Should This Be My First Mass Effect Game...

Kruggs

I would highly suggest you don't start here. If you start on ME3, you'll only get 1/3 of the whole experience. You won't have any backstory, connection to the characters and the universe, or your own chosen story elements.

If you don't care about the story and only want it for gameplay, then feel free, but if you want to enjoy the story, at least play ME2 first. Maybe even watch a full playthrough of ME1 on youtube so that way you get as close to the full experience as you can on PS3.

To be honest, the developers would probably disagree. They've been commenting all the time that ME3 is a great place to start. It may be towards the end of Shepard's personal story, but ME3 is the start and finish of the intergalatic war.

But as Timbo already suggested, ME2 is good for the backstory and connection to the characters. So the real question is... do you want to WAIT to play ME3?

I was kind of having the same debate as well. I played Mass Effect 1 a long time ago on 360, but never played Mass Effect 2. I just picked up Mass Effect 2 for $20, so I'm gonna play that first and try to beat it by the 6th. I just hope playing through both of them back to back isn't too much Mass Effect too soon.

I would highly recommend you play ME2 before ME3 as it's such an incredible game. It's such a shame that the first one isn't for PS3 it's such a jewel of a game. The comic doesn''t do the epic first one in the trilogy justice. They may say that you dont need to play the other 2 ME games to play 3 but I disagree. If you only started on 3 I think you would be a little lost in the story from the start of the demo experience. You'd have no idea why you were grounded or what they Reapers are.