"Reign Over Me"

Anybody seen this movie? It's an Adam Sandler drama from a couple years ago. Pretty decent film. Trust me, there's a reason I bring this up.

[spoiler=sandler]Basic plot is that Adam Sandler loses his family (wife and 1 or 2 kids-don't remember) in the WTC on 9/11. It focuses on how he can't cope with the loss. He becomes a shut-in and the only things that get him through it is he is CONSTANTLY remodeling his bathroom and he spends almost all his nights playing Shadow of the Colossus.

Check it out if you want. It's not great, but it's pretty good. Sandler does a real good job in a serious role. And..... SotC! And..... Liv Tyler is in it. :woop:

Edited by Johnny Bananas

[spoiler=00259583]I loved this movie a lot. It also makes me want to go out and play this game every time I even think about it. One little think is that he isn't remodeling his bathroom, it is his kitchen that his wife wanted to get done before she died.

Edited by Johnny Bananas

[spoiler=0939828]I loved this movie a lot. It also makes me want to go out and play this game every time I even think about it. One little think is that he isn't remodeling his bathroom, it is his kitchen that his wife wanted to get done before she died.

I know the feeling! And yeah, it's been a year or two since I have watched it. Forgot it was the kitchen. I think I'm gonna rewatch this tonight.

Edited by Johnny Bananas

[spoiler=23085234]I liked the film from the perspective of an Adam Sandler fan. It was interesting to see a serious role for him and see it pulled off fairly well. Don Cheadle was also very good, though as you would expect, although he and Sandler practiced playing Shadow of the Colossus for the film (and got quite good I read), Cheadle doesn't play games.

I also hear contrasting ideas about the meaning of the game in the film. Some just view it as this game Sandler's character likes playing and it's just one of his ways of "coping" and all that, whatever you want to read into it.

Others feel that there's a correlation between the colossi and the whole Twin Towers thing (because his family died in the 9/11 tragedy) or just tall buildings in general, and there's some... emotional or psychological aspect there.

I'm not sure which I subscribe to, but it was interesting that there didn't seem to be a general consensus (at least from what I saw).

Edited by Johnny Bananas

Not sure why it needed spoiler tags. :confused: What I wrote was what you would read on the DVD box or see in the trailer. The first sentence on the back of my blu-ray says that he has lost his family suddenly.

But, whatever. Hopefully a few people give this movie a shot - if only to see Billy Madison taking down a colossi!

• 3 weeks later...