Been thinking of starting this

There is less to do in this game than in 4 for the plat, much less. Though the item duplication glitch in 4 would cut down a lot of time spent grinding.

Would you mind elaborating on what you mean by how things work? I'm unsure as to what you specificly mean by that and I'd rather not act like I know and type something as it may seem ignorant or patronising if it is something you already know.

Ok then. I'll try to avoid repeating everything in the trophy guide as reading the same thing twice won't be fun. I will however make a few points that are in the guide that I personally disagree with.

Firstly you don't need Mao to be max level. You don't need to capture ridiculously strong monsters to be able to plat this game. I got him to level 1,500 (Needed him to be at around that to be able to jump high enough to reach things for trophies) and just left him alone. Sure it would have took next to no time to level him to 9,999 once I had the good equipment, but I never saw a reason to bother. I didn't like him and didn't want him in my party. I never bothered with capturing enemies on this game anyway, bar the one you have to catch for the trophy. It simply isn't needed to be THAT powerful to plat the game.

Secondly you don't have to be max level to beat most the pirates. You don't even have to reach level 2,000. If you keep a few gold items from early on in the game, the enemies in them will be weak. This includes the pirates even on the later floors. One level 1,000 was more than enough for me to kill all pirates, except the ones in the Land of Carnage. So I got the tickets relatively early, and unlocked the Land of Carnage quite fast too, and as that is the best place for leveling and getting the best equipment, that is definately a good thing.

Thirdly, if you are cheap like me and don't want to buy DLC the alternative method to do 10 billion damage is nowhere near as long as you'd think it is when reading the trophy guide. I mean you have to get a combo of 255 at some point anyway for one trophy so you might as well use that to get the damage trophy too.

If you are worried you are too weak for the LoC once you unlock it (I was) then the easiest way to get the best equipment is reverse pirating. Just get a ship, one that stays for 1 or 2 turns at most (The lower the better because if you find yourself waiting around too long, you can be wiped out) get a rank 30+ legendary item (Not sure if these is a list on this site on what rank each item is, I personally used the one on gamefaqs) and take it to floor 100 in the regular realm. You can use any rank 30+ item, it does not have to be legendary. Just with legendary items you get 100 floors, so can do reverse pirating 5 times in that item. Travel to the LoC and save. Choose to reverse pirate, pick up and throw the closest green chests (Green are the only ones that give legendary items) to you onto the ship. If none are close to you, reload. Saves wasting a large amount of time getting a chest that probably won't have what you want in anyway. Once your turns are up and you see what is in the chests, see if any are rank 39 items. If not, reload as the amount of times you can reverse pirate is limited. You may end up reloading a lot, but when you are low level/have poor gear this is the safest way to get the best equipment.

The trophy guide topic goes into detail on the item world and character world so I will leave that alone unless you are unsure about anything regarding either. However, there are some innocents you want to keep a look out for in the item world (Innocents are the things you find in the item, gladiators, marksman etc. Sorry if that seems patronising and you already knew that. I myself had no idea what they were when I started playing as this was my first Disgaea game.).

Statistication - Increase exp gain by % x number you have. So a maxed 300 = 300% extra exp. Fill all pieces of equipment with maxed statistications and you can be leveling from 1 - 9,999 in one/two battles when in the LoC.

Fist Fighter - Maxes at 500. Used in fist weapons. Increases the stats the character gets from the weapon by a lot once maxed. Extremely useful as fist weapons are arguably the best way to level, with the skill Big Bang.

Guardian - Same as Fist Fighter only for armour/accessories. You only need one maxed Guardian per character. Having one in each accessory a character has will not increase the stat gain anymore.

Fencer - Same as Fist Fighter only for swords.

Lumberjack - For axes.

Lancer - Spear.

Eros - Bow.

Deadeye - Gun.

Cane Master - Staff.

Monster Lover - Monster weapon (Both magic and melee kinds)

All of these (I think) can only be obtained when reverse pirating. I don't recommend doing this in the LoC due to how hard the enemies there are. Best to do this in a weak item in the regular realm so you don't have to worry about being wiped out.

Another thing. When you complete the game and access the post game. Consider just getting the treasure chests on the base map and starting your second cycle. If you felt you stuggled too much during the story then level a bit first, but try to avoid following the post game 'story'. The reasons for this are that you need to do a second cycle to unlock a specific class. A class that has arguably the best evility, Violence. This halves your exp gain (So don't equip it when trying to level) but it doubles your stats. The sooner you get that on your entire party, the better. The second reason for starting the second cycle straight away is because in the post game you can unlock extra characters, some of which are from previous NIS titles. Unlocking the maps you fight and unlock these characters on costs mana. Mana you could use on transferring skills in the character world. And when you start a second cycle you lose all these extra characters. And although they return at the exact level you left them, with the same gear, you still have to unlock the map again with more mana, and then defeat them again. Which I wasn't too pleased about.

I'm not really sure if anything I have typed there is even remotely useful.. But I can hope.

• 3 weeks later...
Ok then. I'll try to avoid repeating everything in the trophy guide as reading the same thing twice won't be fun. I will however make a few points that are in the guide that I personally disagree with.

