MGS1 Snake variety and HOLD UP missions

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got the platinum 1 hour ago and my hands are still shaking. I almost bailed out twice, once during the Tengu fight before the Rays on extreme and then during the first Hold up MGS1 missions until I rigged my controller to avoid firing the M4 by accident and finally got it. I'm so happy and relieved. AND PROUD!

HOW TO RIG YOUR PS3 CONTROLLER SO IT DOESN'T FIRE THE M4 BY ACCIDENT:

Get a metal wire (a naked one and also has to be relatively hard but also flexible) with a 1mm diameter (or thicker depending on how your thumb touches the button) and coil it around the Square button, use some small clamps for that, as using the fingers for that is hard. Once you create your perfect ring place it around the button and now your thumb won't reach the firing position unless you press harder than usual. It worked for me and I only shot by accident like 1 out of 20 times, so I didn't worried anymore except for completing the hold ups in the time given.

For Defend the Box, what you'll require is patience. Learn how enemies spawn and try to get then when they use the stairs, use the lethal PSG1, when they come closer pick them as fast as u can, use your rifle as a machine gun. I ran out of ammo when there was only 1 guard left and panic but he walked in line to the box exactly in line to me so I pulled the PSG1-T and showered him with all darts and one got the head. It is a pretty challenging mission but it is doable, keep trying and take breaks, don't try it over and over because the frustration will make things harder.

See the 61st Plat on my iD down this comment? That is MGS2 Platinum.

Need more help, moral support, a shoulder to cry... maybe not, you can add me on the PSN, just say why are you adding me as I usually delete blank friend requests.

Edited by erdvilla

hi

is there any tricks to overcome VR missions snake mgs1

1- variety number one when

Snake(defend the box) against 31 soldiers

2- HOLD UP missions i cant do freeze by M4

when i press square either no response or shot bullet so plz how to do that?

Both will test your mettle as a gamer and will require lots and lots of patience to beat.

For the sniping missions, check to choke points where the guards tends to pass through. If your good with snipers, use the PSG1-T as it saves time and garantees a kill. If you suck with a sniper like I do, then take the regular PSG1 and go trigger happer at a choke point. You should have enough ammo.

For hold-ups, I feel for you, man. I was gonna throw my controller at my TV. That's how mad I got. To me, it amounts to a lot of luck if you can pull off the correct button press. So all I can say is try and try again.

For some missions, you'll be able to empty your mag and hold-up without fear of squeezing off a shot. It tends to make the mission much less infuriating.

But like the dude above me stated, you can rig you controller to make it easier. I guess it depends on how handy you are.

My controller rig was a lot less elegant but it did the trick. I packed a lid from my son's yoghurt drink with blue tack, to just short of the top. It was a bit broader than a screw on toothpaste tube top. Anyway, the blue tack depressed the button, but before it got pressed too far the lid would touch the controller. As a bonus, the blue tack even holds the lid in place.

It's a dirty trick i know but i am way too much of an oaf to be able to do this without it.

My controller rig was a lot less elegant but it did the trick. I packed a lid from my son's yoghurt drink with blue tack, to just short of the top. It was a bit broader than a screw on toothpaste tube top. Anyway, the blue tack depressed the button, but before it got pressed too far the lid would touch the controller. As a bonus, the blue tack even holds the lid in place.

It's a dirty trick i know but i am way too much of an oaf to be able to do this without it.

To anyone his own method.

If this works, it's good.

:D

is there any picture to show how is the ring looks like, i made a ring ( but am horrible in making things :p ) it didn't work

Well, it isn't fancy, it is just an "O" shaped wire, I used some small clamps (I have those from engineering at the college). The wire is the type you would found on your electrical installation but maybe a little thinner, because the 120-220v one is 2mm I think.

The idea is that the wire covers the side of the button up to where it ends going vertical and turns into a round surface (covering the full side). This way only the surface of the button will be touchable and the spongy part of your thumb will go a bit further to press it to the right position.

The ring came out sometimes because my hands got sweaty during some of the harder missions, so you just have to try to move your thumb to other buttons in a way that the ring doesn't come off.

I did the mgs1 variety on my 3rd attempt. I thought it would be much difficult from reading peoples comments. I used the normal psg1 and used all my drugs from the start. I also crouched when shooting and just sprayed bullets like crazy. I took out the guys on the top left first then when i got 20 kills i just focused on the box and defended from their. I didn't bother looking to the right hand side.

Edited by SincereTheRebel

I agree that you just need to practice with the m4, it comes with time. As for the defend the box, I say start with the tranq, try and hit as many as possible with just one tranq, they fall before they get to the box, then keep pummeling them until they start closing in on the box then switch to the lethal psg-1 and open some heads up tin o' beans style.

So i finally unlocked MGS1 Snake 2day and started a few of his missions. I had a hard time with Tuxedo Snake's last hold up. Either i screw up on the first guy or the last guy hiding in the corner but i finally got over it after 30 or so tries. Now is the hold ups, i read somewhere that you can hold in the left stick and snake wont shoot and you can just do a regular hold up. I have managed to pull up the gun w/o shooting but he wont say freeze. Literally how light do u need to press this thing.

