should i get the 1st mass effect?

Lilrican

i know it is a 360 game but should i get it?

You don't really need it, the PS3 ME2 is fun without the back story as long as you get the Cerberus pack to get the interactive comic on ME2 for PS3.

I recently got the 4gb 360 (Boxing day sale $130) and got a copy of ME1 for $20 and it is fun to play.

I only got the 360 for exclusive content like Halo and ME1 etc.

Edited by ecto69

Just bought a friends 360 and was considering getting the first. I haven't played ME2 yet and I don't know whether I will play any of them. I am an avid RPG fan but I don't like shooters at all and am not interested in playing "insanely hard" games, especially ones that will never see a platinum or 100%. Don't know what to do.

Just bought a friends 360 and was considering getting the first. I haven't played ME2 yet and I don't know whether I will play any of them. I am an avid RPG fan but I don't like shooters at all and am not interested in playing "insanely hard" games, especially ones that will never see a platinum or 100%. Don't know what to do.

I definitely wouldn't call ME 2 "insanely hard". Even the Insanity difficulty really isn't that bad. I'm the opposite of you, playing a fair number of shooters, but this was my first RPG. I personally thought it was amazing and can't recommend it enough.

I did the Cerberus backstory, but have never played ME 1. Since I don't own an Xbox and I have serious doubts my 'seasoned' computer could handle it, I probably won't but I'm cool with that :rolleyes:

Dont have to play ME1. But if you have the chance I would say yes, go for it. If its on xbox or PC dosent matter. Its a great game still. You can also see how much it evolved from ME1 to ME2. Its actually pretty impressive.

I agree, you should get it, it is very cheap now and you have plenty of time to play it before ME3 comes out.

well i do have me2 and soon me3 and i did that back story with the comic...

This late in the game with ME3 around the corner (it has gone GOLD) I would not start ME1 , however at some point I do recommend it.

On the PC when I played it a bit, it was so cool to be able to run and shoot at the same time (keyboard for moving and mouse for shooting) I could never do it well on the PS3. Not that you really need to.

I will eventually try and complete ME1 on Xbox I prefer console as I sit too much in front of computers to enjoy games on them.

I definitely wouldn't call ME 2 "insanely hard". Even the Insanity difficulty really isn't that bad. I'm the opposite of you, playing a fair number of shooters, but this was my first RPG. I personally thought it was amazing and can't recommend it enough.

I did the Cerberus backstory, but have never played ME 1. Since I don't own an Xbox and I have serious doubts my 'seasoned' computer could handle it, I probably won't but I'm cool with that :rolleyes:

Well I guess I will have to judge for myself. I will get the first for the 360, close my eyes and dive in. Wish me luck.

I think it all depends on the time you have to play ME1 and ME2, and if you want to finish those before playing ME3 which is only 17 days away now.

While the PS3 version is great and I actually for some reason find it more complete than the 360 version (of ME2) probably due to being able to have access to everything from the start, it did not feel the same playing through ME2 on the PS3 as it did on the 360.

One of the greatest things about Mass Effect is the story, and how you shape that story. I have a total of five different playthroughs (three on Xbox and two on PS3) that I will playthrough on ME3. And all five of those playthroughs are such different stories.

While the motion comic in ME2 for PS3 serves its purpose it is far from the feel of ME1. I won't spoil anything for you in case you do decide to play it, but there are so many things that happen in Mass Effect 2 that you don't get a feel or reference for if you've not played the first.

Just one small example, the first time you visit the Krogan home world there are four different awesome moments that are so special but only if you've played the first. If you've not played ME1 you have no sense of what makes them so special.

So if you have the time, most definitely you should play Mass Effect 1. I've not been on my 360 since X-mas but come March 6 I wouldn't want to be anywhere else, because that is where the real Wreckon Shepard lives.

Hell Yes you NEED to get it. I dont care if there is a Genesis "Comic" where you can make your choices and whatnot. And people will say it doesnt matter, no no, that is wrong! LOL. Seriously, there are so many small/large variables and experiences that you can NOT get by simply doing the interactive comic. If you have a PC or an Xbox, playthrough the first one and import THAT character into ME2. Take from someone who has a Grand total of at least 20+ Shepard profiles across xbox and ps3. I was excited this game came to PS3 because it gave me a chance to earn a platinum for a game that I already 1000/1000 on the xbox version. Well worth it. Go play the first BEFORE you start ME2.

Edited by julesthegr8
spelling

Good Luck! :D

After reading some of the comments here, I'm getting tempted to get ME1 from Steam and see how it goes on my computer...

Just do yourself a favor BEFORE you start it....remember it was made in 2006-07 and dont compare it to any other third person shooter. Also, many who have played it, HATE if and dont even finish the Very first level. Trust me, just keep playing after the first mission, learn the weapon customization system and just bear with driving that Mako All Terrain vehicle and it will quickly become one of your favorite games.:D

I've played me1 and me2 on the Xbox (ps3 is my main system) and will be getting me3 in the summer. If you have the opportunity to play all three on one system (pc or Xbox) then I'd say go for it. Playing two games (eventually 3) with my Shepard has made this series something special. No other game I've played has let me do that.

Yes, the ps3 version has that comic to help with some of the big decisions made from the first game, but it's just not the same.