The Reapers' extinction cycle.

PratikH

The ME3 demo states that the Reapers wipe out all life in the galaxy once every 50000 years.

If that were true, how did anything on earth survive the last time the Reapers came around? If the earth is roughly 100 million years old (see source below), that would mean the Reapers have already come to earth at least 1900-2000 times prior to the events of ME3.

Or did they not even know about the existence of our solar system until recently?

Source:

Age of the Earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They certainly did know about the exisrance of solar system as evidenced by the presence of Charon relay , that orbits Pluto. Why they haven`t harvested us 50000 years ago? Well, i just always figured that the Reapers only harvest sentient life, or civiliztions that have achieved a certain technological level - space travel to be more precise. In both cases they would not be interested in a bunch of cavemen that don`t even know how to speak properly.

The Earth is actually 4.5 billion years old. Considering how long it took multi-cellular life to evolve (about 3.5 billion years), if the Reapers came every 50,000 years to exterminate all life, then they'd be feeding on algae.

Enough science fact, here's the Mass Effect backstory. The Reapers use the Citadel to invade and begin wiping out civilizations. That was in Mass Effect 1. Shepard stopped their attempt at it in the first game. Had they succeeded, they would have used the info in the Citadel to track down the coordinates of every planet settled by the races of the Citadel and wipe them out. In the last cycle, Earth wasn't settled by the Protheans, so it was ignored. Mars, however, had Prothean ruins on it, so the Reapers were well aware of our solar system.

The Reapers use the Citadel to invade and begin wiping out civilizations. That was in Mass Effect 1. Shepard stopped their attempt at it in the first game. Had they succeeded, they would have used the info in the Citadel to track down the coordinates of every planet settled by the races of the Citadel and wipe them out. In the last cycle, Earth wasn't settled by the Protheans, so it was ignored. Mars, however, had Prothean ruins on it, so the Reapers were well aware of our solar system.
Yet more reasons everyone should play Mass Effect 1. (Side note, was a conversation yesterday about the new take back Earth trailer, and people not knowing that's how Husks are made... so sad)

Now to be on topic... let's not forget regardless of our advancement the Reapers would be coming to wipe us out this time as well for one simple reason. Shepard is human... and they are pissed at Shepard. No one has defied them before, or even put up a real fight. Let alone killed a Reaper as Shepard has done. It is personal this time, thus the entire conflict in Mass Effect 2, that I won't mention for spoiler reasons. But that Repear at the end... that was a message to Shepard and all of humanity.

Damn now I want to go play Mass Effect... I want to be cosmic dust slamming against the tide of inevitability.

Edited by Wreckon Dracgon

Yet more reasons everyone should play Mass Effect 1. (Side note, was a conversation yesterday about the new take back Earth trailer, and people not knowing that's how Husks are made... so sad)

Now to be on topic... let's not forget regardless of our advancement the Reapers would be coming to wipe us out this time as well for one simple reason. Shepard is human... and they are pissed at Shepard. No one has defied them before, or even put up a real fight. Let alone killed a Reaper as Shepard has done. It is personal this time, thus the entire conflict in Mass Effect 2, that I won't mention for spoiler reasons. But that Repear at the end... that was a message to Shepard and all of humanity.

Damn now I want to go play Mass Effect... I want to be cosmic dust slamming against the tide of inevitability.

Shepard was instrumental in killing 2 Reapers.

Despite the fact that ME2 has far better gameplay, I much prefer the first game because of the quality of the story and the overall feel of the game. You truly felt small and insignificant in the first game and I loved that.

Currently playing 1 (after 2), and loving the story, but DAMN the second one's gameplay is SO much better. 1 Feels like a broken game. Also, for a game that's supposed to have autosave, it really doesn't autosave very often. Wasted half an hour the other night getting back to the same spot where I died, plus all the items and upgrades I have to find/reapply. And the driving sux, and the missions drag on a bit too much.

2's pacing is far better, and from what I can tell by 3's demo, it's even better now.

Currently playing 1 (after 2), and loving the story, but DAMN the second one's gameplay is SO much better. 1 Feels like a broken game. Also, for a game that's supposed to have autosave, it really doesn't autosave very often. Wasted half an hour the other night getting back to the same spot where I died, plus all the items and upgrades I have to find/reapply. And the driving sux, and the missions drag on a bit too much.

2's pacing is far better, and from what I can tell by 3's demo, it's even better now.

Yes you'll want to save often :D, I however much preferred the combat in the first game... gameplay was tighter in the second but in terms of playability and all out fun I far prefer the first game.

Shepard was instrumental in killing 2 Reapers.

Despite the fact that ME2 has far better gameplay, I much prefer the first game because of the quality of the story and the overall feel of the game. You truly felt small and insignificant in the first game and I loved that.

2? I only remember killig 1 - Sovereign. Harbinger is not dead.

Mass Effect 2 Spoiler Alert

[spoiler=] At the end of ME2 you and your squad kill the Human Reaper, whether you choose to all out destroy or salvage it is your choice but you kill that SOB... hopefully with a Cain blast like a professional... although I think I used five Singularities to end him :D

Edited by Wreckon Dracgon

I'd put it closer to like 1.75 Reapers killed.

[spoiler=me]Sovereign=1

Derelict Reaper=.5

Human Reaper=.25

Pretty sure EDI said that the human reaper was essentially like a Reaper fetus so that barely counts in my opinion. And then you essentially find an already pretty dead reaper and finish the job. Sovereign is the only full strength Reaper you've actually fought so far.

Yes you'll want to save often :D, I however much preferred the combat in the first game... gameplay was tighter in the second but in terms of playability and all out fun I far prefer the first game.

I notice these things tend to have an effect on your based on when you play them. In context of other games out in 2007, Mass Effect is far superior to anything I can think of right now. But playing it 5 years after release, and AFTER it's arguably improved sequel, that's what's currently making it hard for me to play. Luckily the story keeps me interested :)

[spoiler=] At the end of ME2 you and your squad kill the Human Reaper, whether you choose to all out destroy or salvage it is your choice but you kill that SOB... hopefully with a Cain blast like a professional... although I think I used five Singularities to end him :D

Spoilers contain my thoughts.

I'd put it closer to like 1.75 Reapers killed.

That's kinda how I take it, too.

I downloaded ME1 as well, and haven't gotten much further than the 1st mission. Strolling the Citadel now, and have been frustrated with not being able to skip dialogue. So far I like ME2's gameplay much better.

Part of it may be that my laptop's fan blows full-blast while playing and I don't care to overheat my computer just for a game's "prequel".

That's kinda how I take it, too.

I downloaded ME1 as well, and haven't gotten much further than the 1st mission. Strolling the Citadel now, and have been frustrated with not being able to skip dialogue. So far I like ME2's gameplay much better.

Part of it may be that my laptop's fan blows full-blast while playing and I don't care to overheat my computer just for a game's "prequel".

On the 360 X (i.e. square) would skip. Surprised it doesn't work on PC.

• 2 weeks later...

haha I loved that comment about the Cain, I used that cos he was pissing me off and taking too long to die, 1 hit with that and he pretty much gone