Sharks in the water...

Delta64

Start playing free flight for a while so you increase your accuracy of the rocket pods. Before the game starts you have to put the gunner time to 4. This means that the gunner will engage a target after looking at it for 4 seconds. And enable the gunturret in zoom option so you can use the cannon as well.

When the game starts shoot every boat in the harbor with the rocket pods and let the gunner shoot some targets and don't use the hellfires. When you can fly over to the oilrigs shoot out all your rockets so you get a fresh bunch.

When you arrive at the oil rigs shoot every boat with rockets again. After you kill them the seals will evacuate the rig so you have to defend. Now attack the first waves with your rockets again until the big waves start coming. Now it's necessary to attack one wave with rockets and shoot the other wave that is closest to the rig with hellfires. This will buy some time to fly over to the third wave and kill them. Then kill the last boats (I thought there were 4 big waves of enemies) and then use the reloaded hellfires on the boats that are defending the catamaran.

It took me some time to get this, but the free flight option helped me a lot with getting my accuracy up so I could shoot boats from far away with rockets. Hope this helps a bit.

TheMerovingian is absolutely right, but let me add a little to it to help you out with a specific scenario that will help you greatly.

Free Flight: (Follow this checklist)

• Area: Lualia, The Xiddhan Bay
  • Difficulty: Realistic (I recommend training though so you can get a feel for rocket accuracy)
  • Ground Units: Hostile
  • Weather: Clear (As it is with the mission you're on)
  • Time: Day (See Above)
  • Altitude: 500
  • Number of Allies: 0
  • Helicopter: Apache AH-1
  • Weapons: 76 RKT / 4 ATA / C

The point of the 76 RKTs is for practice instead for realism of the level, but to get practice with rockets first. The level you're on relies greatly on using the rockets you have and the missiles for when some slip past you. Also, try to stay hovering around the platform when you can. Do not chase the enemy to far out into sea because the appearance of the ships is sudden and not gradual (a slight deviation from realism, but... yeah).

The Free Flight mission will set you against boats around an oil platform. They won't be moving towards you, but it will help you practice against boats in awkward angles.

Edited by BFenris

• 2 weeks later...

This is by far the hardest mission.

1. Do not stray far from the oil rig. Do not chase any target.

2. Use the R1(rockets) freely. Do not worry about aiming, just let loose.

3. Keep you Helo in position for your AI gunner to shoot some of the targets.

Basically fly in a tight circle around the rig, and do not stray to far.

Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

lol my strategy is the best imo...(for training difficulty only)

once you reach the oil rig take out the first few pirate boats with regular missiles and gunfire, and when it starts getting a bit crazy use the lock on hellfire missles (flying back and forth across the oil rig), you will want to use the lock on method, as in, not in the gunner view aiming them, but pressing X to switch between the boats and fire them off... once you lock on and fire off at the targets out in the distance just immediately turn and go in the other direction and look for the next set off in the distance.

once you run out of hellfire missiles you have two options depending on what is going down at the time, if they are close to the oil rig and firing then crash your chopper into the ocean and when you respawn immediately lock on and fire away another 8 hellfires. (it always respawned me close enough that i could instantly lock on and fire away) and you get 4 retries, or 5 i cant remember if it counts 0, but thats at LEAST 32 hellfire missles. one hellfire takes less than a second to lock on fire and switch to the next target and its a one shot kill on the pirate boats. if you have free time to fly around and they arent being engaged/attack at the rig try to take some out with just regular missles/gunfire.

I had failed the mission like 3 or 4 times trying to just defend them with gunfire and regular missiles and decided to try it this way and beat it on the first try. Finally, if you run out of retries (which i didnt, i still had one remaining) then try to use your regular missiles and gun (Not switching to gunner view but using the front end gun) and keep the chopper steady, as your A.I. gunner will actually take out some of the pirates himself if you keep your chopper steady, at least he destroyed a few for me anyhow.

once you get past the oil rig part its really easy sailing, you just have to take out one last group of incoming pirates, and it was pretty easy to do with regular missles as they were all going in a straight line towards you.

good luck.

Edited by zer0tobackdown

• 4 months later...
lol my strategy is the best imo...(for training difficulty only)

once you reach the oil rig take out the first few pirate boats with regular missiles and gunfire, and when it starts getting a bit crazy use the lock on hellfire missles (flying back and forth across the oil rig), you will want to use the lock on method, as in, not in the gunner view aiming them, but pressing X to switch between the boats and fire them off... once you lock on and fire off at the targets out in the distance just immediately turn and go in the other direction and look for the next set off in the distance.

once you run out of hellfire missiles you have two options depending on what is going down at the time, if they are close to the oil rig and firing then crash your chopper into the ocean and when you respawn immediately lock on and fire away another 8 hellfires. (it always respawned me close enough that i could instantly lock on and fire away) and you get 4 retries, or 5 i cant remember if it counts 0, but thats at LEAST 32 hellfire missles. one hellfire takes less than a second to lock on fire and switch to the next target and its a one shot kill on the pirate boats. if you have free time to fly around and they arent being engaged/attack at the rig try to take some out with just regular missles/gunfire.

I had failed the mission like 3 or 4 times trying to just defend them with gunfire and regular missiles and decided to try it this way and beat it on the first try. Finally, if you run out of retries (which i didnt, i still had one remaining) then try to use your regular missiles and gun (Not switching to gunner view but using the front end gun) and keep the chopper steady, as your A.I. gunner will actually take out some of the pirates himself if you keep your chopper steady, at least he destroyed a few for me anyhow.

once you get past the oil rig part its really easy sailing, you just have to take out one last group of incoming pirates, and it was pretty easy to do with regular missles as they were all going in a straight line towards you.

good luck.

how is this info going to help you get the silver trophy to get platinum???

my problem isnt the aiming its the flying also...im all over the place and sometimes the fucker doesnt want to turn... idk how many times i was doing awesome only for my helio to get stuck out at sea and i couldnt get back quick enough... i really want to beat this mission now as if i cant beat that one i might as well forget it:(

• 2 weeks later...