Member of the Month - January 2016

Aeirou

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/news/MotM.png

It's finally 2016 and we're already a month into another year on PST. As always, the staff wanted to take the time to recognize another invaluable member of the community. I hope plenty of you recognize the name as you've made your way through games like Middle-Earth: Shadows of Mordor DLC, Lords of the Fallen, and Dragon Quest Heroes. While his guide writing skills are always on display, this member also likes to fly under the radar.

So without further ado, I am happy to award scharn73 as this year's first Member of the Month!

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/news/blueline.png

Can you tell us a bit more about the person behind the PSN ID?

I am an avid gamer (obviously) who primarily uses games as a stress outlet. I find "neat", "in order", and "completed tasks" to be calming. As such, when the PSN trophies concept was released it rather fit in with the way that I already played games anyway. If I was going to buy a game, I was going to make sure I completed every aspect of it!

I greatly enjoy the platforming, adventure, stealth (where no-kill playthroughs are possible), and RPG genres; these are my game types of choice. The world is already so serious that I like my games to be more laid back, with humor at times. I prefer cooperative play and since almost all multiplayer content is competitive I don't usually enter that space very much. I do not enjoy straight-up first person shooters (although Mass Effect was quite enjoyable), driving/flying simulators, sports games, excessive blood, excessive demonic activity, excessive swearing, games that promote bad things as being good and/or fun (Grand Theft Auto series), or games that basically are just plain dark/evil.

http://i.imgur.com/2Uj6mBn.png

The only thing I'll mention about real life is that I am a software programmer with an extreme ability to focus on tasks to their completion. This is the drive behind my trophy completion.

My overall view on games: they can be very fun, calming, and rewarding. However, do not let them rule your life. Personally I try to play mostly when everyone else in the house is asleep or away.

What sort of setup do you have going back home for your gaming?

I have two PS3s, two PS4s, a PS Vita, and I play on a 65" LCD.

How long have you been gaming and what made you decide PlayStation as your gaming companion?

My first gaming system was an Atari 2600, so I've been gaming around 30 years. I eventually purchased a SNES, later a GameCube, and then was extremely excited when PS1 was released. I find the PS1/2/3 controller to be the most comfortable gaming controller I've ever used. I have never had any interest in XBOX.

What was the last game you bought, and what's the next one you’re looking forward to?

The last game that I bought was Dragon Age: Inquisition. I am a huge fan of Ratchet & Clank and so I am very much looking forward to that new release on PS4 in April.

You mentioned that Ratchet and Clank was one of your favorite franchises, what draws you to this game in particular and which installment is your favorite?

Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction was my first, but my favorite is a tie between Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction and Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time. Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction was released on PS3 before PSN trophies existed!

http://i.imgur.com/MfXsuDC.png

• I greatly enjoy platforming adventure games.
  • I very much enjoy games where you can improve/upgrade your character as you play.
  • It's funny, clean humor (that includes the banter).
  • The two main characters are true friends.
  • Both main characters truly want to help others.
  • The weapon varieties are just plain fun.
  • I greatly enjoy "improving" the weapons and upgrades through use.
  • All of the games have a very laid-back feel.
  • I like the "find my missing Lombax family" backstory that moves through all of the games.

If you had the chance to improve the PlayStation and/or PSN store, what one thing would you like to see implemented?

I design User Interface layouts in my day job; I have many changes I would make to the interface. I'm not fond of the busyness of the new interface that was released with PS4 (and later added to PS3). I would prefer a more straight-forward interface that allows the user to configure layout and content that they wish to see.

If you could add one title to the PSN store from any gaming system past or present what would it be?

Metroid Prime Trilogy (originally on GameCube)

One of the most fun games I have ever played.

How much of a certified trophy whore are you? Does the trophy list play any part in the decision to play or buy a game, or do you base that decision entirely on the game?

