M.E 3 Gets Even Harder Insanity Mode

Nakatomi_Uk

Mass Effect 3's Insanity mode will be more brutal than ever, says dev -- PlayStation Universe

Mass Effect 3 lead designer Preston Watamaniuk has revealed that the sci-fi sequel’s Insanity Mode is even tougher than previous games, and warned players must be extra vigilant or they’ll surely end up brown bread.

Chatting with the folks at OXM, Watamaniuk said the decision to up the ante for the already notoriously difficult mode came at a request from a fellow designer.

"You'll notice that if you play on Insanity, that sort of general rule of thumb is even harsher. You'd better be doing everything well, or you'll die," said Watamaniuk.

"I had a lead designer for another game write to say 'make Insanity harder!' And I was like "OK!" he explained. "This was a really well-known and respected guy, so I was like 'OK, I'll do my best.'"

The BioWare man went on to say that while you may be able to get away with blasting your way through the game on Normal mode, players will have to carefully strategise their moves on harder difficulties.

"We really thought about it hard. On Normal you'll be able to power your way through the game or shoot your way through the game, but when you try Hardcore or Insanity, you're not going to be able to do that any more,” offered Watamaniuk.

"You really will have to think about each combat, who the enemies are, what kind of resistance you're presented with, and then strategise to take them down. I'm hoping that it'll feel like you made a mistake, and the game called you on it, rather than 'I thought I was playing well, and then I died'."

Mass Effect 3 will conclude Commander Shepard’s story in the series as he squares off against the evil Reapers, who have begun their invasion of Earth.

If anyone of you wanted an even bigger challenge then thank your lucky stars you've got it. And all because a designer requested it not the fans I assume this mode will have a trophy to it obviously.

A.I better be ******* better than no.2 thats all I can say on that....

Insanity on ME2 was really hard up until Horizon then it got really easy. I really hope Insanity is better balanced this time around in ME3.

My thoughts exactly. Anytime I died after Horizon was my fault. It wasn't because the situation was unfair or challenging, it was because I wasn't paying attention or because I was being reckless.

I had a harder time getting through whatever difficulty I played the first time.

Insanity on ME2 was really hard up until Horizon then it got really easy. I really hope Insanity is better balanced this time around in ME3.

I agree. Hate to give up on a very hard play but I did on this game. It didn't suck me in like GOW did. Maybe this will be more "sucking". :)

i'm all for harder difficulties i just hope if it's super hard there's not a trophy for it. I don't normally play on the hardest difficulty unless their is a trophy involved.

And that is why they put that trophy there. They want people to play it on its hardest setting.

However, I have been known to completely skip a game if it required a insanity difficulty playthrough.

That doesn't mean it shouldn't. In my opinion; the more the options the game has to offer, the better it is.

I'm glad they made it more harder. I'm bored of good games with easy Platinums.

Doesnt mean they should either, like Assassins Creed they story is more important than the difficulty. Look dude you have 350+ plats like anything that YOU achieved yourself were that hard for you anyway... I think that games that take time to complete shouldnt focus on difficulty.

Doesnt mean they should either, like Assassins Creed they story is more important than the difficulty. Look dude you have 350+ plats like anything that YOU achieved yourself were that hard for you anyway... I think that games that take time to complete shouldnt focus on difficulty.

Difficulty has been a part of Mass Effect from the original game and it gives a reason to go back and replay the game. Let's face it, the game is fun to play but not very difficult so if you go back to play it again to make different choices, why not get a little challenge out of it?

A.I better be ******* better than no.2 thats all I can say on that....
I agree with you there mate... Got damn it Miranda get in cover and Grunt if I have to put Fortification on you again I swear I'm going to scream.

One thing that I would like but don't see an easy way to implement is a better way to change squad members. I had two very different set of squads based on whether I was facing organics or synthetics. It would be nice to change on the fly, even if it were at a cost like “Miranda go back to the ship and get Tali down here” then for 30 seconds or so you and your one squad mate would have to fend them off until Tali arrived to replace Miranda.

Either way I hated facing organics without Dominate and Synthetics without Energy Drain.

In my opinion; the more the options the game has to offer, the better it is.

I couldn't agree more with both comments, if you want an easy platinum there are plenty of kid games out there that are easy as they should be... but our adult games should be tough... everyone talks about Demon Souls and how brutal it was, but that's the way gaming should be at times. Do you not remember the joy of finishing Dante Must Die the first time... or finally getting off that damn Beach on CoD.

As for ME2 it did get much easier as it went on... the first missions to recurit Mordin and up to Horizon and those flood of Husks and The Praetorian was brutal good... then I got a Sniper Rifle and everything just died... still unbelievable and amazing game but I went from fearing the sound of the Harbinger to Warp, Sniper with Cryo Ammo, and Slam Next. It's one thing when you start on Normal and no enemies at the beginning have shields and barriers and then you have enemies that have one or two, but on Insanity they start out with two or three of them already. You then level up and become more powerful but they still have two or three.

Edited by Wreckon Dracgon

I don't mind the harder difficulty for Insanity as long as it doesn't feel cheap, the squad AI is better (at least responds to your commands), and you can re-allocate points to squad members' abilities at any point like you can Shepard.

It would also be nice (and I'm sure they'll do this again for the $$) if you can buy extra strong armor and weapons as DLC if you get stuck.

Why? ME2 Insanity was already as hard as any game ever needed to be. There was no need to make an already insanely hard difficulty mode even harder. Whoever that developer was who sent that letter is an asshole.

He said as if he actually plays games. :rofl:

considering insanity on me2 was not even hard this will be interesting. me2 had a false sense of difficulty because you did not have any good powers or upgrades early in the game making horizon pretty hard. once you get pass horizon it is smooth sailing with only the ghost ship mission possibly giving you trouble if you have not been using points right for yourself and teammates.

Why? ME2 Insanity was already as hard as any game ever needed to be. There was no need to make an already insanely hard difficulty mode even harder. Whoever that developer was who sent that letter is an asshole.

He said as if he actually plays games. :rofl:

I didn't find the game difficult on Insanity at all. In fact, I found it to be rather simple and Insanity is the only way that I will play the game anymore because it is the only difficulty option that I enjoy. (I have beaten it 3 times on Insanity)

the other very difficult part is the top of the Shadow Brokers ship that was fucking bullshit

LOL which is why Im happy that there wasnt a trophy associated with the PS3 version of the game like there is an achievement with the Xbox version. Even on Hardcore (which i did it on for the achievement) it wasnt easy at all.