Member of the Month - February 2014

Pokkit_

http://efunk.bravehost.com/PS3T/MOM_banner.jpg

This month's MotM is someone I'm sure many of us know of. Prior to his departure from staff, he's contributed a lot of his time moderating the forums as a Mod and served briefly on the Guide Team. However, despite no longer being able to dedicate his time for the forums, he still stuck around producing signatures that I'm sure many of you have at least seen before. He's also helped hosted the popular SotM thread for a brief period of time. Almost everyone on staff thought he had won MotM before, but to our surprise, he hasn't. Now that he's back to being more "active" around the site, we figured this would be the best time to grant him this honor.

Without further ado I give you TheFlyingToaster!

Can you tell us a bit more about the person behind the PSN ID?

Well my name is Jonnie and I'm 22 from Scotland. Video games are pretty much the thing I'm most passionate about. I tend to get the most enjoyment out of things when I can be creative. I did game design at University and a job in the industry would be my ultimate goal. Naughty Dog hire me plz. I also enjoy baking.

What sort of setup do you have going back home for your gaming?

So I think my set up is pretty basic. Most of my gaming is on my 32" Sony Bravia which just sits on a smallish table along with my ps3 and ps4. I'm probably due an upgrade but to be honest I quite like my tv and I'm usually sat pretty close anyway. My pc sits under the table and my monitor is actually on another small table I can roll around the room. Not exactly elegant but it sure is convenient for when I'm on both at the same time, which is more or less all the time I'm on. It started temporary because I wanted the screens side by side for following guides while playing but I quite like it now :/.

How long have you been gaming and what made you decide PlayStation as your gaming companion?

I guess I basically got into gaming because my dad played games. I don't remember exactly how young I was but my first gaming memories are some black and white Mickey Mouse game and some other fighting game with I think a 4 armed cyclops dude on some kind of Nintendo. It's all pretty vague. So one day my dad trades in the Nintendo for PS1 with Tekken I think and that was that. I've had every PlayStation console since. I honestly still have a lot of fond memories from the PS1 games like Crash, Spyro, MGS.. they got me hooked and I guess the games are why I've stuck with Sony all this time.

What was the last game you bought, and what's the next one you're looking forward to?

The last game I bought was actually Borderlands 2 GotY. After getting it free on plus I starting playing it 4 player co-op with Bread, Mendel & Lab. Somewhere along the line it was decided we were doing the dlc so I ended up just buying it. I'm not quite sure of my opinion of the game but the 4 player co-op sure is eventful :p.

Next game would have to be Thief. I have it pre-ordered and It's the first new game I've bought since getting my PS4 in December. There are some other games out soon after that I'm looking forward to more (Dark Souls omg) but honestly I am actually quite excited to have a new big game to play on PS4, only reason It's been turned on this year was for the free plus games.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/screenshots/2236/med_thief-january-4.jpg

Which Spyro was your favorite back on the original PlayStation?

Year of the Dragon. It's one of the few PS1 games I actually still own and I just had ridiculous amounts of fun with it. I'd guess It's one of my most played games on PS1.

If the end of the world was nigh and you had to grab three games/franchises to take with you to play out your final days to, what would they be?

This is very hard to narrow down to 3, these sort of questions about your favourite game(s) of all time always seem like the video game equivalent of asking a parent to pick their favourite child. There are honestly so many but I guess Metal Gear Solid would have to be there. It's been my favourite game series since I played MGS1 when it came out and I've loved every game since. I think I'd like to sit down and play through them all again at some point, I did that just before 4 came out and it was so much fun.

It could possibly be because Left Behind just renewed my love for the game and I'm busy fanboying all over Naughty Dog right now but I think I'd take the last of Us. The game just blew me away when I played it, It's probably the best presented game I've ever played. The characters, the acting, the story, the world, the soundtrack... I just loved it all. I'm sure UC4 will be great and I'll love that too but I really just want Naughty Dog to tell me more stories like TLOU.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/screenshots/1317/med_20344joel_ellie_truck.jpg

Lastly... on the condition I would have 9 other people I like to play with and don't need to play with random asshats on the eve of an apocalypse... I'd take League of Legends. At this point It's by far and away my most played game ever. After THL 1 burnt me out on trophy hunting my friend got me to try league and It was all very new and exciting to me, I barely play pc games outside of League. I've been varying levels of addicted to it ever since because It's honestly just a huge amount of fun, more so with people you know.

If you had the chance to improve the PlayStation and/or PSN store, what one thing would you like to see implemented?

