Best Place for Steel Fist Expert trophy (Tested 2 times)

princeazrak

You sir, are the best not only is the area right at the beginning of the chapter, but I got it on my 3rd try. Yes I did do some kicks, some nut punches, and some face punches but it still counted. If you mistakenly break their neck, keep killing as on my last kill I snapped the neck by mistake and killed one more and got it. Also this got me the plat :)

Edited by Granosx

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got this trophy and wanted to share exactly how I did it.

I'm not good with guns or agility, so naturally this was the hardest trophy for me.

I got this on Chapter 9 at the start of the chapter on Very Easy. the hardest part is at the beginning, as the space is littered and tight. If you get the first few kills, you'll move on to the next checkpoint. I'm pretty sure if you muck it up at this point, you'll have to restart the chapter from the main menu.

Here's how you should get each kill:

-Use a pistol: I used the pistol I start with to do everything, I'm not sure if this is ideal but it worked for me.

-Don't fight groups. You might hit the wrong guy with the blind fire and not be able to get the punch off, you might shoot the right guy and then punch the wrong one, you might get killed, disoriented, or blocked. Just don't do it. If there's a group, don't shoot, run away, hide, wait.

-Get in front of your opponent: Stand point-blank but avoid melee range, if they start swinging you have to ignore their attacks while people shoot you, and then run away and hide. Not ideal but if you don't disengage then you've got to restart.

-Shoot from the hip (without aiming): I started off using the aim but often it would disorient me or the target would be moving too much. Just wait till they are either shooting you or hiding, then get the guaranteed shot.

-Run in and punch: Get in there and give him a punch, I use the icon on the right of the screen since it's always at the same spot and I won't miss my window. You have a good second or two where you can do this before they recover. If they recover, you can't shoot them again or they die, so you've got to restart. It's better not to shoot if you don't think you can land the punch.

-Run away: Sometimes if the enemies are separated I can get 3-4 of them in a row but depending on how bad you're hurting and your disorientation, it might be better to sit back, assess the scene and go at it again.

Shot gun guy:

The shot gun guy HURTS, goes into melee mode as soon as you're close, and takes 4 pistol shots to kill. The way I dispatch them is:

-Try to get them solo

-Come out of hiding and get within 10-15 feet of them, aim, take 2 shots.

-Move in close enough to land a punch but not close enough for him to melee (5 feet?)

-Take another shot.

-Run in and punch.

I find that taking cover while fighting these guys leads to mistakes. If 1-2 other enemies are shooting you from range, just ignore them and take this guy out, they don't do enough damage or have enough accuracy.

Specifics:

When you go down the stairs, there will be 3 enemies that come. Killing will cause additional people to come, and I'm pretty sure after 2-3 kills the shot gun guy will start coming. Get a kill or two and recover. Now it's agility time. Try to kill as many as you can before the shut gun gets there. If you've killed all the ones in the room, you can wait out one more by the door and take him out before the shut gun guys gets down the stairs. I fought around the table in front of the door, and retreated back to the stairs when I had to.

Once the shot gun guy starts coming in, take 2 shots at him. If there's only 1-2 other guys, hide at the back of the room and wait till shot gun guy starts moving towards you. Come out of hiding and either wait for him to come, or move up to him. Once close enough to be able to close and punch, with a direct path, take aim and shoot him again. While he's stunned, punch him. By this point you're probably hurting, so go hide. The hard part is over. If any guys remain, just blind fire point blank and punch them. Try to be careful at this point, it's all downhill from here if you can keep it up.

If you go into the other room the next checkpoint starts and the gate opens. I got to this point twice, and messed it up the first time. If you get to here, you'll have to restart from the main menu rather then checkpoint. At this point there's one more shot gun guy, but he's quite a bit easier. Just lure him towards you. He doesn't seem to come through the door, so just pop him twice from the dead end with the staircase then run up, shoot, and punch. You should be able to do this without anyone else around. Now it's easy, there's 3-4 guys and they're spread out, go finish them off one by one and be patient and accurate.

I shot a guy from behind and broke his neck by accident mid-way through. I'm not sure if it counted but it didn't break my streak. I got the trophy just before the two shot gun guys showed up. I finished them off with the 3 shot punch technique for good measure, so you should have at least 12-13 guys you can kill in the right fashion, and I think there's 3-4 more after as well.

Good luck, keep trying!

i got this trophy on hard difficulty in chapter 2 right after the sequences with chase (charcoal rubbing, etc...) and then the next fight right afterwards (there were only 8 or 9 guys in the initial fight).

you *do not* have to shoot from the hip - this doesn't lessen the damage in any way. you can aim and shoot, just don't aim for their heads. i would just aim, shoot at the chest once, then run right up to the guy as he was staggering and tap the fist prompt. worked every time, but you have to kind of be quick if you're at a bit of a distance.

