SotC impact on games

Funny you metion this, I have played Castlevania: LOS and as soon as I popped in Sotc yesterday my eyebrow rose through the roof.

Some boss battles in Castlevania: LoS are almost identical to Sotc. Kind of disappointed me a bit..

Definitely Castlevania. Sure games like God of War had you climbing titans and what not, but it was done in QTE form. Taking down the giants in Castlevania was done in the exact same way as this game :rolleyes:.

The impact probably is that whenever there's a big boss in a game you must get onto in order to defeat it, people will say: "Oh, it copies Shadow Of The Colossus!"

Haha, I said inspire, Not copy. only LoS copied SotC. Actually some of the developers admitted already they had been inspired by SotC. See, even UC series 'copied' ICO using one of the core concepts AI partner.

Haha, I said inspire, Not copy. only LoS copied SotC.

I wasn't really referring to you, though. I just see it way too often in general. There's a big foe somewhere in a game and seven out of ten reviewers will throw in some random line about SotC even if the boss battle plays nothing like any of the colossi and as if SotC was the only or first game to include large enemies.

Haven't played LoS but I have already read it almost directly copies some bosses from SotC, so I'm not denying that.

See, even UC series 'copied' ICO using one of the core concepts AI partner.

In case UC stands for Uncharted, I'm somewhat confused because Uncharted's AI partners were as different from Yorda as imaginable in every aspect. And much closer to AI partners from other games that had AI partners long before ICO existed, so I would strongly disagree that ICO had been an influence in that regard.

(But I'm assuming I just interpreted UC wrong and it stands for something else.)

Shadow of the Colossus was landmark on the whole idea of using scale on bosses. Yeah, the whole titan fight in GOW3 really made me think of SotC.

Was SotC first to use scale this way? Probably not (I don't know of any specific games), but being my first exposure to using scale like this on bosses, it's landmark for me at least. And I do think the concept is used well in SotC.

Which is what it really comes down to: a person's first exposure to this kind of scaling is their landmark, and even if it wasn't chronologically first, it's that person's first so that is what they consider to be the comparison for future titles.

In case UC stands for Uncharted, I'm somewhat confused because Uncharted's AI partners were as different from Yorda as imaginable in every aspect. And much closer to AI partners from other games that had AI partners long before ICO existed, so I would strongly disagree that ICO had been an influence in that regard.

(But I'm assuming I just interpreted UC wrong and it stands for something else.)

Nope, I meant uncharted. I read it somewhere that one of the designers talked about their initial thought on the take of creating UC1. He said the ideas they borrowed (got inspired) was from ICO AI partner. Actually the phrase he (naugty dog) used was " Their projects were influenced greatly by ICO". And soon this proved to be a key success for the series.

AI partners have existed in other games but did not have much of a relation created so much like ICO. I'd say a lot of new gen games got inspired by this ICO innovation. And that's probably why a lot of game designers and those who work in gaming deem ICO one of the greatest game of all time. So is SotC.

I now remember another game NIER which was very much alike (SotC).

Edited by YokA_sun

Shadow of the Colossus was landmark on the whole idea of using scale on bosses. Yeah, the whole titan fight in GOW3 really made me think of SotC.

Was SotC first to use scale this way? Probably not (I don't know of any specific games), but being my first exposure to using scale like this on bosses, it's landmark for me at least. And I do think the concept is used well in SotC.

Which is what it really comes down to: a person's first exposure to this kind of scaling is their landmark, and even if it wasn't chronologically first, it's that person's first so that is what they consider to be the comparison for future titles.

I think what SotC did was to make the boss like a stage itself and to combine puzzles with large scale bosses so you don't just feel the boss is isolated from you the character (In ICO, you interact with a girl. In SotC, you interact with your foe and grab its belly hair). I think no one has done that before SotC (correct me if I am wrong~).

Edited by YokA_sun

I think the impact was minimal at best. Lords of Shadow was really blatant and poor about it, but LBP/LBP2 were really examples of 'here's a big boss with weak points, wait for it to make itself vulnerable' which is something many games have done before.

God of War 3's Titan fight was really just a play off of God of War 2's Titan mountain climb. 2 was passive, 3 was active. Same concept, different approach. Saying they were inspired by what SotC did isn't the best example at all.

Also, the Colossi are pretty stupid, especially the human ones. 'This idiot fly is on my head. What do I do? I know, I'll shake it off even though I could grab it and fling it over the cliffside, or have a snack.'

Nope, I meant uncharted. I read it somewhere that one of the designers talked about their initial thought on the take of creating UC1. He said the ideas they borrowed (got inspired) was from ICO AI partner. Actually the phrase he (naugty dog) used was " Their projects were influenced greatly by ICO". And soon this proved to be a key success for the series.

AI partners have existed in other games but did not have much of a relation created so much like ICO. I'd say a lot of new gen games got inspired by this ICO innovation. And that's probably why a lot of game designers and those who work in gaming deem ICO one of the greatest game of all time. So is SotC.

I now remember another game NIER which was very much alike (SotC).

Hm, then I fail to see the connection. Emotional bond to AI partners, I won't bother to check for examples, but I'm sure that was at least the intention in a lot of cases before. If it works has more to do with how annoying protecting him or her turns out to be and I know some people who actually hate Yorda because of it.

I stand by it, no matter what the devs of Uncharted thought they were doing, the partners in both games so far have been totally different from Yorda in gameplay, character and emotional attachment. If the thought in general merely was to create an emotional bond, well, good for ICO if it was the inspiration there, but honestly, who in their right mind would not want to do so?

As for the rest of the game, combat is obviously far from ICO inspired and climbing or puzzles are pretty much your average action adventure standard, so ICO wouldn't really be "the" inspiration, imho, especially since the puzzles in ICO work slightly differently.

Yes, NIER was kind of similar in a lot of ways, except gameplay, of course, but I can totally see the similarities, but I'd say it's much closer to ICO than it is to SotC save for the "save a beloved" story aspect. (Sort of an overlooked gem, too. ICO only gained fame slowly and even more so when SotC came out. I think the innitial sales weren't that great.)