Bioware Director Responds to Mass Effect 3 Criticism

dividedbyn1ght

Bioware Director Casey Hudson has responded to enraged fans that have criticised the game's endings and day-one DLC. In an interview with Digital Trends, Hudson responds "I didn't want the game to be forgettable, and even right down to the sort of polarizing reaction that the ends have had with people–debating what the endings mean and what's going to happen next, and what situation are the characters left in.

"That to me is part of what's exciting about this story. There has always been a little bit of mystery there and a little bit of interpretation, and it's a story that people can talk about after the fact."

Particularly aggrieved fans have launched a campaign to get the Mass Effect 3 ending changed. There is even a Retake Mass Effect movement which is raising funds for the Child's Play Charity, in the hope of being taken seriously by Bioware. So far they have raised over $29,000. Their mission statement reads "We would like to dispel the perception that we are angry or entitled. We simply wish to express our hope that there could be a different direction for a series we have all grown to love."

When asked if Bioware listen to feedback, Hudson said, "We pay very close attention to it. It's very important to us and we will always listen to feedback, interpret it and try and do the right thing by our fans."

Hudson went on to promise fans single-player DLC, and that fan feedback will shape its content: "We have some really great multiplayer content and some really great single-player content coming over the air, (fan) feedback will become part of how we design that."

Regarding the From Ashes DLC, Hudson thinks fans are starting to see "common sense". "Initially, it was spun in a direction that suggested that we had taken the lore out of Mass Effect 3," he said. "Now the people who actually have played Mass Effect 3 and the DLC they know that that's not true."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bioware Director Responds to Mass Effect 3 Criticism - Xbox 360 News at IGN

[spoiler=1234321jph][ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b33tJx8iy0A&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Hitler finds out about Mass Effect 3's Ending - YouTube[/ame]

Ending was terrible. They said they wanted to make it unforgetable, well they succeeded but for all the wrong reasons.

I was surprised to read about the mass petition to have the ending changed. If writers of games (or movies or television shows, for that matter) start giving in to things like that (outside of contests to get more attention, of course), the line between fiction and fan-fiction officially ceases to exist, so I'm pleased to hear BioWare has no plans whatsoever to even entertain the idea of changing the ending to Mass Effect 3.

If so many people are angry over an ending, to me that does underline how much these people love the franchise. They can hate or love an ending, but they'll have to accept it either way. Just because they don't like it, doesn't mean it's a "bad" ending.

I was surprised to read about the mass petition to have the ending changed. If writers of games (or movies or television shows, for that matter) start giving in to things like that (outside of contests to get more attention, of course), the line between fiction and fan-fiction officially ceases to exist, so I'm pleased to hear BioWare has no plans whatsoever to even entertain the idea of changing the ending to Mass Effect 3.

If so many people are angry over an ending, to me that does underline how much these people love the franchise. They can hate or love an ending, but they'll have to accept it either way. Just because they don't like it, doesn't mean it's a "bad" ending.

but it is an bad ending

ive played over 200 games and this one has the worst ending of all of them

im glad refuse to cave to pressures, you tell an artist how to paint a picture

Writing is VERY different from art... art is what it is... art has no sequels. Art has no continuing of a story.

Besides, WE are the artists in ME3... who makes Shepard's face and sex? We do. The whole point about Mass Effect is that WE are the creators of our story. We decide what happens, who lives/dies, and what the end result is.

A lot of people are upset because it's like their decisions didn't matter as much.

In terms of story, if the story of a book is crappy, it is very hard to get published... so in a game, we expect the same type of strictness in receiving good stories. The reason why people are such huge fans of Mass Effect is because the story blew their minds. They feel gypped if they don't get the ending that matches the story they fell in love with.

Have you ever heard of the movie "Misery" with Kathy Bates? She captures an author of her favorite books.. In his most recent book, he kills off the main character and ruins the entire series for her (and a lot of fans). She makes him write a new ending. He ends up killing her and burning the book in front of her... but in the end, he remembered the story and thought it was WAY better than what he originally wrote, so he re-wrote it and re-published it!

No one is going to kidnap Bioware, but the point is, sometimes the ending is so crappy, that it doesn't do justice to the entire story.

Have you ever seen Lost? That series was awesome, especially to my dad. But he HATED the ending so much, because it was like nothing they did mattered in the entire series. He still loves the series, but hates the ending. And he would prefer to only own all of the seasons of the show EXCEPT the last season.

Another show like Sopranos left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. The ending just went black. You didn't get to find out what happened.

Or the ending for a bunch of TV shows that just had "It was all a dream" Like Roseanne... just makes it feel like everything was a waste of time.

Sometimes shows want to shock people by having a memorable ending, but what it does is it comes off as something cheap and not what fans wanted.

Just because Bioware wanted an ending no one would forget, doesn't mean they can screw over their story in doing so...

The worst ending ever for a video game. The game itself was amazing; one of the greatest experiences ever. But the ending completely soured the entire series for me. For those who havent finished it that may seem melodramatic, but I dont see any reason to play the games now since your choices dont matter.

SO yeah, the developers of the game can tell me this and that, but I know what I feel, and what I feel is that perhaps the greatest rpg series ever just got ruined. I dont know how you could do a worst ending. I think I would have preferred no ending at all; a sort of fade to black like the sopranos.

Personally I don't understand why others or many hate the ending.

I loved the ending at the least the one I did 1st.