I did it on chapter 2 on very easy. The part where you first meet chase. I did it in a few tries. I failed miserably in chapter 9 so I looked for a different spot. The shotty guy in Ch 9 kept making me get in swipe fights which messed up my trophy.
The shotgun guys in chapter 9 are actually not a problem. They just need to be shot with 3 quick shots to the chest and then they will stumble for a few seconds like the normal enemies. Thanks to the OP for the tip, chapter 9 worked perfectly for me too :)

• 3 months later...
I did it on chapter 2 on very easy. The part where you first meet chase. I did it in a few tries. I failed miserably in chapter 9 so I looked for a different spot. The shotty guy in Ch 9 kept making me get in swipe fights which messed up my trophy.

Gonna second this. I must have tried Chapter 9 50-60 times and kept getting messed up by the shottie or getting stuck on an object in the tight confines.

Chapter 2, second attempt. Unfortunately, if you mess up the second wave, you have to do the whole chapter again.

• 9 months later...

I don't know why it was never mentioned yet, but if you actually screw up and initiate hand to hand combat with shot gun guy or anyone else, there is no problem at all. Just dont fight, escape the hand to hand combat interface and then repeat the process of one shot and melee kill. Entering hand to hand combat DOES NOT screw the trophy. It is only important how do you kill the guy.

• 1 year later...

I just got steel fist expert, plus grenade kills 30, plus wes 30 kills, possibly the melee trophy too if I didn't have it already; all in chapter 8 when you first get the grenades to use. As well as this I used it as a farming spot for the bounties by exiting the game than continues, rinse and repeat. First what I did was pick up and throw a grenade high level ( aim is to destroy the exploding varela so you don't kill the guys up there by accident. Should be 3 explosion after the grenade) than go forward and a less powerful hand gun will be there on a crate, pick it and run back and facing the way you came go left . There is a alcove. Wait there and let them come to you one by one. R1 than tap punch or square. Keep counting till 8. Last two are high level. Throw a grenade to the far bottom left as you face both of them. One of them should fall down. Either wait in the alcove or run up to him and finish him for 9. The last guy run up under him where he should be above you. I just fired a shot and he got scared and fell down. Alternatively you could throw a grenade and he will jump away and fall down. I tried a few times but got it in the end and all the bounties I got made up for my failed attempts. If you find anything that could improve this method than feel free to add to.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I tried as the guide suggested at the beginning of Chapter 9 on very easy mode with a total of 11 enemies. As a tip for every normal enemy on this difficulty you only need to shoot them once with the pistol and then quickly run to them and press square to do the melee animation. As for the armored enemy I did four shots with the pistol and when seeing them staggered quickly run to them and use the melee. Took awhile to figure it out and thanks to PowerPyx guide video it finally worked.

Edited by triggering999

• 1 month later...

Another vote for chapter 9, it was pretty straight-forward once I learned where the enemies were.

I played on very easy, 1 shot for the regular guys and 3 for the shot-gunners. If they turned their back after being shot I ran around to the front of them.

When the shutter goes up run to the first guy you see, 1 shot and punch, then go down the left-hand stairs to get 3 more guys.

You need to make sure the one guy you're trying to take out isn't near anyone else. I had an instance where I shot a guy, went for the punch and someone how the game had me turn and start fighting a guy who was behind me out of view.

Mind you, I restarted the chapter and quit to the main menu so many times when I messed up that I actually ended up with the Survivor trophy popping heh heh.

Edited by Xorro

• 2 months later...

Edit:

As is the law of trophy-hunting, as soon as you post about a difficult trophy, you will then get the trophy. I originally posted asking for more tips, but then got the trophy 5 minutes later!

Some thoughts instead:

This is one of the more frustrating trophies I've tried for in a long time. I managed to get it on chapter 2/3. Aiming can be easier if you are careful not to get headshots, but I found it took longer while I was under fire and would still accidentally get headshots when the enemy kneeled down last second or something. If you're going to run-and-gun, make sure to watch the enemy closely to make sure there was blood or a staggering animation. If not, you didn't hit him so be careful not to engage. That got me several times.

Part of the problem is that "very easy" mode is not very easy- if you get in the middle of a few guys firing at you you're still going to go down fairly quickly so there isn't always a lot of time to set things up nicely.

I don't know if this counts as a tip, but I had been trying on chapter 2 for quite a long time. I then tried chapter 9 as others suggested but found that more difficult as you're under a heavier concentration of fire and the shotgunners come on strong and can be very difficult to manage. After trying there for a while I switched back to chapter 2 and got it right away. I think it seemed quite a bit easier dealing with enemies without shotguns in more of an open space after chapter 9. Tricked my mind I guess. Do what works for you. I suggest climbing up and taking out the guy on the bridge first.

Anyways, good luck to anyone still trying for this plat!

Edited by HappyChika