New to the Series

So I picked this game up today bc I love STRPGs. I've never played a disgaea game before so I'm waiting to play this until I beat Resistance 3 hoping there will be at least some sort of basic guide. If there's not though can anyone give me basics to go about playing and plat the game

Basically you want to get to the post game as quickly as possible in these games and get stronger. There are individual trophies for watching certain character's epilogues but you can do that with a separate save file before the final boss, fulfilling requirements for one end, and reload it for the next one. You will also most likely need a second playthrough (new game plus is a breeze) to get the God ending or whatever it's called, unless you grind to reach level 500 before the final boss. Leveling up is insanely easy in the post game and land of carnage though. You can hit level 9999 in about an hour or less in prior iterations of this series.

In order to get stronger don't bother lingering in one area or one set of items too long. Any time you get a stronger item jump into it's item world (will be explained in game) and just keep repeating that until you reach the top tier items and weapons. There is a hell of a lot to do in this game, and I'm kind of paring down my explanations because it's going to get too lengthy, but quick advice is just to advance your equipment at every opportunity.

Also, buy everything you don't have, there are collection trophies in this game for just about everything. All items (weapons, armor, consumables, everything really) all pirate parts (explained in game also) and attack animations. You will also need to grind the character classes as well. Every character class has 6 tiers that are unlocked by using them and reaching a certain level. There are trophies for unlocking all classes and tiers, so that might take a bit.

...I love STRPGs ... I've never played a disgaea game before

... what ?!

It's the crown jewel of at least the JSRPGs, game mechanic wise, the humor and story aren't for everyone, I personally love them.

I haven't played 4 yet but since they became rather more complex with the years, you're in for some deep stuff. When non gamers ask me what Disgaea is like, I always describe it as chess in 5 dimensions, their puzzled face fits the game well.

I wouldn't rush through the story, there's no hurry unless you want to maximise your characters asap but I'd rather enjoy the first playthrough and worry about the rest in post-game. The basics are pretty straight forward and there should be in-game tutorials to get you started but maximising your items and characters and unlocking everything, a guide is certainly recommended if you're a newcomer.

Keep your eyes peeled here for guides: Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten FAQs, Walkthroughs, and Guides for PlayStation 3 - GameFAQs