So how scary is this game?

YokA_sun

I'd say about a 6. But that's in the dark with surround sound headphones and a spliff. But I was testing some SH3 earlier and holy fuck almost forgot how intense the originals are. Unfortunately the framerate was even more horrific.

Edited by hawknz

I just got done beating the game for the first time a few minutes ago and the game had some creepy parts. I wouldn't really say the monsters themselves scared me but the environment can be pretty creepy. And sometimes when they start playing the panic music or whatever you wanna call it, it can get your adrenaline going seeing what's gonna happen next :D

Overall, I'd say 2 or maybe 3. The beginning is good, but the horror dies around the time you reach the city. The monster design is laughable at best, not to mention at that point, you have seen every enemy type except for one ... which isn't that different from the Minions, anyways. The Otherworld sections are interesting, but not scary for even a second and exploring the foggy world makes it feel more like an action adventure. Exploring the buildings in "main story missions" is a bit more tense, but sadly relies too much on "ooh, it's dark" and disneyland spookhouse horror elements. Whispering voices and such ... *yawn*

When you reach the final area, you will not even know it's a horror game anymore. They really screwed that part up completely.

Yeah developers need to realize that familiarity=not scary. Even the original Silent Hill wasn't that scary by the time I got to towards the end because I was used to the enemies and pacing of the game. I want a game that's constantly keeping you on your toes. Kind of like Left 4 Dead's Director. Random enemy features and behaviors. Instead of when you encounter a Screamer for the 30th time, knowing exactly how it's going to attack you, it has random behaviors tossed in the mix. Like the ability to walk on walls or leap at you from a long distance. Or like telepathically rape your mind, flashing horrific images on your screen and sending terrible sounds through your speakers. Or it could just walk up and swipe at you. You'd never know.

Keeping people guessing and on their toes is the key to making something consistently scary.

I'd rate it 7/10. This is my first horror game.

My first playthrough took 23 hours. Most of that time I was searching for all objectives and In my opinion its really scary especially when using the lighter to check on clues. The dark rooms even with a flashlight still gives me the creeps.

The slower I move, the more likely I'd be surprised of things suddenly popping out.

The scariest enemy for me are the screamers. All because I can't fight them effectively without getting hit.

leigh, 7/10 will leave you only with 8,9 and 10 out of 10 to rate the scariness of the older SHs. Not enough.^^ If you like horror, I highly recommend you to play them ... but avoid the HD collection imho.

I have absolutely no experience in Silent Hill games so its just my scare rating as a first timer. As regards to the HD collection, A friend of mine warned me not to buy it and the game called Racoon City.

I don't like horror in general, so I think I'll leave these types of games to you guys. :eek:

I think I'll just keep on playing ICO and MGS2 and hopefully complete all objectives. :dance:

It isn't as scary as games such as Fatal Frame but it made me jump at some parts. I'd give it a 6/10.

I would have to say complete different, to me all the silent hill games have some fright and disturbing level and i find the fatal frame games to be very boring, dull and scary as dishwater, aka giant yawnfests.

Also some people saying it got less scary, ect further into the game you are forgetting that the orphanage/church had some good part in it and the end place had two really good ones, one being a jump scare and the other being holly fuck gheeee disturbing and pretty cool. That and alot of the notes you find are very disturbing on their own and the context about them.

Edited by dante_kinkade

I found it quite scary at parts. This is the first Silent Hill I managed to complete.

With the the previous games in the series, I usually end up getting too scared to finish them lol. The closest one I came to finishing was the original. However, I will 100% Downpour because it has trophies :D

So if you ever get scared, just keep thinking of the platinum trophy :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...
I'd rate it 7/10. This is my first horror game.

My first playthrough took 23 hours. Most of that time I was searching for all objectives and In my opinion its really scary especially when using the lighter to check on clues. The dark rooms even with a flashlight still gives me the creeps.

The slower I move, the more likely I'd be surprised of things suddenly popping out.

The scariest enemy for me are the screamers. All because I can't fight them effectively without getting hit.

that's what I was afraid of.. I can't handle horror games that well.. I love watching horror movies though. But playing a horror game makes it 10x scarier.. I guess I tend to dive in too much. thanks for the input

Edited by YokA_sun

1-2 out 10 for scare factor.

the game dosn't even try to scare or fuck with your mind like all the previous silent hill games.

to me this game isn't silent hill at all but i get the feeling it was a game made and rather than toss it away they added the silent hill name to try sell it.

it's not a shit game just not a very good one and fuck all to do or like the previous games in the series.

Hm, I can't really put a "number" on how scary I'd call this game. But in short; I didn't think it was all that scary. However, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the game. I've played plenty of survival-horror games, including every previous Silent Hill game. I just get the feeling that these days I've pretty much seen most of the "scare tricks" these kind of games can throw at you.

Sure, every now and then, they'll still manage to make me jump with a very clever scare moment, but those are rare. And I don't mean jump scares (those usually work on me :p), but rather a scary/creepy/unnerving atmosphere.

In the end, as I've said before, Downpour is basically the next-gen Silent Hill game I had been waiting for (unlike Homecoming *glare*).

Imo Vatra has done a great job. :]

• 5 months later...