I'm not 100% about trophies, but they do play a large factor. There is a small chunk of the gaming world that I focus on: Ratchet & Clank style games, adventure games, no-kill-stealth games, some RPGs, and (until recently) Final Fantasy games. These are the games I would always play when there were no trophies.

http://i.imgur.com/wJSHDaH.png

When I cannot find one of those games to play, that's when I pull out some research and look for shorter games to play that offer a challenge, are not enormously difficult to get 100%, and are usually less than 20 hours in length. These are the types of games that I fully research all of the trophies before even beginning. Since I literally 100% every game that I play, I don't want to get stuck on a long and/or horrible game.

A huge factor of this was the creation of GameFly: an on-line store where you can rent games through the mail. There is only a very small set of games that I will buy, but there is a much larger set that I would be willing to rent.

I frequently avoid games that have multiplayer trophies as the majority of the time I just plain do not enjoy going for them. I did not play Uncharted 2 or 3, or Lara Croft mainly because of the multiplayer requirements.

Edited by Aeirou

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would you say was your proudest platinum and why?

Star Ocean: The Last Hope International

http://i.imgur.com/HMyrIIn.png

This was a brutal game to complete and the only reason I actually was able to complete it is because I truly did enjoy the game. I think my game time was almost 500 hours? Crazy, right? Not only was the game off-the-charts-long, there was a high missable level for a couple of the trophies, many steps were highly tedious, and several of the battle trophies required a high level of skill to achieve. This was my 4th platinum and I'll be getting my 190th this week.

If the end of the world was nigh and you had to grab three games/franchises to take with you to play out your final days to, what would they be?

While I must admit that I would not be playing games if that were the case, that's not the point of the question so my answer is thus:

• Ratchet & Clank franchise
  • Metroid franchise
  • Final Fantasy line

What brought you to PST and what keeps you coming back?

• fantastic trophy guides
  • clean language and proper behavior is enforced
  • helpful community
  • proper English grammar is used

What got you into guide writing and which guide is your favorite so far?

I wrote a supplement guide once just for fun for Lemmings. I wasn't planning on submitting it but then someone suggested that I should submit it. Oddly enough, after that I decided that (at least for awhile) that I would write guides for any games that I play where a guide does not already exist. I enjoy figuring things out and helping others succeed.

My favorite is probably Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition - Trophy Guide and Road Map as it took a very long time to write; it was completely intermingled with my own playthrough of constant note-taking. It was very satisfying to hear the Platinum ding.

http://i.imgur.com/WvI1FYD.png

If you were an admin of PST for a day, what would you do and why?

I've never thought about this before. Even thinking about it now, I cannot think of anything special that I would do. I'm more of a "make it better" kind of person rather than a "create something from scratch" so I would need a target to focus on.

What other hobbies do you have outside of gaming?

I enjoy woodworking, weight lifting, running, reading, martial arts, and piano.

What are some of your favorite shows, or books?

My favorite movie series is Lord of the Rings as well as the recent comic book movies (Iron Man, Captain America, etc). For books, I've read so many that I really do not have favorites; they kind of run together in my mind. I prefer very long fantasy or science fiction stories.

Any final words for the community?

Always remember, as fun as it is they are just games! Do not put games ahead of family, work, and life!

Edited by Aeirou

... this member also likes to fly under the radar.

So without further ado, I am happy to award scharn73 as this year's first Member of the Month!

Definitely flew under my radar, as this the first time I ever heard of this member. I will have to pay close attention to his Dragon Quest Heroes guide whenever I get the game.

Congrats scharn73 on becoming a M.o.M. :)

Glad you gotten recognized for MOTM Scharn. You do fantastic guides and supplement threads. :applause:

Definitely flew under my radar, as this the first time I ever heard of this member. I will have to pay close attention to his Dragon Quest Heroes guide whenever I get the game.

Really? I knew about him already. :chair:

Same with me lol. I guess we don't have many similar interests in games :p

Either way, when I eventually complete some more games, I hope to use your guides!

Congrats on becoming MotM! :applause:

Same with me lol. I guess we don't have many similar interests in games :p

Either way, when I eventually complete some more games, I hope to use your guides!

Congrats on becoming MotM! :applause:

You never checked Legend of Kay Anniversary while it was on sale? I believe most of you viewed it and forgot. Game been on sale for $3 many times for the PS3 version at least. :p