The multiplayer hate thread

Peabob_

If a game was ever not designed for multiplayer it's Max Payne. This has been so awkwardly shoehorned into the game. Just no need for it.

-The clunky controls really don't lend themselves well to the responsiveness needed for multiplayer.

-Why on earth does it paint enemies everywhere in your line of site? There's little chance for tactical play when everyone knows where everyone else is.

-I just played a guy who was one hit killing from miles away with the shotgun. I know this can be patched but still annoying.

-Worst of all, camping owns everything here. Seriously 100% the best strategy to use is every situation.

RAGE!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not really into competitive MP in terms of any game. There is some fun to be had but the controls are the worst offender here.

If your relatively close to someone and they have a bead on you, the game's crappy movement makes it virtually impossible to get away from them if you don't shootdodge your way into some cover or around a corner. And i particularly hate using my shootdodge defensively as i feel it's of better use to me offensively in helping take down an enemy.

For the longest time I had no clue in the world what the melee button was and i was losing close quarters combat left and right by people elbowing me in the face. The game makes no mention to tell you on the controller layout screen and based on the SP tutorial, i was assuming that if i got close enough to someone and hit the fire button it would melee....Nope, it's actually triangle -_-

Don't even get me started on the grenades smh. On launch day i didn't realize the grenade had its own dedicated button so i thought you had to equip it at the weapon wheel and then throw it which was infuriatingly time consuming. Once someone told me all you had to do was tap L2 i was relieved thinking this was make using grenades more viable...NOPE. It takes all of 3 seconds just to throw the damn thing and even after you throw it it takes like another 3 before it explodes. It's practically worthless. Most people just lob grenades at the start of a match or when they're playing seige in gang wars hoping they just get lucky.

Sometimes i feel like my button presses don't register. I don't know if it's the spongyness of the dualshock triggers but sometimes when i tap L2 to throw a grenade it wont throw it and because the animation to throw it takes so long as is, I ended up waiting like 2 seconds to see if maybe it's a matter of the animation taking longer than necessary or if it really didn't register. There are times where i double tap the roll button to roll and he wont roll although rolling is pretty much useless as well.

The movement and animations make for a real clunky experience. Where in a twitch shooting environment, i feel i have to think too much about some of my decisions before i actually make them.

It's so funny that MLG had coverage around this game. R* must of thrown huge amounts of money at them because the MP is not really up to par for ordinary casual gaming much less competitive gaming

I also ran into some freezing and lagging issues yesterday. One game i had a hard freeze and had to reboot. More commonly (i.e. annoyingly) my game would lag on the kill cam screen. Normally when that screen comes up you have 5 seconds before you can respawn. It would glitch to the point that it would just freeze there for about 10-15 seconds without the option to even respawn. I thought my game froze but i could still hear talking and shooting in the background. Then after those 10-15 seconds, the information on the kill cam screen would show up and then the respawn counter would count down. I was playing one of the game modes called gang wars and this happened about 5 times. Happened at the end of the match too where it tells you which team won. Real annoying. Would have quit but i was afraid of losing my XP

Edited by hbkdx12

OK I gotta say I feel the chunkiness sometimes and the grenade delay after pressing L2 means I have to pre-throw at time leading to me getting a bullet. Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying multilayer so much I haven't even started single player story.

I'm not really into competitive MP in terms of any game. There is some fun to be had but the controls are the worst offender here.

It's so funny that MLG had coverage around this game. R* must of thrown huge amounts of money at them because the MP is not really up to par for ordinary casual gaming much less competitive gaming

I hate a lot of little things about the game, sure, but I really can't get myself to care all that much about the flaws...

I'll give R* an "A" for effort in attempting to implement a competitive multiplayer that doesn't suck for one of their (otherwise superb) third-person shooters. However, MP3 is nowhere near "e-sport" quality. I agree that the MLG tie-in is a bit odd, but maybe they're thinking about the future. Nobody knows for sure but R* and MLG. I can say that Rockstar has come a long way with their multiplayer in the past 4 years.

In general, I despise online third-person shooters. They just don't work competitively in my opinion. I've enjoyed the 10+ hours I've put into Max Payne 3 multiplayer so far, though. I don't think it's the mechanics, either... although, the gunplay and balance is superior to Uncharted (although movement isn't as fluid). I think it's the unlocks, XP, cash system, "grinds", and vendetta system. Maybe i'll get over all that as I push towards Rank 50, but right now it's pretty fun, despite it's flaws.

As far as I'm concerned, this isn't a real shooter so it's kinda hard to take it seriously. I stopped taking MP3 multiplayer seriously when I realized that Crews were a joke and the leaderboards are now (and will probably always be) dominated by the brand-sponsored "Rockstar Crews" (IGN, Destructoid, Game Stop, etc.). It's a fun experience overall, though. I like it.

I have had a fair few games on it since yesterday an haven't seen any lag at al. (it's probably just your crappy Internet connection)

But I do agree that it's very awkward in controls and terribly inbalenced, if you come up against someone of a higher level you stand little chance as they have all the good stuff.

I have mixed emotions about the MP which will more than likely end up with me completing the SP and getting rid! I don't care for the platinum.

Well I mean.. You're not riding around on a horse...

