Do Brazilians not know ...?

SoPoF

... any other expression than filho da puta? Playing this game, I've heard that insult more often than I heard it in total in my whole life in all languages I understand it in combined - and I'm over thirty.

But I thinks it's more likely the developers of this game didn't know much other things in Portuguese, it feels like not a minute goes by without it being said twice. It's not that much that I mind swearing in my media or anything, but it still is kind of annyoing to hear the same again and again.

Well, I guess it's still better than the usual F word all the time.^^

Well actually we know. ... But I'm sure that I've heard other expressions during the game

Yeah, of course there are more, but I found the use of this one kind of extreme. If it was accurate, half of Brazil must have "interesting" jobs.^^ I think they did that because it's one of the few words non-portuguese speaking would recognize.

I kind of wish you could unlock english translated subtitles after beating the game the first time. I understand why they don't have it for the first playthrough, but now it's just annoying that I don't know what they're saying :p.

Exactly this. It's cool that they don't translate them as Max can't understand the language so why would players have to. But it would be nice to have translations for you after you have beaten the game.

Exactly this. It's cool that they don't translate them as Max can't understand the language so why would players have to. But it would be nice to have translations for you after you have beaten the game.

Yea, I agree.

Sometimes I think that the game was purposely made so that only portuguese speaking people could fully appreciate it :p

This is one thing I often wondered about not only in this one - how do games with languages who are not translated into the one the rest of the game is being translated to feel to those who actually speak that language?

On the one hand, understanding all of it must be nice*, but then, the effect of not knowing what is going on is lost. It's sure an a bit over-top idea, but maybe it'd be cool if the game had a setting for Portuguese speaking players to switch the Portuguese in the game into a different language.

*unless the language has faults in it. As a gamer of German speaking origin, I know what I'm talking about. I have yet to see a game with German in it that does not completely destroy the immersion by false grammar, weird intonation/accents or inappropriate use of words where you can see they just used google translate or something. I mean, honestly, how expensive can it be to hire an actual German to at least check it if they cannot be bothered to get German speaking voice-overs for German characters?

That's why I smiled when Max and Passo drank in the pub and Max said "Gesundheit" as a toast. I don't know if that's a common thing to do in New York, but in German, that is actually being said when someone sneezes and not as a drinking toast.

So, to not get completely offtopic, what do you Brazilians think? Is the language accurate in Max Payne 3? Noticed any false signs or posters, weird use of expressions or outright faults? (Besides the over-use of f.d.p.)

That's why I smiled when Max and Passo drank in the pub and Max said "Gesundheit" as a toast. I don't know if that's a common thing to do in New York, but in German, that is actually being said when someone sneezes and not as a drinking toast.

I think that was an intentional joke. Made me chuckle at least.

I'd say 80% of the voice actors for brazilians characters were in fact brazilians, but many important roles were clearly played by gringos (like Marcelo and Passos)

But at least the thugs were all voiced by brazilian actors, you can even notice accents for different parts of Brazil which is nice.

PS: The huge amount of 'coxinhas' (popular brazilian snack) in the police station was very funny, as over here policemen are associated with it because they supposedly eat it a lot (just like american cops and donuts).

Edited by Dropeti

I'd say 80% of the voice actors for brazilians characters were in fact brazilians, but many important roles were clearly played by gringos (like Marcelo and Passos)

But at least the thugs were all voiced by brazilian actors, you can even notice accents for different parts of Brazil which is nice.

PS: The huge amount of 'coxinhas' (popular brazilian snack) in the police station was very funny, as over here policemen are associated with it because they supposedly eat it a lot (just like american cops and donuts).

well passos is not brazilian he is hispanic so his dialect makes sense like someone who learned a new language. marcelo went to school in england or something i can not remember, so that is probably why he sounds different.

well passos is not brazilian he is hispanic so his dialect makes sense like someone who learned a new language. marcelo went to school in england or something i can not remember, so that is probably why he sounds different.

Yeah, Passos is actually Columbian. You can find a clue about this in "The Great American Savior of the Poor" chapter, where you find Passos' ID card on the ground. It says he's Colombian.

And all the Branco brother did educate abroad. In the Branco Headquarters level, you can view a clue of Branco brothers' graduation pictures which states which colleges they attended to. Or are they even Brazilian? I thought they had just moved into Sao Paolo but were not originally from there.

Passos is colombian, the guy dubbing him was not brazilian, as well as the guy dubbing the IT guy, Rodrigo and Victor Branco. All the others I think were brazilians.

Well, as a brazilian, it´s a pain in the ass because we don´t talk like that. All the freaking time fdp and porra, give me a break. Even allies in the game (comando sombra, the UFE) calling each other fdp??? Uncalled. There´s a cutscene where a Comando Sombra guy ask for a cigarette and his friend tells him to go fuck himself. Yeah, very realistic.. Good Job Rockstar.

Passos is colombian, the guy dubbing him was not brazilian, as well as the guy dubbing the IT guy, Rodrigo and Victor Branco. All the others I think were brazilians.

Well, as a brazilian, it´s a pain in the ass because we don´t talk like that. All the freaking time fdp and porra, give me a break. Even allies in the game (comando sombra, the UFE) calling each other fdp??? Uncalled. There´s a cutscene where a Comando Sombra guy ask for a cigarette and his friend tells him to go fuck himself. Yeah, very realistic.. Good Job Rockstar.

Exactly, pretty uncalled for but I guess they made it this way to make people look more violent maybe?