Extra mission 9 problem

Hey everyone. I'm having a really annoying issue with Extra mission 9. More specifically trying to unlock the "Destroyer trophy". I've gone through the mission 2 times so far and I keep getting a kill score of 999.. I don't quite know how that's possible, but I just cant seem to get the 1000 kills for unlocking the trophy.

Any ideas as to what may be happening?

After earning 999 kills the final spawn should show up. It's a big enemy ship that continuously spawns enemies but only the ship will count for the 1000th kill... at least that's it if I remember correctly.

Yeah, I know. I've done all of that several times and it never worked. At any case I got the trophy now after doing a few things, and after 4 tries (4000 unnecessary kills -_-)

I'm not sure what was wrong, but after I shut off my PS3 for a while and installed it to my HDD, I managed to get the 1000 kills on my 4th try. Maybe one of Nineball's weapons can cause this to happen? because on my first 3 tries, I used his tension attacks that dispense those little drones that roam around and kill enemies for you. On my 4th try, I made it a point to never use those attacks and I got the trophy.