Im trying to knockout the weapons, hold ups and the variety missions and if i manage to get those done the plats right in front of me cuz the rest is not hard for me.

For anyone having trouble with this variety mission, i made a video of me beating it 2day and it really wasnt that bad.

This is the tactic i used to beat this mission. Hope it helps:

Start out by scouting the top left and middle with the PSG1-T then just shoot the guys and don't worry about a 1 hit KO as long as u hit them ur good cuz they will drop on their own. Keep at this until the clock hits 2 minutes. Once it hits 2 minutes switch to your PSG1(lethal) aim directly on the box and guard it.

Also keep an eye out on your ammo and never let Snake reload himself. Just double tap R2 and keep going. Sure enough you will beat it.

I am by no means a pro at all. In fact this mission has a bit of luck to it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaNMMuPaUMQ]Metal Gear Solid 2 HD Collection VR MISSION MGS1 Snake Variety 1 - YouTube[/ame]

So i finally unlocked MGS1 Snake 2day and started a few of his missions. I had a hard time with Tuxedo Snake's last hold up. Either i screw up on the first guy or the last guy hiding in the corner but i finally got over it after 30 or so tries. Now is the hold ups, i read somewhere that you can hold in the left stick and snake wont shoot and you can just do a regular hold up. I have managed to pull up the gun w/o shooting but he wont say freeze. Literally how light do u need to press this thing.

Im trying to knockout the weapons, hold ups and the variety missions and if i manage to get those done the plats right in front of me cuz the rest is not hard for me.

I can't give an estimate on how hard, but it's difficult to find the sweet spot. You can press it and Snake will go to the ready but won't say freeze; you need to press it just a bit harder than that. By a bit harder I mean be very fucking gentle with it because the sweet spot isn't too far away from pulling the trigger and ruining the mission.

I can't give an estimate on how hard, but it's difficult to find the sweet spot. You can press it and Snake will go to the ready but won't say freeze; you need to press it just a bit harder than that. By a bit harder I mean be very fucking gentle with it because the sweet spot isn't too far away from pulling the trigger and ruining the mission.

Yea i found out the hard way lol. It took me 2 hours to beat those damn hold up missions, but i do gotta say tho there was only 1 i found fun from them and thats the one on the tanker. I only have 3 elimination alternative missions, 5 bomb disposal and the 2 variations of sneaking mode w/ and w/o elimination til plat. I got rid of almost everything that was hard yesterday so i feel a lot better. Some of those alternative elimination are gay. Like level 6 and 7. I watched a video and just epic failed. I ended up just attracting 1 guard at a time and holding them up then strangle them. The last guy shot him just take my anger out. Them and their shotguns just pisses me off. I also hate the limited weapons and ammo they give u.

Just a quick question for bomb disposal #1 i followed the video guide and i did what he did but only got 2 bombs diffused. Im not sure and havent checked but there might be one under the table.

Mm, it's odd, but I find it's more of a duration thing than a pressure thing, like you have to hold it for a few split seconds longer than you'd like...

Honestly, how big are your thumbs, guys? lol. It's certainly tricky but once you get used to how light you have to press it it's fine. Just practice. No need for a silly rig... kinda dirty, too.

Outside of one or two hold ups and the fact I had to get used to the amount of pressure was just right I didn't have a ton of trouble with them. While it was mostly the pressure issues that caused me problems #7 was really the only one that was hell for me, until I quit trying to emulate the video thats out there anyways.

^^ Really i thought hold up 7 was actually fun and i managed to do it like the video where i curve in and out. I loved that one :D

There is an alternate way of doing that one besides just picking up the m9 in the locker. You can knock and lure one guy at a time til ur done with a side and then go to end of the hallway but don't turn and then knock at the side of it to lure the guards from the other side.

I really enjoyed 7 and 9. I hated 5,8 and 10 the most cuz they were weird. 10 wasn't hard just annoying. 5 just cuz the area u gotta do it in sux. and 8 having to go backwards was not fun.

^^ Really i thought hold up 7 was actually fun and i managed to do it like the video where i curve in and out. I loved that one :D

There is an alternate way of doing that one besides just picking up the m9 in the locker. You can knock and lure one guy at a time til ur done with a side and then go to end of the hallway but don't turn and then knock at the side of it to lure the guards from the other side.

I really enjoyed 7 and 9. I hated 5,8 and 10 the most cuz they were weird. 10 wasn't hard just annoying. 5 just cuz the area u gotta do it in sux. and 8 having to go backwards was not fun.

I lured them, had to figure that out for myself. Didn't know about the M9 until not too long ago. I couldn't run and get the right pressure to hold them up without firing or getting caught when they turn around.

The hold ups actually didn't give me alot of trouble overall, it was those bomb disposal missions. I never really hear people mention them much so maybe I'm the only one but those were by far the hardest for me (variety level 1 aside). I'd always get too close and blow up lol

That blowing up thing is annoying but thankfully they gave u checkpoints after you enter another map area. On #5 of bomb disposal i had like no health plus for some reason id always get caught and cleared the last 3 bombs with literally no health at all. Lucky for me the guards were stupid not to fire at a distance and allowed me to diffuse the 2 last bombs before anything happened.