Lack of characters to pick? And MP import..

The Captain

I won't mention names of characters in game for risk of spoiling it for others, but at any one time the max amount of characters I had to choose from were only four, and a fair few of the missions required you had to take one of them anyway. Is this because they expect you to purchase the DLC for more characters or/and your meant to create and import multiple characters from your multiplayer games?

Also, for those who have imported a character from MP, for example, say you import a Salarian into your SP campaign, is this character now replaceable (or not) in MP if you are lucky enough to get another from the secret santa credits box?

I won't mention names of characters in game for risk of spoiling it for others, but at any one time the max amount of characters I had to choose from were only four, and a fair few of the missions required you had to take one of them anyway. Is this because they expect you to purchase the DLC for more characters or/and your meant to create and import multiple characters from your multiplayer games?

Also, for those who have imported a character from MP, for example, say you import a Salarian into your SP campaign, is this character now replaceable (or not) in MP if you are lucky enough to get another from the secret santa credits box?

On the first one, I think that is just how they did the game. I don't think it is a ploy to get people to buy the first dlc. I think it is just how they worked it in the story. In Mass Effect 2, you were actively recruiting people. Not so much here.

For the importing the multiplayer character, you still have that race with class but it is now at level 1. So don't worry on having to get that class from the packs again.

I believe I have 5 or 6 teammates to choose from to form my team while going on missions :think:

You have a total of 6 squad members if I recall correctly, in addition to the 1 DLC character.

Names in spoiler as it's possible you may just not have encountered them yet:

[spoiler=mesquad]James, Ashley/Kaidan, Liara, EDI, Garrus, and Tali.

Obviously the last two are dependent on them surviving in the previous game.

I believe that I saw an interview where people felt that the sheer number of squadmates was a little much in ME2 and so they went back to the same number as ME1. That way you had less people but more of an opportunity to use them.

how do you import a charter from multiplayer into single player? i thought it was the other way around?

You can only import a multiplayer character to single player is when they reach level 20. Once that happens, you have the option to promote them. When you do, they become a war asset. It also resets that classes level back to 1.

I believe I have 5 or 6 teammates to choose from to form my team while going on missions :think:

but ashley cant be used in every single mision so i asume kaiden cant too, and Tali joins way to late [in my opinion], so for the majority of the game you have to choose between 4 characthers add the fact that for some missions you 're forced to bring a long 1 of those characthers with you giving you not much option of who else to bring along if you want a balanced team; i think that was what he is complaining

P.S: i dont count the DLC characther [i have him] because you arent obligated to buy it.

but ashley cant be used in every single mision so i asume kaiden cant too, and Tali joins way to late [in my opinion], so for the majority of the game you have to choose between 4 characthers add the fact that for some missions you 're forced to bring a long 1 of those characthers with you giving you not much option of who else to bring along if you want a balanced team; i think that was what he is complaining

P.S: i dont count the DLC characther [i have him] because you arent obligated to buy it.

Agreed, most of the game you have only four characters to choose from. Yes other/extra characters pop in for a mission or two, but depending how you play the game and in what order - most of the game you only have four... Though technically you could argue you get 6 characters plus DLC one throughout the entire game, but the general point is most (with exceptions) players have only four people to choose for their squad. A couple more at least woulda been nice, or even if some of the old me2 characters did more than 'pop' in...

Agreed, most of the game you have only four characters to choose from. Yes other/extra characters pop in for a mission or two, but depending how you play the game and in what order - most of the game you only have four... Though technically you could argue you get 6 characters plus DLC one throughout the entire game, but the general point is most (with exceptions) players have only four people to choose for their squad. A couple more at least woulda been nice, or even if some of the old me2 characters did more than 'pop' in...

also i think ME2 team of characthers was way better. In ME3 Garrus and Tali are great but both are featured in both ME1 and ME2, Vega with the voice of Freddie Prince JR as latin sucks, Ahsley/Kaidan just ok, Liara and EDI were nice, but i'll take Wrex or Grunt or Mordin or Jack or Thane over any characther except for Garrus and Tali

As I recall you have the following characters to choose from for your squad:

Garrus, EDI, Tali, Liara, Ashley/Kaidan, James and then Javik if you have the DLC.

