in Riverwood *potential spoiler*

CatNZ

it's not storyline related, but I'm putting it in spoiler tags just in case.

[spoiler=info]Was revisiting Riverwood for the heck of it, and suddenly the guards spotted a dragon. it was called the Blood Dragon, but it was using a cold-based shout :confused:

anyway, the dragon was quickly defeated. and everyone went back to their usual business.

it was pretty cool for a random encounter. something people might want to take note of, or try wait around for :)

[spoiler=reply]I've fought multiple Blood Dragons by now. I'm fairly certain they're just a more difficult variant of standard dragons, like how Draugr Wights are stronger than standard Draugr. They're just a bit tougher. I think. I began fighting them at higher levels with better equipment, so it was difficult to tell if they were indeed harder.

ahhh thanks :)

[spoiler=info1]that was the first dragon I killed since the storyline one by Whiterun, which had a unique name I thought? hence why I thought Blood Dragon was that particular dragon ;)

it's good to know Blood Dragon's just a type of them, and I can expect to find more of those. it wasn't that hard at all, apart from being blinded for couple of seconds from staring at its shout :p

silly Alvor died trying to finish it off by melee. I'm reloading the savefile, hoping I can save Alvor's ass this time :D

I'm fairly certain that Bethesda made the way dragons appear similar to the spaceship blowing up in Fallout 3. It is chance, but it's select areas that have the chance rather than just everywhere on map.

And I'm fairly certain Dragons show up regularly by Word Walls. And I think they're automatically spawned at Word Walls that are just open to the environment, like Shearpoint and Autumnwatch Tower. Those two places are the only ones where I've encountered Word Walls actually outside, and both times I had to fight a dragon to get there.

geeze, I thought it was an once-only event, but apparently not?!

encountered them 3 times in a row, whenever I went back there for archery training. it's like a plague :p

First off there must be an impressive collection of dragon skeletons in that town. :D

Secondly, you can get the guy who teaches you archery to join you as a companion so you can get those upgrades for free. You will need to talk to Sven the bard to get the MO and then tell the archer guy about it. You should be able to then ask him to join you at which point you can pay him to up your archery and then trade with him and take all of your money back. I did that to level up my archery to 50 without even firing an arrow.

First off there must be an impressive collection of dragon skeletons in that town. :D

Secondly, you can get the guy who teaches you archery to join you as a companion so you can get those upgrades for free. You will need to talk to Sven the bard to get the MO and then tell the archer guy about it. You should be able to then ask him to join you at which point you can pay him to up your archery and then trade with him and take all of your money back. I did that to level up my archery to 50 without even firing an arrow.

unfortunately those dragon bones decompose & disappear after a while :( it would be a very impressive sight if there is 3 dragon skeletons in that village! :p

and of course I use the "free" archery training :p I believe you can do the same with the female homeless pickpocket trainer in umm, Windhelm I think?