The Resident Evil Discussion Thread

AstroDuck

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Resident Evil series. What are your views on it?

BTW huge fan of outbreak file 1 and 2.:cool:

This thread is for everything resident evil.

So any and every RE game flys here.

Resident Evil outbreak file 2 was meh... I think a zombie elephant is crossing the line.

I'm actually really excited! I dug out my old psx collection and found Resident Evil: Directors Cut!!! I wonder what it would fetch on Ebay. I'm going to play it preparation of RE5. :D

Resident Evil outbreak file 2 was meh... I think a zombie elephant is crossing the line.

I'm actually really excited! I dug out my old psx collection and found Resident Evil: Directors Cut!!! I wonder what it would fetch on Ebay. I'm going to play it preparation of RE5. :D

I have the Original one in my closer but, my dad has the Directors Cut with him. I prefer the Cut alot more. You should replay all the RE's in preparation of RE5. I know I couldn't just stop at beating 1 LOL.

Zombie elephants, zombie lions, zombie parrots >.< weird/stupid, but still entertaining to some degree. What i hated about outbreak 2 was that it was so god damn hard. (thats what she said) Resident evil 3 was neat too. I barely remember most of it though.

On the contrary, I think the Outbreak games were grossly underrated. They were fun and different, and the online functions weren't too shabby either. In terms of plotline, Outbreak did a very good job. Events made sense, nothing was contradicting anything else in the established canon, save from the multiple missile strike on Raccoon City in 'End of the Road'. It felt more like traditional zombie survival. You weren't an elite member of S.T.A.R.S, you were just an ordinary civilian who was trying to survive against all the odds. Despite the later release of RE4, the Outbreak games kept that old school dream alive. The impact that RE4 had on the series was devastating. My RE is dead, and won't be coming back.

The whole community has changed, come to think of it. Nowadays you have a much younger audience to the series, who play through RE4, love the game and consider it the best in the series, then they go back and play the earlier games and are disappointed when it's not the same. RE4 lacks challenge, survival horror and pretty much everything that made RE what it was. Ammunition was in plentiful supply, Umbrella was gone by the opening cutscenes, and suddenly everyone was mounting Wesker's growing phallus and praising him for being such an "awesome antagonist", even though he was nothing more than a one-dimensional character who USED to have character, but instead just degenerated into a parasite who succeeded from the failures of others.

Check out Wesker's Report II, he gave off the image of a researcher who was caught up in a lot of intrigue and just wanted to figure out what it was that Spencer was up to. He had a more sympathetic feel to his character, you could understand his concern. Instead he just became a cardboard cut-out supercharacter, who was always right, never wrong, amazingly powerful and almost flawless. Those kind of characters become more of an annoyance than anything else. That's not the worst part of it either, he's got his own squealing shitcake fangirls now.

I can understand your dislike for radically changing the series. I like both generations of RE. RE4 may have had the weaker story, but it didn't take away from the heart pounding action. The graphics were a huge leap (even though characters like Sadler and Salazar pale in comparison to previous characters) in scale. I'm looking forward to replaying the entire series as well as playing RE5.

I can understand your dislike for radically changing the series. I like both generations of RE. RE4 may have had the weaker story, but it didn't take away from the heart pounding action. The graphics were a huge leap (even though characters like Sadler and Salazar pale in comparison to previous characters) in scale. I'm looking forward to replaying the entire series as well as playing RE5.

It's not just the story, there was simply no challenge. You could find ammunition from just about anywhere, and the puzzles were laughingly simple. The water sample puzzle in RE3 was pretty rewarding to finally complete, it was taxing but it felt good to solve. But alas, this is the way things have gone. Generation-X has taken over RE.

It's not just the story, there was simply no challenge. You could find ammunition from just about anywhere, and the puzzles were laughingly simple. The water sample puzzle in RE3 was pretty rewarding to finally complete, it was taxing but it felt good to solve. But alas, this is the way things have gone. Generation-X has taken over RE.

damn that generation x to hell! they should continue both formulas.

Exactly! Kids these days don't have the attention span to solve complex puzzles. That's why games like Halo sell more than games like MGS4. It's little pipsqueeks that just like to shoot things. Why do you think the game industry has grown so rapidly compared to a decade ago? I know it may be alot easier but it doesn't necessarily take away from the zombie decapitating genre we grew to love!

I think as time has gone on, gamers have become more immature. I'm genuinely of the belief that our generation held the last few drops of human decency, before the world shrivelled up into the lifeless desiccated husk that it is today. On that note, I'd like to make an interesting correlation. I like to view Umbrella as a symbol of RE, the old times have ended and something new is happening. Wesker represents the new gamers, who are hoping to rebuild Umbrella but shape it in their own image. Spencer represents the old school gamers, fallen from grace and forgotten about, but still at large and hoping to take back control.

Edited by ADPolicenaut

I think as time has gone on, gamers have become more immature. I'm genuinely of the belief that our generation held the last few drops of human decency, before the world shrivelled up into the lifeless desiccated husk that it is today. On that note, I'd like to make an interesting correlation. I like to view Umbrella as a symbol of RE, the old times have ended and something new is happening. Wesker represents the new gamers, who are hoping to rebuild Umbrella but shape it in their own image. Spencer represents the old school gamers, fallen from grace and forgotten about, but still at large and hoping to take back control.

Well said. RE will never be it's old pioneer series it was back then. I only expect more of the same unoriginal story and useless plot twists. I guess if you can't beat the zombies which in this case are the generation X/Y kids, your only other choice is joining them from the viral plague.

Dead Aim was good. I liked that, it was much better than the earlier Survivor titles. They were pretty terrible, save for the amusing voice acting that the series is now renowned for. However, I thought Umbrella Chronicles was junk. Had some low production values, seemed cheaply and hastily put together as a simple light gun shooter.

Dead Aim was good. I liked that, it was much better than the earlier Survivor titles. They were pretty terrible, save for the amusing voice acting that the series is now renowned for. However, I thought Umbrella Chronicles was junk. Had some low production values, seemed cheaply and hastily put together as a simple light gun shooter.

On the topic or the entire genre, I loved Time Splitters zombie parody. It was very reminiscent of Resident Evil. I hope Time Splitters 4 doesn't lack the zombiesque quality that was a cornerstone in previous games.

I dunno....Re4 wasn't as scary as the other ones.....Like in Re4 your always have ammo so you never have that feeling in the back of your mind "must find ammo" many times in older RE games ammo would run out and would have to use melee weapons which made it way scarier and more heartpounding in Re4.....so meh i dunno....I want them to be more scary.

I dunno....Re4 wasn't as scary as the other ones.....Like in Re4 your always have ammo so you never have that feeling in the back of your mind "must find ammo" many times in older RE games ammo would run out and would have to use melee weapons which made it way scarier and more heartpounding in Re4.....so meh i dunno....I want them to be more scary.

Exactly. I like the idea of you trying to survive and having to manage your resources and use ammo sparingly. In RE4 there was ammo everywhere. Same thing with Herbs and First Aid Sprays. Theres not alot in RE4 but, you find them way more than in the older RE's.