So what guns would you recommend?

WilHiteWarrior

I haven't played it in such a long time, but I remember the Striker shotgun was really fucking awesome. I'm pretty sure there was also a deal in a certain section of the village where if you shot all the blue medallions hanging on trees, you'd later unlock the Punisher handgun for free at the Merchant.

That gun in the Castle is the Magnum, u need Ashley for it to get over the wall. So lateron u have to backtrack a bit for that.

Which guns depends also on difficulty and playstyle.

But i would upgrade only the damage a bit of the pistol, sell the punisher-hand gun u get by shooting those medals... In the castle, buy the red9 and upgrade it fully when u can, the tmp is nice for quick cheap shots to set up melee hits.

Also dont reload to much after battle, when u see a merchant buy a weapon upgrade and whoop full ammo.

The striker is cool with its 100ammo capacity but i prefer the shotgun , not the wooden one from the beginning but the one sold at the castle.

As for rifles, semi auto is again nice for fast shots, the bolt action is the one i prefer tho.

Save flashbangs dont sell them, as they can instant kill any plagas poppin out there heads, or when u get closed in by like 7guys lol (elevator scene)

Save that magnum for the battle with that midget, i think u know which boss i mean.

Dont want to spoil it directly for others.

Another tip: In the castle there's a rocketlauncher laying in a glass cabinet kind of thing. Its hard to miss really... that 1 rpg killed the right hand of that midget lateron with 1hit.

Without that rpg, the boss battle is pretty tedious as u have not much space. ,the battle goes like, ah there he comes... knocks over the freeze bottle...guy freezes, blam. End of story for him :)

Edited by Scopin-Steve

there was also some kinda gun in a room in the castle that you had to come back to with ashley but i dont remember which gun it was...

That gun in the Castle is the Magnum, u need Ashley for it to get over the wall. So lateron u have to backtrack a bit for that.

Anyone happen to remember which part of the castle this is? I don't think I ever found that one (or I've just forgotten about it). If I know in which area I should be looking for it, I'll see if I can find it later. :)

On my last time used these weapons:

- Blacktail -> common enemies

- Broken Butterfly -> not really needed but was free anyway

- Striker -> group of enemies

- Semi-Auto Rifle -> best weapon imo, Rifle needed for some enemies

- TMP -> Boss killer

Here some tips from me:

- try to always have as less money as possible, enemies drop more money if you have less (based on my exp/feeling)

- don't sell all treasures at once, just sell as much as you need for upgrades

- buy treasure maps, they help a lot and before the first merchant look at all trees for a bird's nest -> missable treasures

- try to use melee fighting as much as possible, shoot Ganados either in the knee or in the head to stun them -> kick them -> then pick some for kniving -> easy kills and less ammo needed

- from the castle onward you can suplex most enemies -> also go for that as it reduces plaga spawn a lot

- use explosive surroundings to your advantage, try to aim for the dynamite instead for the enemy himself (usally killing 2-4 enemies at once)

- don't reload weapons like TMP and Broken Butterfly -> upgrading ammo will refill it, especially magnum ammo is very rare

with these tips you don't need many upgrades, I used a lot money on upgrades and my weapons were worth ~ 800k (3 of them being maxed out and I even bought Red9 before Blacktail). So if you really want to save money, just skip Blacktail and go for Red9 instead. Also don't buy the TMP and normal Rifle and keep you found shotgun until you can buy the striker. There is no need to upgrade the shotgun, only use it for groups and then quickly change to another weapon again.

For early Boss fights you can also use the gun, works pretty good. It takes more time but Boss fights are in general easy in this game.

Enjoy the game, it is great. I am still not if I will get it as I have played it so many times already :)

It's in chapter 4.1 , check this vid around 3:24 ,its near that fountain.

Sorry for the poor quality, its easier to show u with a vid tho :)

Ah, thank you. It's been a while since I last played the game, so I certainly don't remember much of the castle's layout. But now I know where to look.

It will be a lot of fun playing this game again now as I have forgotten quite a few things after all this time; it's like playing a semi-new game. But a free Magnum is too good to pass up, wouldn't want to miss that one. ;)

Now if they'd just hurry up and get the game on EU PSN.

<Edit> There it is! The master of uploading has put the game on PSN, now it's time for a RE4 sandwich.

Edited by Xernova

I'll be playing the game with only:

• Red9
  • Shotgun (Striker when I get it late game)
  • Semi-auto Rifle

I never went and grabbed the machine guns or special weapons when I played this on the Wii, so I'll be planning to play the same way this time around :D. I'll have to give the magnums a try on my Professional run.

My loadout was always

Punisher - Break all 15 Medallions before talking to the Merchant and he'll give you the first firepower upgrade for free. I use it because going through the wood shields enemies have is fun.

