ME3 almost killed my PS3? (Q included)

Berny18

While in the Citadel I had two black screen freezes but nothing seriously - shut PS 3 down, rebooted and could continue without any problems.

But yesterday night, shortly before the first fight against a harvester, I had a freeze right after an auto-save checkpoint.

Shut PS 3 down, put it on again and the screen showed:

"Last time the PS3 was not shut down correctly. There may be a hard drive problem.

Checking hard drive. If hard drive is corrupted this may take 2 to 3 hours."

I hit ok, PS 3 scanned hard drive for like 3 minutes, then I could continue.

I never had this message though I had freezes with a lot of games.

Is this an issue I should regard as a serious problem? (Meaning I was just lucky the hard drive wasn´t corrupted, but it could be that the next freeze kills my PS3?)

Should this make me think of whether continuing ME3 is worth it?

The hard drive system scan is new to the latest FW on PS3, Sony has tweaked it up since 4.x

It happens with other games as well, Skyrim for me and also ME3

It has the chance of corrupting your data file or even worse your ME3 profile data which has your multi item count (all those 100 , 1000 5000 kill counts etc)

That file needs to be saved on the PSN+ Cloud as it is copy protected.

Other files need to be backed up to either the cloud or USB

FYI ME2 on PS3 had issues similar to this as well, plus a major memory leak

If I recall you needed to turn autosave off in ME2 to help avoid save data corruption.

Edited by ecto69

i didn´t know the hard drive scan was a new feature ... thanks for information.

Is a corrupted file the worst thing that can happen?

Or could it be your system is not able to reboot at all?

I was never interested in Skyrim (so no freezes with this game ...), ME2 I played on XBox (because it came out earlier on XBox).

Unforunately I don´t have PS+ and saving in the cloud in no option.

If a freeze kills my stats I am done with this **** anyway.

Why can´t Bioware invest a little more in Quality Control? (To compare it: All the Square Enix RPGs I played never ever had a single freeze)

i had that problem with skyrim like a million times already and i don't exactly think it's a serious problem, it just means it MIGHT or MIGHT NOT frozen in the middle of saving and therefore may corrupt the save. It is possible that it will corrupt your auto save(i had all my autosaves corrupted in skyrim before knowing autosave might be the trigger of the crashes) but your manual saves should be fine.

If the problem persist, MAYBE try turning off the auto save?

Why can´t Bioware invest a little more in Quality Control? (To compare it: All the Square Enix RPGs I played never ever had a single freeze)

To be honest, this dosent happen to everybody. So its hard to narrow down what exactly could cause the problem. Ive completed ME3 myself, and had 0 freezes. And thats way over 45hours of gameplay.

Anytime a system crashes in the middle of file write command it can or it will corrupt that data.

The Bioware save data format is such that all your save slots (30 or so) are all in one folder and if just one of those saves be it an auto or manual is being written to during a crash the whole thing goes bye-bye.

Not sure if Bioware has any code added that can actually fix these errors during the game start when it is checking save data. ME2 had the same and it did not help with those who lost their complete game progress.

ME3 seems to at least for now be more stable then ME2. I have clocked in close to 60 hours or more on about 6 different saves. Had 1 or crashes where the system did a disk scan and prompted for an email to be sent to Sony.

I sometimes turn off auto save in ME3 to help avoid this random crash while write is in progress, they added a quick save which can be activated as long as the game allows a save at that time.

I had this happen to me for the first time today and I immediately turned off the auto-save. Sure, the auto-save option has come in handy a few times so far, but I'll just have to remember to quick save more often... as my freeze also happened during an auto-save and I'm not willing to risk the entirety of my ME2 and ME3 playthroughs because BioWare still cannot develop a game that doesn't have problems like these.

Turning OFF autosave seems to have fixed it for me!!!

During the first 15 hours with autosave I had 4 freezes.

Yesterday turned off autosave, played for 11 hours without a break and NO freezes at all! (Not even when using the elevator). Additionally while saving manually I did nothing, not even moving Shepard.

Maybe turning off autosave will help others, too!!!

turning off autosave probably helps, though nobody should have to do that just to get through the game

i had about 4 or 5 hard freezes in about 40 hours of combined single and multiplayer, but the game always feels as though it will freeze any moment

its clearly a problem with the game as this is a widely reported thing, so hopefully it gets fixed

i back up my saves so i'm not concerned with that, but i can't imagine it helps your hard drive...i have had more freezes on this one game than all other games combined on my 120gb slim

dont worry about it. i actually got this when they where working in my street and electricity went out i got the same message when i started it back up. i think it only can be dangerous if it happens when the ps3 save or autosave

if electricity goes out when ur installing ur games thats bad then. then u will have corrupted date and will need to format ur ps3. good thing is that i had this once and i backed everything up to cloud. the only save i really lost was new vegas. (i had like 90 saves but only backed up the last 1 to play dlc but now apparently it are 2 saves where i cant get out the end area)

turning off autosave probably helps, though nobody should have to do that just to get through the game

i had about 4 or 5 hard freezes in about 40 hours of combined single and multiplayer, but the game always feels as though it will freeze any moment

its clearly a problem with the game as this is a widely reported thing, so hopefully it gets fixed

i back up my saves so i'm not concerned with that, but i can't imagine it helps your hard drive...i have had more freezes on this one game than all other games combined on my 120gb slim

try to play new vegas (or fallout 3 dlc)

Edited by Hogger

For me it is definitely autosave ...

Played 15 hours with Autosave On: 4 Freezes / Crashes in singleplayer

Then Autosave Off, 50 hours in single player: NOT A SINGLE FREEZE!

Of course it is sometimes painful not to have autosave on Insanity ...

Same thing happened to me in SP when auto-saving. Console crashed ect., but no stats where gone. (Maybe in MP, I didn't check.)

Though it's not a new thing, I've seen that warning screen before on other games. Gave me half a heart attack back then, hehe.

Still wondering if I should turn off auto-saving ... I know I will forget to save at one point and then die only to have to replay two hours.^^