What's the Best Playstyle?

luvtoseek

Hi alls, just borrowed this game from a friend. I love tennis & I was wondering which playstyle in this game would give me the greatest advantage against the cpu in the career mode?

I know, I know "it depends on how you like to play..." but sometimes the stats are off in tennis games (how in VT, *I forgot which one* David Ferrer was better than Nadal & Fed ).

Thoughts on how I should mold my character's playstyle?

It depends which difficulty you play on . But I like to play as a mixture between defence and offence. You know you can get to level 20 very quickly and than you can build a player with max stats so you can really experiment with stats. If your going to play on very hard I would go for a powerful player as the ai plays very aggressive once you start reaching slam finals and it's almost impossible to play defence and win.

It depends which difficulty you play on . But I like to play as a mixture between defence and offence. You know you can get to level 20 very quickly and than you can build a player with max stats so you can really experiment with stats. If your going to play on very hard I would go for a powerful player as the ai plays very aggressive once you start reaching slam finals and it's almost impossible to play defence and win.

Buddy, that's great advice! :) I'm going to play on Easy or if there's a Very Easy.

What about Online? You make alot of good posts about tennis/tennis gaming technique, tennisman, is there a particular over-powered build for Online play? IMO, the serve & volley stat is over-rated as if you have a strong fore & back hand, & is a fast player, you can put the opponent on the defensive & come towards the net for an ugly (tho effective) finish.

But I'm just guessing here as I've yet to do anything (just doing some exhibition doubles w/ a friend @ home) w/ my custom character.

Finally, does the physical stature of the character have any gameplay significance?

• 2 weeks later...
Buddy, that's great advice! :) I'm going to play on Easy or if there's a Very Easy.

What about Online? You make alot of good posts about tennis/tennis gaming technique, tennisman, is there a particular over-powered build for Online play? IMO, the serve & volley stat is over-rated as if you have a strong fore & back hand, & is a fast player, you can put the opponent on the defensive & come towards the net for an ugly (tho effective) finish.

But I'm just guessing here as I've yet to do anything (just doing some exhibition doubles w/ a friend @ home) w/ my custom character.

Finally, does the physical stature of the character have any gameplay significance?

:) Hey sorry for the late reply. For online I would make a very powerful player go for level 20 offensive player and try to get a coach with high power stats. I don't really like this player build but so many people use it and it can be frustrating losing to a power play so I found using a power player yourself can make online easier. Also I recommend playing a season or 2 on very hard and try to win a GrandSlam on very hard is difficult as it will make you improve which will help you online. Also when you come up against big servers online try to tap O for returning serve as this seems to take away the power from there serve and can give you the upper hand in the rally :)

The style you mentioned can be very affective especially online I try to come into the net whenever I have the chance lol.

Interesting question , I have heard a really tall player can return almost every shot i'm not sure if that's true though . On Top Spin 3 I made a tall and fat player hoping I would get extra power but I just ended up slow lol

Well i play defensive and for me it's not bad....

My forehand is 90, and backhand is 75...

Speed is 72, Stamina is 81 and serve 76...

I found a coach that gives me +15 forehand, +15 backhand

+7 stamina, +7 speed and +5 serve......

And only player i can win is Federer.....:D

I played him 5 times i GRAND SLAM finals and lost all 5 :p

I played Djokovic 7 times, and he won me 4 times.....

Against all other opponents i have positive score.......

:) Hey sorry for the late reply.

Hehe, you are FORGIVEN! :D

Also when you come up against big servers online try to tap O for returning serve as this seems to take away the power from there serve and can give you the upper hand in the rally :)

Great tip! I've noticed that in single player, I've made better serve returns by using the control shot then the charged up power shot.

Interesting question, I have heard a really tall player can return almost every shot i'm not sure if that's true though.

I really do believe that in Top Spin 4, a taller character will at least thwart most lobs from the opponent. IDK, taller players in theory will move slower among other things than shorter, more balanced players like Chang or Hewitt. I guess this is still unclear @ this point...:think: