If you can, play Mass Effect 3 on PC

duck360

As the title says; if you can or already have a gaming PC then I recommend playing Mass Effect 3 on PC

First time I played Mass Effect was a year ago which was 2 on PS3. Played it, Plated it, Loved it. Now that Mass Effect 3 is almost a month away, I wanted to get completely ready for probably the biggest game in 2012 and I thought PC would be much better than PS3 since the first one isn't available on PS3.

After finished the first one and then imported the save to the second one, there are A LOT of things that wasn't there on PS3. I know PS3 got that Comic thing and I did try it but it's really nothing compared to having a real Mass Effect One save file. So much more Side Quests.

For an Example. in Mass Effect One, while on the way to destroy Saren's lab on Virmire. You'll get a small cut scene of an Asari wanting to live after she worked for Saren. I let her live and guess what. She was there in Mass Effect 2.

That was one simple example. There were a lot more.

So basically, playing Mass Effect >> Mass Effect 2 >> Mass Effect 3 - will be so much better than just Mass Effect 2 >> Mass Effect 3.

Just saying...

I couldn't disagree with you more, the comic, despite not depicting minor moments of the first, allowed you to experience a sum of what it was like, and if it was to be as you said i would rather play Turok on SNES than Mass Effect on PC, PC gaming is a dying world with the rapid evolution of console gaming leaving it obsolete, with only MMOs to show for, Which PS3 has already integrated it within its long list of capabilities (it only does everything). If i were to begin my complete Mass Effect play through it would be on Xbox 360, just saying.

I played ME1 and ME2 on my friend's 360 before it was ever released for the PS3 and I was definitely a little disappointed when I realized we didn't get all of the smaller side quests and characters to carry over. I realize the characters like the asari you mentioned aren't super important, but running into them from game to game just added to appeal of the universe. It felt much more immersive to me and it was just a lot of fun running into familiar faces.

All that being said, I'm still very happy that we got a PS3 version of the Mass Effect series at all. It was the only XBox exclusive I was ever jealous of. I realize there is essentially no chance of us getting ME1 since Microsoft still holds the rights to it so I'm just happy with whatever version we could get.

Yep! I played the HELL out of Mass Effect 1, at least 14 full playthroughs. Which is why when I played ME2 on my Xbox, I had so many different and varying experienes it was a little sad when I played ME2 on my PS3 all those little things that made my Xbox runs special werent there. I plan on playing ME3 at least 5 or 6 times on the xbox first, get 1000/1000 achievements, then tackle the same feat on the PS3 version and get the Plat.

I agree also Duck that there are so many differences. For example do you remember the run in you might have had with Helena Blake on the citadel in ME1? Depending on the outcome of that mission she gives you, she appears again on Omega in Mass Effect 2 with some interesting Dialogue.

• 2 weeks later...

PC gaming has been "dying" for the last 10 years. It's not without it's ups and downs, but in many ways it surpasses console gaming (and in some ways vice versa). Although if it wasn't for Steam and GOG it's probably not something I'd spend money on.

My ME2 experience mirrors the OP in that my intro to the Mass Effect universe came about with the PS3 version. Aside from load times it was a great experience. But the PC version outstrips it in every way. Having hotkeys for powers and squadmates may be challenging to use at 1st, but once you get used to it the console controls just don't measure up. I do use a 360 controller for many PC games (not an elitist) but ME2 was designed for m/kb IMO.

Probably the only negative thing I can say about ME2 on PC is how they rape their PC fanbase with the DLC prices (which never goes on sale).

I will definitely play ME3 on PS3 for the trophies, but for the bulk of my playing it will be on PC, connected via HDMI to my big screen tv playing at true 1080p/60fps. That and the continuity provided through imported saves makes for the best ME3 experience, at least for me.

Hopefully the PS3 ME3 release will have much improved load times and not be the red headed stepchild of the 3 versions.

