Rumor: Mass Effect 3 to feature 4-player co-op, plus other news

EEHHHHHH

Well, this has been speculated tons of times before, and this time again, two sources are reporting the existence of a standalone, co-op play that is similar to Gears' Horde mode.

Mass Effect 3 is strongly rumoured to feature a four-player co-op mode.

Eurogamer understands this four-player, online-enabled co-op mode is "standalone" and features "competitive elements".

The co-op component is said to not compromise the single-player portion of the game.

Current reports suggest Mass Effect 3's multiplayer is a Horde-style mode, which challenges players to shoot-to-kill waves of enemies.

A separate source has told Eurogamer that BioWare Montreal was creating a multiplayer Mass Effect experience, either as a standalone game or component of Mass Effect 3.

Is this still the case?

At E3 last week Eurogamer asked BioWare if Mass Effect 3 has four-player co-op.

"We haven't talked at all about multiplayer in the Mass Effect franchise, but we're exploring multiplayer in all of our games and all of our franchises," BioWare co-founder Ray Muzyka told Eurogamer.

"It's always an idea we're interested in.

"The short answer is we have no comment on that. But we're interested in the idea of multiplayer."

Last month EA announced that Mass Effect 3 was delayed to early 2012.

"The development team is laser focused on making sure Mass Effect 3 is the biggest, boldest and best game in the series, ensuring that it exceeds everyone's expectations," said executive producer Casey Hudson at the time.

Eurogamer

A reliable development source has informed CVG that the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer feature will be built around "original missions made for online", which will be totally unique from the solo campaign.

Our mole added there would "only be a handful" of co-op missions which have been created with the intention of being "played and played again".

Reports have suggested that the online offering will come in the form of a Horde-style mode, but our source was quick to play down the notion.

Bioware's Montreal studio is said to be behind the co-op side, and was seen to be recruiting for "multiplayer" staff last year.

"Mainstream penetration is a major goal for Mass Effect 3 and those high up feel online co-op is the answer they're looking for," our source said. "EA's keen to push the multiplayer side of the game to help spread word of mouth - so it's not just going to rehash stuff from the campaign. It's going all out."

Officially BioWare's refusing to confirm the Mass Effect 3 online antics, but when pressed on the matter last week, co-founder Ray Muzyka told CVG that the studio is "exploring" multiplayer for all of its games.

CVG

Also, some major spoilers from the floors of E3:

[spoiler=pinkveggie]Mass Effect 3 - Cerberus Now Works With the Reapers

Here’s a list of major decisions that will affect your playthrough in Mass Effect 3

• The Rachni (Exterminate or Release) – If you spared them in Mass Effect 1, they can be recruited as an ally against the Reapers.

• Cerberus and the Collector base (Destroy or Preserve) – Giving the Collector base to Cerberus means you have just aided an enemy who wants you dead.

• Mordin and the Genophage cure (Save or Erase) – The genophage could be stopped if you took the data from Mordin’s loyalty mission.

• Wrex (Persuade or Kill) – If you let Wrex live, he’ll still be working to unite his people.

• Legion and the rogue Geth (Destroy or Convert) – If you chose to reprogram the Geth in Legion’s loyalty mission, those Geth will rejoin the collective and make the Geth even stronger.

Read more...

Sigh, here goes the multiplayer shit.

Well, good news in the spoilers though.

[spoiler=345564563]Cerberus is working for the Reapers. Why am I not surprised? Ah, yes, that's why: "Once a degenerate - always a degenerate". I wonder how those that kept and gave the Collector's base to TIM will react to this news *trollface*

Bloated pregnant asari husk. Grossness.

The most important question is still unanswered though: will we be able to air qoute the turian councillor?

Edited by Johnny Bananas
Use spoiler tags

I am 50/50 on this. I think they should focus on getting the single player portion of the game done and polished really well and shipped on March 6, 2012. They could add the multiplayer if they were thinking about it as a free add-on. Plus this would be the first time ME would be some part of a multiplayer and they would have to make it flawless.

• 1 month later...

I hope this is nothing more than a rumor. Too many franchises are being pressured into including this just to hope it increases the sales. (Bioshock 2 and Dead Space 2 being examples) If the franchise is single-player, leave it as a single-player. (ex. Batman: Arkham City) I have felt the time it takes to include this feature they could implement easter eggs or unlockables into the game to whet the fans a bit more.

• 2 weeks later...

I think co-op is awesome and it is much more fun to play with others than by yourself in single player. I am so looking forward to this game and I sure hope the delay is just to make it that much better!

PS. I really don't appreciate the spoilers (without tags) in the thread and you should really think about what you post for those that don't want a future story ruined. :mad:

• 2 weeks later...
I think co-op is awesome and it is much more fun to play with others than by yourself in single player. I am so looking forward to this game and I sure hope the delay is just to make it that much better!

PS. I really don't appreciate the spoilers (without tags) in the thread and you should really think about what you post for those that don't want a future story ruined. :mad:

========================================

While i do agree that some games co-op is fun to play with others, SP Role playing games are not those type games as far as i'm concerned.