By my count that's 7 include Shepard and that makes 8, if you only have four then you may not have made the proper dialog choices for some characters.

Only having a PS3, Mass Effect 2 was my first game in the series, so of course I feel a stronger bond with the characters from that game. So far, about a third into the game, I'm nowhere near as happy with my team as I was last time... but I'm very well aware that this is mostly caused by sentimental reasons.

Every time a character from my ME2 team shows up for a cameo, I cannot stop grinning.

I understand why they lowered the number of characters on your team, since ME3 is focusing on the war while ME2 was focusing on recruiting people and gaining their trust and respect... but maybe they could've mixed it up a little better.

Vega is actually a tough SOB, he almost never gets taken out in battle and puts up a good fight. I use him a lot for combat heavy missions.

I actually liked Vega quite a bit to. I don't think he ever died on me, while Liara went down every 5 seconds or so.

I will say however that I lost it when he and Garrus were trading war stories and Garrus said something like, "Jimmy Vega? Sounds like a pole dancer on Omega." I had to pause the game because I was laughing so hard. :D

I just think they dropped the ball with Vega; did we really need another tough grizzled war veteran human? Isnt that what Shepard is? Why not just keep Jacob around instead. Bioware could instead have given us a member of another race that we hadnt gotten before; such as a Batarian. I know they arent the most friendly well-liked race around, but we were running around with a Geth, I am sure it would have worked.

Maybe a volus engineer, or a Vorshak soldier. Something to change the dynamic a little bit and expose us to another race that we may not have gotten much exposure to. Volus get shed in such a bad light sometimes that it would be kind of cool to get a bit more character depth to them from someone on our crew. Imagine how the Geth would be sene with Legion or the Quarians without Tali.

Know what kind of species I was hoping for for a new character?

An Elcor.

Sure, he'd probably be slow, but he'd be such a tank, just give us a young Elcor so he could keep up with the team, which I think would be the main problem with the Volus, being so short and all.

Batarians would have been nice, but I think they're racist-like tendencies against humans would have made a bad dynamic for the crew, though a good one for the story.

Vorcha just semed far too violent to ever become party members to me. They were like the love child of Zaeed and Grunt, but without as many cool history lessons or bad ass cut scenes. They just seemed...I don't know....expendable.

Know what kind of species I was hoping for for a new character?

An Elcor.

Sure, he'd probably be slow, but he'd be such a tank, just give us a young Elcor so he could keep up with the team, which I think would be the main problem with the Volus, being so short and all.

Batarians would have been nice, but I think they're racist-like tendencies against humans would have made a bad dynamic for the crew, though a good one for the story.

Vorcha just semed far too violent to ever become party members to me. They were like the love child of Zaeed and Grunt, but without as many cool history lessons or bad ass cut scenes. They just seemed...I don't know....expendable.

Thats true, but Shepard seemed to be awesome at attracting the right sort of person, who often went against their own racial cultural stereotypes, much like Shepard himself I suppose. Tali was alot more trusting of outsiders then most Quarians, Wrex is considered to be quite intelligent and envisionary by usual Krogan standards, Garrus is not as uptight as alot of tuarians seem to be, etc.

They could easily introduce a Batarian or Vorcha who was just that little bit more different to every other member of the race, that made them more accepting of being part of a multicultural crew. After all, no way is every Batarian going to be racist scum, or every Vorcha going to be a bloodthirsty savage.

While I can agree with you on both your points there, you gotta considered that while Tali/Wrex/Garrus were slightly different from their respective races, they were slight differences that still made the species as a whole accept them. You think Batarians would really let a 'Lets -not- kill the humans' person live? Probably not. Likewise, a Vorcha who would suggest helping out the other races that have hunted them just because they spawn too fast and like to kill (Remember, we Genophaged the Krogan for those exact same reasons) would have gotten far enough to make it to Shepard? Doubtful.

Though either of those two on the run from their races would be interesting to see...