Yah there is something about it that is not right

[spoiler=lkj]

the fact that someone dies

but then I already know that prior to game release based on reports on story from Bioware or elsewhere.

As somebody who hates the ending, I assure you that had nothing to do with it - and frankly the only people who ever bring this up in the topic are people who don't hate it and think this is the reason other people do.

im glad refuse to cave to pressures, you tell an artist how to paint a picture

Painting a picture and calling yourself an artist doesn't mean I can't tell you your painting sucks and you should draw something else or give up painting forever - surely thats included in the price of our purchce at least.

Your probably right that we will have to end up accepting the ending, however thats never going to change the fact that objectively speaking, its a very "bad" ending. Your allowed to love it or hate it persoanlly but it seems its always going to be very shoody quality when you stop and examine it point by point. This is particualarly unfortuante when the creators "want us to think" about their endings because the problems stick out even more.

Edited by Gigacorona

Painting a picture and calling yourself an artist doesn't mean I can't tell you your painting sucks and you should draw something else or give up painting forever - surely thats included in the price of our purchce at least.

That was better put than I did... That pretty much explains those feelings :p

Writing is VERY different from art... art is what it is... art has no sequels. Art has no continuing of a story....

Thats funny because are isnt inclusive of painting, it would include literature, sculpture, music, movies and yep video games.

Besides, WE are the artists in ME3... who makes Shepard's face and sex? We do. The whole point about Mass Effect is that WE are the creators of our story. We decide what happens, who lives/dies, and what the end result is.

A lot of people are upset because it's like their decisions didn't matter as much.

No not really, there are not an infinite number of outcomes, Bioware desinged every decision every possible outcome for that decision they wrote they own they can do what they want with it. The fact that they let you choose your avatar is a pointless token. Bioware knew how they wanted shepard to look and that is why there is a default character. If they didnt this is what we would had to work with in creating the character

http://www.sciencetoystore.com/contents/media/clothdoll.jpg

You sure do but the artist also has the right to tell you to fuck off if you dont like what they created. This is what bioware has done and I aplaud them for it.

Edited by dz06lt

You sure do but the artist also has the right to tell you to fuck off if you dont like what they created. This is what bioware has done and I aplaud them for it.

Now if they can figure out a way doing that will improve their art then they will be qualifed to be something more then internet trolls :D

Funny thing about art, you can do whatever you want to as the artist, but if it's not acceptable by the people that want to buy it, then you starve. Thus the phrase 'starving artist' because most of them don't make it to the top. There are alot of people that aren't happy with the product they bought from the artist. It'd be like buying a painting gorgeous as it may be, painted with a medium that would completely fade out over five years and the artist didn't tell you about it. Sure, it's great while it lasts, but when it's done, it's gone and it leaves a sour taste in your mouth and you probably won't be buying from that artist anymore. So it's in that artist's best interest not to pull shit like that if they want to keep eating. That's why people are pissed off. As I stated before, Bioware usually does epic endings that have closure....so I'll wait to pass judgement until all DLC is released and we see what the final product is. As far as how I currently feel, imagine watching Star Wars episodes 4-6 with no prequels whatsoever. You get to Return of the Jedi, the emperor is defeated, Vader is saved, but then instead of the celebration on endor, you get a five minute condensed version of the Phantom Menace, metachloriads and all.

The worst ending ever for a video game. The game itself was amazing; one of the greatest experiences ever. But the ending completely soured the entire series for me. For those who havent finished it that may seem melodramatic, but I dont see any reason to play the games now since your choices dont matter.

SO yeah, the developers of the game can tell me this and that, but I know what I feel, and what I feel is that perhaps the greatest rpg series ever just got ruined. I dont know how you could do a worst ending. I think I would have preferred no ending at all; a sort of fade to black like the sopranos.

someone really didn't like the ending.........

it may not be what everyone was expecting or what anyone wanted but it's not a bad ending. it's better than those endings where you don't know what happens in the end or there's still a bunch of questions left over i.e. gow.

it may not be what everyone was expecting or what anyone wanted but it's not a bad ending. it's better than those endings where you don't know what happens in the end or there's still a bunch of questions left over i.e. gow.

Actually alot of people would say thats part of what is wrong with the ending we have here - alot of stuff left up in the air along with a less then steller bunch of plot devices and a few outright holes in the fabric of logic.

And space ninjas while we are at it - Bioware doesn't like boss fights so they gave me one boss fight against a space ninja :D I miss Harbinger...I even miss Proto Reaper.

Completely agree with this statement.

I haven't reached the end yet, but whether I like it or not I don't expect Bioware to go and change it. Are people fucking stupid nowadays or something? Take it for what it is and shut the fuck up.

The thing is, we dont know what happens in the end. All those races, all those characters, all that we bothered assembling together and saving we dont find out squat. And thats fine, I dont need total disclosure. But when it doesnt even make sense for certain squad members to be where they are at the end thats well.. annoying. And the fact that you are presented with three endings with very minor variables no matter the choices you make in the series.

So yeah :p

i have yet to play the game myself and i don't actually know how it ends but judging from all the news report i have seen it seems that most people want the Mass Effect 3 Ending to be more like this

Why dont you finish the game and come back to this thread to see if you have the same opinion?

I lol'd at penny arcade, but its missing the point. I dont mind a sad ending, but i want closure, resolution and to see what are the consequences of my choices, something that the whole saga was supposed to be about.