Multiplayer confirmed !

Alex Fly

Yep, it's official now ! The new issue of the magazine PC PowerPlay confirms it !

That’s right - Mass Effect 3 is getting multiplayer! We travel to BioWare’s office in Edmonton for hands-on time with the series’ first foray into online gameplay, and chat with Mass Effect Series Producer and Mass Effect 3 Project Director Casey Hudson about the decision to go multiplayer in the epic battle for the galaxy.

http://i54.tinypic.com/sbhouo.jpg

The full cover here.

Source : PCPP#197 On Sale October 19! | PC PowerPlay Magazine

Say it ain't so. Why is it that every other game out there has multi-player? Co-op for a game like Mass Effect doesn't make sense because you have two saviors of the galaxy in one game when it supposed to be only one.

I just hope the co-op missions are completely separate from the main story missions. And I hope there aren't any missions that required another person to play.

And Bioware better not have shorten the story from 30-40 hours to 15-20 hours just to fit in co-op.

If I want to play a game with friends, I'll play Mario Kart.

In the end, I just hope Mass Effect 3 will be an epic game. In the mean time, I'll be skeptical about the co-op.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/members/darth_chaos007-albums-other-picture23940-skeptical-dog.jpg

Well, according to the new article posted by PS3trophies.org today, it seems the co-op missions (because it seems to be definitely co-op and nothing else as the multiplayer part of the game) will be separated from the single-player campaign :

It also appears that Mass Effect 3's co-op missions will be an entirely separate mode, that will in no way affect the core single-player campaign. Sounds perfectly fine to us. Mass Effect 3 is out on March 6th, 2012.

Good thing, definitely.

Hope some scans or details from this magazine issue will pop on the web soon...

The good thing is that it's co-op and not some stupid versus MP that isn't needed, co-op has the chances of working well and hopefully we see a top notch co-op mode come ME3.

Basically all that's needed to be said... And I'm a post whore so I can't help not posting on this. If the game ends up to have a half-ass MP and less enthusiasm regarding the SP I won't be impressed.

I think it's stupid if they think Mass Effect needs multiplayer. If they just had the desire to add more and fully develop it (rather than just throw on multiplayer in haste without much care if it works well or not), then ok.

And if it's co-op, I can live with it.

This pretty much reflects my opinion.

It seems to me like they're trying to see how a Mass Effect MMO might fair in the future if people enjoy the co op.

And given how good ME's story line has been in the past I very much doubt that they're going to let the epic single player story finale suffer (of course I might just be overly optimistic :D)

Bioware as a company has at least 6 different development studios. A Mass Effect studio, Dragon Age studio, Old Republic studio, Facebook game studio, and 2 others that I don't know what they are working on as they haven't announced anything. More than likely, one of the extra studios was brought on board to help work on the multiplayer aspect of ME3. Not to mention that they moved the ship date from the end of this year to March of next year which means that they made the decision to make the game better and add more polish.

That being said, I don't really want multiplayer. I am going to put my trust in Casey Hudson, game director, who said on twitter that the mutliplayer aspect is not what everyone is fearing.

Bioware as a company has at least 6 different development studios. A Mass Effect studio, Dragon Age studio, Old Republic studio, Facebook game studio, and 2 others that I don't know what they are working on as they haven't announced anything. More than likely, one of the extra studios was brought on board to help work on the multiplayer aspect of ME3. Not to mention that they moved the ship date from the end of this year to March of next year which means that they made the decision to make the game better and add more polish.

That being said, I don't really want multiplayer. I am going to put my trust in Casey Hudson, game director, who said on twitter that the mutliplayer aspect is not what everyone is fearing.

This is my sentiment as well.

Earlier today project director Casey Hudson let us all in on a not-so-well hidden secret: Mass Effect 3 will have multiplayer. We've seen it here and here, but have been missing the that final piece of official statement that was finally delivered earlier today. After Hudson promises of details, we were finally given the full reveal of the modes via the BioWare forums.

The multiplayer facet is a bit of a thick subject. From their description it's a mission based experience that is not required for the single-player, but has some direct effect on the events of the campaign. Teaming up with 3 friends will give players "an alternative method of achieving ultimate victory against the greatest threat mankind – and the entire galaxy – has ever faced."

You'll have your choice of a wide range of classes and races to play as, with the exception of Shepard and his crew. They're all exclusive to single-player. With that in mind, it's not too far of a leap to assume that you can use these multiplayer missions to tackle a particularly difficult section of the campaign. Just a shot in the dark. They're quick to clarify that you're not missing out on any aspect of the campaign by participating in the multiplayer side. It doesn't hinder you to not play it, but it can definitely help you.

Alongside this co-op announcement, BioWare has pulled the sheet off of their Galaxy at War mode which at first glance reminds me of Star Wars: Battlefront 2's Galactic Conquest mode, but only a little bit. Galaxy at War will encompass several different aspects that all affect your last stand against the Reapers. This is quantified in your game's Galactic Readiness. "It is still possible to achieve the optimal, complete ending of the game in Mass Effect 3 through single-player alone," but it seems Galaxy at War will lead to a more fulfilling conclusion as it offers you more direct control of the battle and resources.

Like any good feature announcement, there's a F.A.Q section. As you might expect, the first three questions start with "Why." As a fan of BioWare's solitary ventures however, one question in particular stands out: How did developing multiplayer impact the single-player game?

BioWare is dedicated and focused on delivering an engaging, fun, and action-packed experience for Mass Effect 3, one that lives up the BioWare standard. To reach that level of quality, last year BioWare opened a studio in Montreal that is home to designers, programmers, engineers, and other developers. Both studios work together as partners, lead by the core Mass Effect team, unified in a single vision. Under the direction of Casey Hudson and other team veterans, both studios make contributions to both the single-player and multiplayer modes in Mass Effect 3. Rest assured that no compromises were made to either of these modes in the development of Mass Effect 3.

It's good to know that rather than sacrifice resources to include multiplayer they've increased their resources to accommodate. I always prefer a good single-player game rather than one with an unnecessary co-op component, so a multiplayer announcement always casts a shadow on my excitement. This time around, it wasn't the idea of reallocated money that caused that shadow. No, I'm not sure if makes much difference how money is allocated, I don't like the idea of multiplayer in my Mass Effect. Only time will tell, however, and I'm staying open-minded.

Source: http://www.destructoid.com/bioware-details-mass-effect-3-s-multiplayer-213447.phtml

This is cool. I like this. They seem to really know what they're doing when it comes to this mode. It just goes to show no matter how much care a developer could put into a multiplayer mode and how much they listen to their community, you'll still get tons of people bitching just because of the plain fact that it's there and it must have ruined the single player some way. Typical ignorance, but expected. I personally can't wait to see more.

Edited by Cornagandarub

The 'Galaxy at War' mode actually sounds like fun. I've always been a fan of the Star Wars: Battlefront series.

Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War introduces 'Galactic Readiness'

According this article we get to create a new character for the 'Galaxy at War' mode and we're just not limited to playing as a human. We now have the choice to play as a Krogan, Turian, Asari and more. I've been waiting for the ability to choose the species we want to play as for awhile.

When I first heard they were adding MP to ME3 I wanted to rant and rave about how the game doesn't need it. I still feel it doesn't, but after reading the article on it, I'm interested in their approach toward it. It looks intriguing that's for sure. It'll also be interesting to see what types of trophies (if any at all) there will be for the MP aspect of the game.

Edited by darklingpersona