remember right, but not as much as the game.

Isn't this game M-rated? I thought the profanity was well-placed and appropriate. Not so prevalent that it stood out to me in any way.

By contrast, I'm playing Spec Ops The Line right now where every other line seems to have an F-bomb. I don't care, except I have to be mindful of my TV volume being too loud if my neighbor's small children are in the yard next to my house.

I think the cussing adds a certain realism and helps you get more immersed in the story. The game puts you in the shoes of a survivor in an apocalypse scenario. I don't know about you, but if I ever wake up and find that the dead are rising my vocabulary and behavior certainly wouldn't be rated "E for everyone"

All of the profanity in the game adds up to about 6 and a half minutes :eek:, didn't bother me at all but I can see why it'd bother some.

P.S. The comics do have quite a bit if I remember right, but not as much as the game.

Your quite right, the comics further down in the 90's to present have a major amount of profanity, especially with a character named Negan which I thought Andrew St. John was at first glance, then I noticed his shirt was just a shirt not a jacket that looked identical to Negan's.

Let's toss cussing aside, 6 minutes out of like 8 hours of dialogue doesn't really make me lose sleep over it. The biggest problem for me was episode 5 which is, in a nutshell, a miserably rushed turkey. The episode begins and ends strong, but what you have in between is a series of half-baked ideas, poor execution and lazy writing. Then you're being lured towards making this major plot decision stolen straight out of Heavy Rain, which - if you make it - completely breaks logic in everything that happens during most of the episode.

[spoiler=1]I mean, just look at Lee with his newly cut off arm, which he forgot to cauterize or seal, simply ignore the fact he is either in a coma or dead from the shock and blood loss. He jumps across buildings, pulls human weight up holes, uses his bleeding stump to support him climb up and down five story buildings... That's unbelievable!

No, it really is unbelievable as in "that's not possible".

When the survivors leave the mansion by jumping off the balcony to the rooftops, the order is: Lee (who has only one arm), Omid (who has an infected leg wound), Christa (who is a woman), and Kenny (who has absolutely no conceivable weaknesses whatsoever). Now, those who get on the roof keep offering a helping hand or two, if they got them, since the rest can't otherwise manage. There's something ridiculous about this, but I can't quite put my finger on it. And it just so happens, neither can Lee!

In all seriousness, if Telltale is going to use the same plot devices Heavy Rain did, they could at least try. Now they manage nothing else, but accidental comedy and disbelief over the whole episode. And it doesn't stop there. I thought Christa and Omid were the sidekicks in the group, but then I realized it was everything else including crucial plot points:

[spoiler=2]When Kenny jumps down the hole he's simply written out of the script, while the pipe they could pull him up with is still down there with him. I guess we can argue he just wanted to die, but why? A moment before he was contemplating on offing Lee, and having Lee down the hole instead would've been the perfect solution.

And what of Vernon? Talk about the sudden psychosis he and his group of 50-year-old cancer survivors just got, storming and overpowering a mansion filled with young, healthy and armed guards. That's something they've been completely unable to do for the couple past months when it comes to Crawford. What were those meds, steroids and cocaine? Not to talk about the fact that Vernon supported mutual benefits even if you deliberately went and pissed him off.

That single excuse to advance the story undid everything episode 4 was ever about, like it never existed. Which is a shame, since it was definitely the better episode of the two. But onwards:

The Stranger was the cutest. I can see Telltale having this idea of a personified "ultimate fate" dooming the group as a consequence of their actions. This would be cool, if other episodes contained any threats to that direction instead of the phony excuse of a clearly busted radio suddenly stop being busted at all, between episodes. Even after Lee tried it and it was busted, period. I guess they just expected everyone to play the episodes two months apart so stuff like this would go unnoticed.

But what is this thing tying all episodes together? We get a creep, who rushes on foot from a ransacked car run out of gas, but is capable of beating a speeding wagon and then a train express to Savannah in order to kidnap Clementine from the group. And lets not forget, he also waits a couple of days to find his family dead and only then start chasing the culprit. And he still beats the group to the punch! At this point he gets introduced to the player and then offed in two minutes.

I have to tell you, that wasn't a single bit ominous or intimidating. More than anything, I felt sorry for Telltale. They must've hit a deadline here, and salvaged - or pulled out of their hat - what they could. Instead of some ultimate battle against evil we got a miserably failed spook and the super stump man comparing their manlihood. Thank goodness the episode picks up after that train wreck of a scene. Speaking of train wrecks, Vernon was terrified of the train yard in episode 4 so I specifically sent every survivor there in episode 5. What happens? Absolutely nothing. Telltale should've added in the statistics something like "92% thought there was content at the train yard".

On a high note, Christa and Omid did get a little flesh on their bones. That's cool considering Omid was little more than the arab for the quota demands, harmlessly kept unconcious throughout most of his appearance.

In any case there are a few bugs, stuttering between scenes and other detriments which leave a lot of room for improvement, but are obviously not as big an issue to me, as was the writing for the final episode. It doesn't really take away the fact the game's really good, and it's rare to see success in emotionally bonding the player to the game characters.

Edited by ars
grammar

Just finished Episode 5 and really enjoyed the game overall. Bought the season paas at the reduced price, so great value. Great story and emotially engaging. Only real gripe I had was with some of the action scenes where, because of poor mechanics, it was difficult to shoot/hit zombies without dying a few times first. Of course it could just have been me being crap at pressing the right buttons at the right time :o