Firstly you don't need Mao to be max level. You don't need to capture ridiculously strong monsters to be able to plat this game. I got him to level 1,500 (Needed him to be at around that to be able to jump high enough to reach things for trophies) and just left him alone. Sure it would have took next to no time to level him to 9,999 once I had the good equipment, but I never saw a reason to bother. I didn't like him and didn't want him in my party. I never bothered with capturing enemies on this game anyway, bar the one you have to catch for the trophy. It simply isn't needed to be THAT powerful to plat the game.

Secondly you don't have to be max level to beat most the pirates. You don't even have to reach level 2,000. If you keep a few gold items from early on in the game, the enemies in them will be weak. This includes the pirates even on the later floors. One level 1,000 was more than enough for me to kill all pirates, except the ones in the Land of Carnage. So I got the tickets relatively early, and unlocked the Land of Carnage quite fast too, and as that is the best place for leveling and getting the best equipment, that is definately a good thing.

Thirdly, if you are cheap like me and don't want to buy DLC the alternative method to do 10 billion damage is nowhere near as long as you'd think it is when reading the trophy guide. I mean you have to get a combo of 255 at some point anyway for one trophy so you might as well use that to get the damage trophy too.

If you are worried you are too weak for the LoC once you unlock it (I was) then the easiest way to get the best equipment is reverse pirating. Just get a ship, one that stays for 1 or 2 turns at most (The lower the better because if you find yourself waiting around too long, you can be wiped out) get a rank 30+ legendary item (Not sure if these is a list on this site on what rank each item is, I personally used the one on gamefaqs) and take it to floor 100 in the regular realm. You can use any rank 30+ item, it does not have to be legendary. Just with legendary items you get 100 floors, so can do reverse pirating 5 times in that item. Travel to the LoC and save. Choose to reverse pirate, pick up and throw the closest green chests (Green are the only ones that give legendary items) to you onto the ship. If none are close to you, reload. Saves wasting a large amount of time getting a chest that probably won't have what you want in anyway. Once your turns are up and you see what is in the chests, see if any are rank 39 items. If not, reload as the amount of times you can reverse pirate is limited. You may end up reloading a lot, but when you are low level/have poor gear this is the safest way to get the best equipment.

The trophy guide topic goes into detail on the item world and character world so I will leave that alone unless you are unsure about anything regarding either. However, there are some innocents you want to keep a look out for in the item world (Innocents are the things you find in the item, gladiators, marksman etc. Sorry if that seems patronising and you already knew that. I myself had no idea what they were when I started playing as this was my first Disgaea game.).

Statistication - Increase exp gain by % x number you have. So a maxed 300 = 300% extra exp. Fill all pieces of equipment with maxed statistications and you can be leveling from 1 - 9,999 in one/two battles when in the LoC.

Fist Fighter - Maxes at 500. Used in fist weapons. Increases the stats the character gets from the weapon by a lot once maxed. Extremely useful as fist weapons are arguably the best way to level, with the skill Big Bang.

Guardian - Same as Fist Fighter only for armour/accessories. You only need one maxed Guardian per character. Having one in each accessory a character has will not increase the stat gain anymore.

Fencer - Same as Fist Fighter only for swords.

Lumberjack - For axes.

Lancer - Spear.

Eros - Bow.

Deadeye - Gun.

Cane Master - Staff.

Monster Lover - Monster weapon (Both magic and melee kinds)

All of these (I think) can only be obtained when reverse pirating. I don't recommend doing this in the LoC due to how hard the enemies there are. Best to do this in a weak item in the regular realm so you don't have to worry about being wiped out.

Another thing. When you complete the game and access the post game. Consider just getting the treasure chests on the base map and starting your second cycle. If you felt you stuggled too much during the story then level a bit first, but try to avoid following the post game 'story'. The reasons for this are that you need to do a second cycle to unlock a specific class. A class that has arguably the best evility, Violence. This halves your exp gain (So don't equip it when trying to level) but it doubles your stats. The sooner you get that on your entire party, the better. The second reason for starting the second cycle straight away is because in the post game you can unlock extra characters, some of which are from previous NIS titles. Unlocking the maps you fight and unlock these characters on costs mana. Mana you could use on transferring skills in the character world. And when you start a second cycle you lose all these extra characters. And although they return at the exact level you left them, with the same gear, you still have to unlock the map again with more mana, and then defeat them again. Which I wasn't too pleased about.

I'm not really sure if anything I have typed there is even remotely useful.. But I can hope.

this is alot of info and i thank you for all the effort. But its one of the reasons why im so worried to try this game, theres so much stuff in it. I think that if i try it out though i should be able to pick it up. Im currently trying on a secondary account to see whats up. Its a fun play and my brother loves these kinds of games so i sit and watch him when he comes over, to see if i see anything new. But i want to move it to my main in a bit for sure. So thanks again for the info Tsunami:dance:

It sounds more overwhelming than it actually is. There have been times when trying to plat 4 that I've just not known what trophy to aim for next because there has been so much to do and I've temporarily stopped playing and moved to a different game. That never happened to me in 3. I always knew what trophy I was after and what I needed to be able to get it.

• 6 months later...

I had a sudden urge to play my copy of Disgaea 3 again for a while now. I manage to get about 8% in trophies with my old account and really felt it will be complicated/grindy to achieve platinum but as I had read your guide and the posts here, I seem to be encourage and start playing it again with my current account. Hope I don't end up getting discourage mid-way like last time lol~