Rumor: Mass Effect 3 may support Kinect

StormVongola

http://fastcache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2011/06/mass_effect_3_kinect.jpg

Looks like Commander Shepard may be taking Microsoft's motion controller into battle in Mass Effect 3. How do we know? Because the box art for the Xbox 360 version of the game claims this Mass Effect will be "better" with Kinect.

That heretofore unseen artwork was uploaded to EA's online store earlier today, then swapped out with something less feature-revealing. (Incidentally, the Kinect branded one is still up here when we published.) Kinect support for Mass Effect 3 is not a bullet point we've heard officially from Electronic Arts or BioWare, but it's looking like optional motion or voice control is due to be announced soon, likely at E3 2011.

Mass Effect 3 isn't the only game rumored to feature unexpected Kinect support. Last week, box art for Ubisoft's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier boasted the same "better with Kinect" branding.

EA recently announced a delay to Mass Effect 3, which is now expected in early 2012. At the time, CEO John Riccitiello explained that BioWare was "adjusting some of the gameplay mechanics and some of the features that you'll see at E3 that can put this into a genre equivalent of shooter meets RPG."

Last year, BioWare's Greg Zeschuk told GamesIndustry.biz said the company was looking at motion control in terms of how it could fit with Mass Effect.

"What can we actually do in a game like Mass Effect? Can we create a greater sense of immersion during conversations by using gestures?" Zeschuk said. "I think we probably could and I think that's where we'll explore. We're not going to do a party game, we're not going to do Dance Dance Krogan for Mass Effect. The reality is it's going to have a really positive impact."

"There's that impediment of a controller but hardcore gamers are never going to give that up. It might be nice to see a hybrid of a controller used with additional gesture on the side for immersive elements. So we'll see it go from family entertainment and then broaden out."

We're checking in with EA and BioWare to see if they'd like to randomly announce it now, but it's looking like a very good possibility. At the very least, we're going to get some interesting sex scenes out of Mass Effect 3 and probably even more fascinating mainstream media coverage of it.

Source:

Will Mass Effect 3 Really Be 'Better With Kinect'?

I don't really know how will that work. :think:

I don't really know how will that work. :think:

Probably not well :rolleyes:

Idk, if this is true then I'm a little interested to see how they plan on implementing it but I really don't see this happening. I just have a hard time believing they would choose to add this semi-ridiculous element to the final game of the trilogy when it's supposed to be an epic, suspenseful end of the world event. I don't really think people will want to be waving their arms around like idiots to make a decision that could wipe out entire planets.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I really hope they don't make this MOVE-compatible like they did with Killzone 3.

Worst idea ever, since those things cost like $30 each. And what if you there's an akimbo mod for guns? If you're playing split-screen with someone else you'll need four of those controllers potentially.

I doubt they would do that. It would have already been mentioned if they had. The only thing that Kinect involves is the voice commands. Nothing really with shooting.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It is not a rumor it is a fact the ME3 does works better with the kinect. If you go to bioware.com and click on games and then click on ME3 it has a video explaining how the kinect is better with ME3. It works better with the command, meaning you can just say what you want to do and your character will do it. that sound better to me and I have a kinect YAY!

I think they also have a video on you tube to help you answer your questions or you can just google it.