Member of the Month - July 2015

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/news/MotM.png

As we roll into our second month of the PST House Championships, it’s time once again to crown our Member of the Month. This month we have one of my fellow Canadians, who isn’t afraid to tell everyone how much nicer it is in BC than anywhere else in Canada. He is also an all around lover of all things indie (music or game related) and has written guides for such games as Rogue Legacy, Towerfall, and Paperbound.

Please join me in congratulating our forum’s resident local multiplayer game enthusiast, lover of indies, and everyone’s favorite PST Survivor antagonist, Vo1cl.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/news/blueline.png

Can you tell us a bit more about the person behind the PSN ID?

Well this is the last thing I expected! Just wanted to start off by saying thanks for choosing me. I'll try to keep my answers as serious as possible :p.

Hi everyone! My name is Mike and I am a 26-year old Capricorn from Vancouver Canada. For those of you who don't know, being a Capricorn means I like long walks on the beach, laughing about nothing, and cuddling under a blanket watching a nice movie.

I've semi-recently acquired a BA in Psychology, but now that I spent all the time getting the degree and working a bit in the field, I realized it's not exactly what I want to do, so I'm looking to go right back to school to study web development.

One of my favourite nerdy pastimes (other than gaming) is actually board games. I've started amassing a good-sized collection of them. I try to get a bunch of friends together at least once a month to play!

What sort of setup do you have going back home for your gaming?

I've got a 47" LG LCD TV that I've had for almost a decade. I've put a lot of hours into her, and I keep worrying that I'm going to have a pixel die on me any day now :(. I've got my PS3 and PS4 hooked into it, as well as my girlfriend's PS4. I've also been borrowing a small 20" Samsung LCD TV from a friend which helps to double fist weeab games while I watch Netflix or a movie, or to play a game as the same time as the missus (I always get shafted to the little one :().

How long have you been gaming and what made you decide PlayStation as your gaming companion?

I've been gaming since I was a small child, about 4 or 5 years old. Funny story! My first console was a SNES with Super Mario World. I couldn't figure out how to get through the door in the first castle, so legend has it I cried all night. My dad (who is illiterate when it comes to games) stayed up all night trying to get to the castle to learn that pressing Up goes through the door. I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure the game manual explains that :think:.

Anyway, I graduated from my SNES to a PS1, and have been with Sony ever since. The exclusives are what keeps me here. I grew to love some of the early Playstation characters like Croc and Crash, then moved on to loving some more advanced titles like Final Fantasy, to upgrading to a PS2 and enjoying titles like Dark Cloud, God of War, and Kingdom Hearts, then worked my way to Uncharted, Infamous, Killzone, and the like. Currently I am over the moon with Sony's support to indie games, so that's a huge bonus to me.

What was the last game you bought, and what's the next one you’re looking forward to?

The last game I bought was Batman: Arkham Knight. I still haven't actually beat it yet. Oh man was I surprised when the Arkham Knight turned out to be my father Darth Vader wanting to rule the galaxy together. As for what's next, that's a real tough question. Probably the earliest releasing title I am looking forward to is Mighty Number 9. I'm a massive Megaman fan and am really looking forward to this spiritual successor.

2543897-a1d0e45fc7a68f4c962f2ebcd7a2210c_large.jpg

Edited by Gage

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you had the chance to improve the PlayStation and/or PSN store, what one thing would you like to see implemented?

Does making it hack/DDoS-proof count? :p I'd personally like to be able to sort my friends list on the PS4, and through that be able to turn on sign-in notifications for friends. I like to stalk people on my PSN and this would just make things easier ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).

If you could add one title to the PSN store from any gaming system past or present what would it be?

Can it be a future title? Screw it, this is my MotM interview and I’ll be a diva. I would definitely love to see Cuphead brought over at some point. I was enthralled by the art style back when I saw the 2014 Microsoft E3 conference. Now that I’ve seen it plays a bit like Contra/Megaman I want it even more.

http://cupheadgame.com/images/pic01.jpg

How much of a certified trophy whore are you? Does the trophy list play any part in the decision to play or buy a game, or do you base that decision entirely on the game?

I’d say I’m a middle of the road whore. I will go and play crummy weeab VN’s, or other kids games for trophies. But at the same time, I have no issue just stopping a game altogether because it’s not fun. Just the other day I sold Lego Marvel before I did a clean up, just because I couldn’t be bothered to do a second play through and the *shudder* open world.

