How to succeed online?

SupervirgiN

Hey guys,

I just started the World Tour with my custom player and I'm getting completely smashed. Every player I've faced has had extremely high serve and FH/BH stats, so I get aced every serve and outplayed every rally.

I'm looking for tips on how I can most efficiently customize the stats on my player. I just started the game and I feel like I spread my XP too thinly. Also, how am I supposed to return those wide/down the line monster serves? I can't react quickly enough.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Make sure you spend enough time playing offline games to have a best feel of the game. This game is all about timing your shot. My suggestion is that try aiming your shots no matter return or rally all in 'perfect' timing. The mechanism of the game is that the power and angle accuracy is hugely affected/determined by your timing. With you giving out a non-perfect shot, the opponent can always beat you with a perfect shot.. I know I said perfect too much lol, but that's how it is important. Of course placing your player in the best opposition is also important. (that said, Lvl20 is recommended. the stats is NOT what matters, unless you want to focus on your serve only. my experience)

Edited by YokA_sun

Make sure you spend enough time playing offline games to have a best feel of the game. This game is all about timing your shot. My suggestion is that try aiming your shots no matter return or rally all in 'perfect' timing. The mechanism of the game is that the power and angle accuracy is hugely affected/determined by your timing. With you giving out a non-perfect shot, the opponent can always beat you with a perfect shot.. I know I said perfect too much lol, but that's how it is important. Of course placing your player in the best opposition is also important. (that said, Lvl20 is recommended. the stats is NOT what matters, unless you want to focus on your serve only. my experience)

Thanks for the advice. I love the offline and do pretty well. The Grand Slam semifinals and finals get much tougher, though.

The online multiplayer is somewhat of a joke. I have had some pretty good matches, but also some extremely frustrating one-sided battles. For example, yesterday I played a character with a 98 serve and a 100 strength. There was absolutely no way to break her service game (that I know of). I had to spam O to return her 120mph (kmh?) serves, BUT she would sometimes mix in a few weak serves, as well. Because of my necessary spamming to return the monster serves, I would return the weak ones too soon and she would just rocket those back in the other direction. It's so ridiculous.

If you have any advice to counter serve/strength and serve/volley stat whores, please let me know.

Edited by SupervirgiN

Thanks for the advice. I love the offline and do pretty well. The Grand Slam semifinals and finals get much tougher, though.

The online multiplayer is somewhat of a joke. I have had some pretty good matches, but also some extremely frustrating one-sided battles. For example, yesterday I played a character with a 98 serve and a 100 strength. There was absolutely no way to break her service game (that I know of). I had to spam O to return her 120mph (kmh?) serves, BUT she would sometimes mix in a few weak serves, as well. Because of my necessary spamming to return the monster serves, I would return the weak ones too soon and she would just rocket those back in the other direction. It's so ridiculous.

If you have any advice to counter serve/strength and serve/volley stat whores, please let me know.

I think there are some players online who focus on service games going for serve stats. Because it is very time efficiet and easy fast (you gotta be really awesome at serving though usually those whores are good players. Thank god 2k weakened that). The way of beating them is again using perfect shots. Timing your shots and make good anticipations just like returning services playing real tennis.

For monster serves, release the button very early sometimes instantly after opponent serves the point. I have not played many players who have really good serves while changing their paces like that. Most of the big servers go for straight monster serves only. When I face those serve whores, I will see how he/she does in my service game. If he/she is that good beating me in my service game. well....:whistle: I guess your opponent is a good smart player but sure not every one plays like that, ~:o) know it's hard tricky, just focus on the moment right at she serves, need some good reflexes lol. maybe it takes 2 some guesses, if you guess it right when she does weak serves, you will win the point easily.

I don't know any shotcuts maybe others have some better experiences.

I have a lot of trouble beating those players too. I really hate that 2K let players be developed to those outrageous levels.

The suggestion I would have on returning serve is to use a control shot. I'm not sure how you are doing it now. While I was playing offline, I had a tendency to return against the AI players with power shots (holding the button down until releasing to return). With the super servers, a control shot seems to be the best bet for me, plus that helps a lot when it comes to those servers who use the outwide serves.

Also, at one point with some experimenting, came across something that helped with those super servers. It's been too long now, because I rarely play World Tour since I usually get 1 match for every 1 hour of attempting to get into one. So, I don't really remember how to do it...just keep experimenting, I'd say. Seems like it was taking a few steps back from the baseline and returning deep with a top spin shot. It would be a crappy looking service return that wasn't going to win you any cheap points, but I just remember the end result was the ball kicked up too high for the server to do much with it.

For now though, unless 2K does something with the servers, I've given up on trying for a Grand Slam or the Direct Matches. Which really sucks since that was all I needed before getting the Plat.

Edited by gibbga

Thanks for the all the great advice, guys. Is it possible to win matches against good players with just the control shot? Sometimes I finding myself hitting a lot of normal shots because I'm on the run so much.

Btw, gibbga, you should get back into World Tour mode. Since the firmware update, it's been a lot smoother. Had 6 people in my lobby just now! Edit: Nvm, it still sucks.

Yeah, I really suck. I'm terrible at breaking serves. Whenever I get a wide one, I'm so out of position to get back quickly enough to hit the next one.

Edited by SupervirgiN

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...