PC gaming has been "dying" for the last 10 years. It's not without it's ups and downs, but in many ways it surpasses console gaming (and in some ways vice versa). Although if it wasn't for Steam and GOG it's probably not something I'd spend money on.

This is completely untrue. There are more PC gamers world wide then there are XBox 360, PS3, or Wii gamers. People forget that PC gaming is huge in Asia where gamers can achieve celebrity status like sports stars in the US. Also, don't forget about Facebook games. Hell, even Minesweeper is a PC game.

All of that being said, the western game market has steadily moved away from PC gaming and gone to console gaming. I would also say that in the US there are less dedicated gaming PCs then there are consoles.

This is completely untrue. There are more PC gamers world wide then there are XBox 360, PS3, or Wii gamers. People forget that PC gaming is huge in Asia where gamers can achieve celebrity status like sports stars in the US. Also, don't forget about Facebook games. Hell, even Minesweeper is a PC game.

All of that being said, the western game market has steadily moved away from PC gaming and gone to console gaming. I would also say that in the US there are less dedicated gaming PCs then there are consoles.

lol, I actually agree with you which is why I placed dying in quotations. The death of PC gaming has been proclaimed numerous times within the last decade. I was referring in a roundabout way to the 2nd post which stated PC gaming was a dying and soon to be obsolete affair.

I started playing this series on ps3 as well but felt like I needed the full experience so I got Mass Effect for the xbox 360, beat it and imported my character to Mass Effect 2 on xbox 360 and enjoyed the game even more. Will be getting Mass Effect 3 for xbox 360 as well, but it was ME2 on ps3 that started the addiction for me:D

I'd rather just stick to my ME2 on my PS3. Sure, I may miss out on little dialogues and missions here an there, but overall, I like playing it on this console. I will NEVER go back to 360, and I don't think I would want to play ME1 on the PC just for some extra side missions... That's a lot of money...

I'll just stick with the comic. It got the main points in there, which I liked. I was happy that ME2 came over to PS3. Sure, I may not get the "full" experience, but I'll get 95% of it.

I couldn't disagree with you more, the comic, despite not depicting minor moments of the first, allowed you to experience a sum of what it was like, and if it was to be as you said i would rather play Turok on SNES than Mass Effect on PC, PC gaming is a dying world with the rapid evolution of console gaming leaving it obsolete, with only MMOs to show for, Which PS3 has already integrated it within its long list of capabilities (it only does everything). If i were to begin my complete Mass Effect play through it would be on Xbox 360, just saying.

Spoken like a true blind fanboy.

Here are my two reasons to not play Mass Effect 3 on PC:

1. Origin

2. Playing a third person cover-based shooter with a keyboard and mouse feels so wrong

3. Mass Effect 2 and 3 are visually great games, and I'd rather run it with ease on my PS3 then have to worry about it even running at all on my laptop with an Intel Integrated Graphics card. I stick to Indie/older Steam games.

If I play Mass Effect 3, it will be a borrowed/used copy on PS3 without purchasing the online pass, ensuring EA gets none of my money. All those little things are nice, but Mass Effect 2 was a great enough experience that I didn't need those extras.

Edited by Cornagandarub

Here are my two reasons to not play Mass Effect 3 on PC:

1. Origin

2. Playing a third person cover-based shooter with a keyboard and mouse feels so wrong

3. Mass Effect 2 and 3 are visually great games, and I'd rather run it with ease on my PS3 then have to worry about it even running at all on my laptop with an Intel Integrated Graphics card. I stick to Indie/older Steam games.

If I play Mass Effect 3, it will be a borrowed/used copy on PS3 without purchasing the online pass, ensuring EA gets none of my money. All those little things are nice, but Mass Effect 2 was a great enough experience that I didn't need those extras.

So, you missed out on ME2's Zaeed? Kind of a shame. That was actually fun. I realize that companies are only just trying to keep making a profit for games that they make. If you buy it new, it's free. So, I don't see the problem in that. Whereas, if you buy it used, it's only going to save you $5-10...