What would you say was your proudest platinum and why?

Killzone 2. Beating Radec on Elite difficulty was a test of patience and skill, and getting Weekly Honor Rank 1 felt pretty good. For those of you that don't know, to hit Weekly Honor Rank 1 you need to be in the top 1% of players for the weekly leaderboard. I went hard at that game and managed to do it. I found out years later that there's apparently some sort of way to make it easier, but I did it all on my own.

http://www.abload.de/img/killzone2_877fj03.jpg

If the end of the world was nigh and you had to grab three games/franchises to take with you to play out your final days to, what would they be?

Oh man I have to think carefully about this; I get bored easily. I'm a big platformer fan, so I'd definitely take Mario with me. I don't think I could ever get sick of Mario. Next up, since I love me some JRPG's I'd have to take one of those with me. And what better RPG than... Persona (bet you all thought I was going to say FF). But seriously, Persona games have great story and solid combat. And since I'm taking the franchise with me, that also means I get a fighter. Yay for twofers. Lastly, I'd probably have to bring Megaman with me. Another solid platformer that aged well, and never gets old. Plus there's a lot of variety to the games so I'm sure I would stay entertained for ages.

Which is your favourite board game and why?

My #1 favourite? Oh man that's a tough one. I'd probably go with Betrayal At House on the Hill. Basically it's a mini-RPG where you explore a randomly generated mansion and collect equipment, stat bonuses, etc. The mansion gets progressively more haunted, and once it reaches it's tipping point one of 50+ random scenarios starts. In the scenario, usually one player becomes a traitor/monster and tries to murder everyone else. It's a blast. If people are interested, you can watch a YouTube show I love where Wil Wheaton plays this game here:

[ame]

[/ame]

If BreadSkin had his own Sandwich Shop & Deli, what kind of Sub would you order, and why?

Alright so before I get into this, the Sandwich Shop & Deli better be called BreadSkin is Bae-kery. Anyways, I'd probably go for a good old fashioned Turkey Club. It's got bacon, it's got unprocessed meat, it's got bacon. Just a good healthy sandwich.

What brought you to PST and what keeps you coming back?

Oh probably some trophy at some point. I was hooked on trophies immediately when I heard Super Stardust HD. As for what keeps me, it's the community (both the good and the bad). From awesome staff members, to users posting guides and other content, running leaderboards, and a million other things I'm forgetting, to the people who make cringey posts that make me stop and go "wtf are you on!?". I just can't quit this place.

If you were an admin of PST for a day, what would you do and why?

GO MAD WITH POWER! I WOULD SWING THE BANHAMMER ROUND AND ROUND AND NOT CARE WHO IT HIT.

Ahem, excuse me. Actually one thing that really irks me about the way the forum is set up is that a game that begins with the word "The" goes into the T-section of the filing system. While that's technically correct, that's not how I think about games. I can't count how many times I've gone to W for something like The Wolf Among Us, or L for The Last of Us. It makes me rage every single time.

I'd also force another Beat the Staff event, or even a Hunger Games-esque PVP event. This place needs more chances for skilled gamers to strut their stuff.

Any final words for the community?

Stay excellent to each other! Naw but for real, the community here rocks. You guys are all awesome in my book.

Edited by Mendel

Congrats Mikhail! :applause:

The last game I bought was Batman: Arkham Knight. I still haven't actually beat it yet. Oh man was I surprised when the Arkham Knight turned out to be my father Darth Vader wanting to rule the galaxy together.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/z/PzEAAMXQLbVRZ2ha/$T2eC16h,!zEE9s3!Z)fPBRZ2hZu9gw~~60_35.JPG?set_id=880000500F

If BreadSkin had his own Sandwich Shop & Deli, what kind of Sub would you order, and why?

Alright so before I get into this, the Sandwich Shop & Deli better be called BreadSkin is Bae-kery.

Best. MOTM. EVA. :francis:

BreadSkin is Bae-kery is my new favourite thing, well done sir :rofl:

Edited by Moosh

Congrats Vo1cl! Well-deserved, and nice to see another Canadian get MOTM! :applause:

Alright so before I get into this, the Sandwich Shop & Deli better be called BreadSkin is Bae-kery. Anyways, I'd probably go for a good old fashioned Turkey Club. It's got bacon, it's got unprocessed meat, it's got bacon. Just a good healthy sandwich.

:rofl:

Edited by Ryukori