ME3 copies going into space, re-entering Earth at a major city near you (or not...)

Veritas7Ax

At first I thought this was an early April Fool's joke or something, but apparently it isn't.

The hype for one of the year's hottest video games, Mass Effect 3 (out March 6, on PS3, Xbox 360 and PCs, ages 17-up) is reaching new stratospheric heights.

In case you don't know, a playable demo has already hit Xbox Live and the PlayStation Network.

But next week, a select intrepid few will have the opportunity to play the full game before it hits stores. Publisher Electronic Arts will be launching copies of the game into space using weather balloons that will be released in New York, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Berlin, London and Paris.

Each game has a GPS tracking device onboard and fans can track their return to the Earth on masseffect.com to find a copy and play it a week or more before the game hits stores. (Might not be a bad idea to follow @MassEffect, either.)

In other Mass Effect news, a new trailer for the game will be shown during AMC's TV series The Walking Dead Sunday at 9 p.m./ 8 p.m. CT.

'Mass Effect 3' becomes true space oddity

So there you have it. The game will be falling on top of your house if you're lucky, or in a landfill near your town if you're not lucky. If you're really unlucky (through no fault of your own), there may be a few states, countries, or even oceans between you and these games turned meteorites. It's one of the weirdest, but most awesome promotions I've seen.

Sadly, I bet most of them will be 360 copies.

Edited by Veritas7Ax

One of the San Francisco copies has landed... in a tree. People are trying to get it down with all manner of tools.

Saw this coming.

Mass Effect 2 - Facebook

Also, here are the launch/landing dates for the other copies for the other major cities. Again, unfortunately, not many are included.

http://masseffect.com/space/

Edited by Veritas7Ax