TMP - When you get all firepower and eventually the special upgrade, it annihilates bosses. When it's not boss killing it's a great backup weapon, shield eater, crowd control, overall badass gun.

Semi-Auto Rifle - It doesn't pack as much of a punch as the bolt-action rifle but it allows for faster firing which I prefer.

Riotgun - A more powerful version of the Shotgun, the Striker doesn't interest me so I roll with this.

Broken Butterfly - You get it for free so why not? It's powerful and helps kill bosses.

You shouldn't really care about saving money for this game.

I bought every single weapon except the mine thrower.

I just sold the old weapon (even upgraded) when a new one come available.

At the end of the game, I got:

Red9 fully upgraded

TMP fully upgraded

SA Rifle fully upgrades except ultimate upgrade

Striker fully upgraded except ammo

Killer7 damage and reload time maxed.

So, you don't really need to save money.

Edited by Foxie

My load out is usually:

Punisher: Its good fire power and penetration makes it great for your default weapon. Great against the shield guys and headshotting 3 zombies in a row.

Shotgun: I just used the shotgun you found. I just use it for Crowd Control and against the stronger zombies.

Semi-auto Rifle: I used this usually for the specific enemies that need the thermal scope and for the catapults.

Broken Butterfly: Boss Fights and anything else that I wanted dead fast.

If you want money for the 2nd run, just sell anything you don't need. I actually just beat professional using the mag and rocket launchers. You may not even need the mag if you use the one thing that I don't wanna spoil if you haven't played this already. :D

Good luck and enjoy your Chicago Typewriter!

I usually use...

Blacktail: Good firepower, fast reloading, fast shooting. Takes up six slots as opposed to the Red9 and its stock.

Striker: No competition here. Has the most ammo and highest firepower.

Semi-auto Rifle: Might not be as much firepower, but it's faster.

Broken Butterfly: Up to 50 firepower. Better than the Killer7.

I never get the TMP, it's useless.

... I never get the TMP, it's useless.

How can you say such horrible things? Nah I'm joking, it's not useless but you do need to get the firepower to at least 1.0 before it can start destroying things and then the special upgrade for it to be crazy special. But even in the early game it can take down a Gigante easily and is a good substitute if your handgun ammo starts drying up.

Can't believe nobody has suggested the Red9!?

That was my favorite, non unlockable, gun in the game.

That gun i can assure you will be your carrier throughout the whole game. Medium ammo capacity and a whopping high firepower when fully upgraded.

I think also(people might kill me for this) keeping the bolt action rifle all through the way is a good idea. I mean yeah, i know it's pretty slow but i think the pay off here is the whopping high firepower(30 i think) it has. That's for the rifle, you need to line up your shots though as it goes through ganados very well.

For shotguns. I think i do remember keeping the ordinary shotgun. Primary upgrade for it was range, it had better range when you fully upgraded it. The striker was good for close range encounters as it had really high capacity(100) when fully upgraded and the riot gun, can't really remember what it was it's full potential.

For the magnum I find that killer 7 is the best when it comes to rate of fire and reload, and broken butterfly for class and firepower. I really love firepower(as you can see on my whole post :francis:) and broken butterfly was really useful when you were fighting with the thing in the mines. The best thing about it was it did knock back on this boss. And i really loved the whole idea and i kept it. And yes, you have to backtrack to that room when you see it and when you get ashley, you should use BB to your advantage here. Oh and exclusive upgrade seems to put the weapons firepower on 50 by the way.

As for all other guns, i think it really just depends on your playthrough, some honorable mentions are blacktail(handgun), the starting handgun(handgun) which has more crit on head shots and the rocket launcher(which was a game breaker on key points of the game).

Here are some images on how to convince you to stick with these babies :p

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090512090821/residentevil/images/thumb/9/9d/Mauser.jpg/589px-Mauser.jpg

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090512085851/residentevil/images/thumb/4/4f/M1903.jpg/589px-M1903.jpg

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090503131549/residentevil/images/thumb/b/b5/6_shooter.jpg/589px-6_shooter.jpg

Spending money on too much uneeded guns are also a good piece of advice. Don't buy every weapon you see and keep only ONE weapon on each tier. Handgun for normal ganados or switch to the shotgun if it gets crowded. For special mini bosses and bosses use a free rocket launcher(especially on verdugo) as he really takes a beating even with the canister dropped.

Always try and look for treasure, some good starters are combining certain items like the butterfly lamps and the three eyes, the crown jewel and the crown and the beer mug and cat eyes. As adding the components of the non combined item yields less than an item combined. Also check everywhere for spinels and emeralds. They are everywhere.

That's about all the advice i can give, i loved this game on the ps2 and this is the only game i can play and have played for the duration that i didn't have a ps3 in the uk(atleast a year and a half). So yeah :D My advice ain't gospel and if you think you can do better, you can follow your playthrough.