Lol. The biggest difference I would say is Red dead was total shit, this is just a little bit shit. GTA wasn't that good either.

All 3 games really should be SP only. Well RDR in my opinion should never have been made.

Well even though i'm leading the site's clan there are a few things that I can't stand about the mp, hopefully it'll be patched 1 day but whatever. First, the weapon wheel is clumsy and extremely aggravating when trying to switch weapons. I've been mostly focusing on duel wielding pistols and every single freaking time I respawn I have to use the weapon wheel to re-equip them.

Secondly, (and i've experienced this in sp as well) there will be some random object on the ground like a blade of grass or a peice of rubble from a building and when your character moves over it you get stuck in place. Then once you're essentially "free" of it's evil grasp the controls become magically inverted so when i'm trying to run forward to avoid a grenade or roll backwards to protect myself from gunfire the game bitch slaps me in the face and I die.

Third, the server system is pretty messed up right now. I'm sure that it's just week 1 launch bugs or whatever, but when you can't invite anyone into your crew so you're forced to sign out of the psn and back in just to have it randomly kick 1 person once you're all grouped up and in a game lobby makes me want to rage.

Lastly, the rockstar social club site at it's current state is a joke. You can view the top 7 crews in each xp category and that's it. Is it good that I can see where our clan is? yeah definitely, but it still doesn't change the fact that I want to see what position other crews are in (for example a certain similarly named website to this one that ends in .com). I also cannot check on the stats of individual members, and even the stats for my self are not correct. It's listing my most effective weapon as the micro9mm (smg) while i've only used it in one game and it taking up a whole 2% of my entire weapon usage.

I'm having more fun with the game then I can make complaints about it, so it isn't all too bad. Just wish they'd fix the servers and the social site to be something actually useful.

Untill Rockstar brings out a patch to fix the mayor problems, I'm going back to Battlefield 3. This game gives me a rage-headache. It's annoying you can't join the crew of this site, while I can perfectly join a random crew from Rockstar itself.

SP is a bit 'meh' too in my opinion. It is nothing like MP1 or MP2, its totally different. I don't like the cutscenes with three different screens, which turns grey and stops and then goes on in another splitscreen.

Spoiler

Also in the stadium... How often I died there is not even funny anymore. You get a cutscene and you're right in front of the enemy when it ends. You don't have much ammo too and it looks like alot of your ammo dissapears after cutscenes? Example: I had a MP5 with almost 100 bullets. Then comes a cutscene and my ammo is 20.

At this point the game is, in my opinion, a waste of money. Its a shame, I expected more of the SP...

Edited by Wadloper

anybody have an issue when they use their ak and they die the camera is facing to the left instead of to the right? It's really annoying and bothersome and it only seems to happen with my ak. My other loadout i use a shotgun and that never happens

the mp has been so far so good for me, i've even been a mvp once in a game, however i find it a bit awkward that through out the mp matchs, there's no background music and it's just gun sounds, pretty empty and dull IMO, i have no idea why they went with that direction but they should of at least put some ambient music to lift the atmosphere.

i'm currently lv4 and it's the grinding that makes me worried... this is GTA4 all over again...

Lol. The biggest difference I would say is Red dead was total shit, this is just a little bit shit. GTA wasn't that good either.

All 3 games really should be SP only. Well RDR in my opinion should never have been made.

That was my initial reaction to it. Only because of hate due to the fact that I've dreamed for years that Rockstar would make an open world Pirate game, just to be crushed by stuuuuuuupid Cowboys. But then I played it and it kinda sorta filled the void.

lolz @ hunterelf. I like your avy.

Edited by Burgundy85

I think it's safe to say that the mp will have most divided but I personally think the only people who will love it and won't hear a bad word said about it are the Rock* fan boys who think R* can do no wrong when making a game.

I like the Max Payne series, I like GTA although I do think it's grown stale. LA Noir had an amazing feature but was a bit meh and RDR was a cowboy version of GTA minus the fun.

I'm prepared to give MP online a little more of my time but currently I can't see myself sticking with it for too long.

I'd have to agree with the awkward controls for multiplayer, it's getting very irritating and I'm already sick and tired of the over the shoulder camera constantly going to the left side, there's got to be an option to set it's default to the right side somewhere?

I think it's safe to say that the mp will have most divided but I personally think the only people who will love it and won't hear a bad word said about it are the Rock* fan boys who think R* can do no wrong when making a game.

I like the Max Payne series, I like GTA although I do think it's grown stale. LA Noir had an amazing feature but was a bit meh and RDR was a cowboy version of GTA minus the fun.

I'm prepared to give MP online a little more of my time but currently I can't see myself sticking with it for too long.

RDR was GTA minus the fun!?!? You my good sir must be a fool! But really, how was it not fun?

i'm currently lv4 and it's the grinding that makes me worried... this is GTA4 all over again...

This is the main concern for me too. I'm at level 9 nine and I dont think I can continue to 50, its just way too repetitive and I'm already getting bored. At least in RDR you had free roam and co-op to break things up and getting to level 50 was no problem for me.

Press right on the dpad.

Yeah, I know how to change the camera in-game but it more often than not starts off on the left and I'm right-handed and bugs the hell out of me. I meant I hoped there was an option in the menus to set right or left sides to default.

Edited by JoBot 8000