Honestly the main thing I don't like about the store is that it runs like a piece of shit on PS3. At first I just thought it was me because my PS3 had some kind of minor heart attack at the end of the first THL and has run extremely slowly ever since but I'm told most people think It's shit too. So I guess I'd magically fix that. Only other thing is the ability to search your download list would be pretty nice.

If you could add one title to the PSN store from any gaming system past or present what would it be?

I've had pretty mixed feelings towards hd remakes, I've played a lot of them and It's been pretty hit or miss if the game has aged well or not. Most of my favourite games from ps1/2 are actually on the store anyway. So I guess if I had to choose I'd add Alan Wake. During my quite brief stint with an xbox it was the game I enjoyed most. The style of the storytelling was very cool and the soundtrack was great. Damn fun game too. I could never really bring myself to hunt achievements, for whatever the reason the motivation really wasn't there so It would be pretty cool to be able to replay it and go for trophies instead.

Edited by BreadSkin

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you seem to like League of Legends quite a bit, so have you ever played Dota 2? How do they compare?

Well I do have Dota I just haven't ever had the desire to play it. I already have so much time and effort invested in League I honestly just can't be fucked trying to learn another MOBA. I tried to watch some streams of the big DotA 2 events but just don't think it looks that interesting :/. The style doesn't appeal to me as much.

http://i.imgur.com/Ctj8S7S.jpg

How much of a certified trophy whore are you? Does the trophy list play any part in the decision to play or buy a game, or do you base that decision entirely on the game?

I'd say it comes and goes. I've played games almost exclusively for the trophies mainly during THL but It's very rare I play a game I have absolutely no interest in. I don't really let trophies stop me playing a game I really want to play either, which is probably why I have so many unfinished games on my profile.

What would you say was your proudest platinum and why?

I'm proud of quite a lot of my platinums for different reasons but I guess I'd have to go with Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2. My friend somehow talked me into buying the game when it came out and I played it through once on the easiest setting before discarding it to my shelf for years because I sucked at it. Not quite sure what possessed me to go back to it a couple of years later, I think I just started talking to someone on here about it and the idea stuck in my head. So I played it a pretty unhealthy amount for a few weeks or so and got the plat. I guess I just liked the satisfaction of going from completely terrible to pretty good at the game. I always enjoy feeling as though I've really learned a game by the end of it. I ended up loving the game and played a ton after the plat too although I am actually still pretty terrible at action games in general...

Are you looking forward to Metal Gear Solid V, or even Ground Zeroes perhaps?

It's kind of weird to be honest. I went through a pretty long stage of being addicted to league of legends and ignoring most things PlayStation/console gaming. So when all the new MGS stuff was being announced etc I just missed most of it. I mean I am looking forward to it I think I just missed getting all caught up in hype or whatever. I'm sure I'll be a lot more excited when V is close to coming out. I'm kind of unsure how I feel about paying for a big demo or whatever Ground Zeros is supposed to be although I fully expect myself to buy it and love it.

http://static.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1197/11970954/2367051-mgsvgz_ss_demo_001.jpg

What brought you to PS3T and what keeps you coming back?

I think I was looking for some help with Uncharted after trophies came out and found this site. I lurked for a while and then I think it was actually the original TSL that made me start to post more to get 100 so I could sign up. Since then I guess It's just the people I've got to know that keep me on the site and obviously trophy help for whatever game I'm playing.

Aside from being a big contributor to the forums with your time prior to being staff and posting up quality guides, you're also quite well known to have a good handle on graphics design. What got you into it?

It was actually a friend in high school who got me Photoshop and he was already quite good at it and I wanted to try it out and do some of the stuff he was doing. I'd just mess around in it a lot and try work out what different things did. After that I wanted to make sigs because I would just see all these cool images around forums etc. It took me a long ass time to start making anything I liked though, I didn't really find the majority of tutorials helpful and there were many many many failed attempts. Finally I just found some things that worked for me. I just find it fun really, being creative is fun :p. I'm trying to improve more outside of sig making and stuff so I guess we'll see how that goes lol.

Check out his gallery! http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/member-galleries/139171-toasters-gallery.html

If you were an admin of PS3T for a day, what would you do and why?

Ban annoying people :shrugs:

Can you play the bagpipes (had to ask it)?

I cannot. It's actually surprisingly hard....

Kilts, bagpipes, or haggis...which Scottish thing needs to go the most?

Haggis definitely. I don't mind the other two lol.

You mentioned you like to bake. Baking what exactly (besides bread :rimshot:)? Favorite recipe? Do elaborate.

Well... it is mainly bread... breads and deserts I guess. Bread is the only thing I do regularly. Idk why I started but I just found it fun and home made bread is almost always better than bread from supermarkets so I just make it whenever I can and I got given a book with like a million different types. Favourite recipe? um... I made a cranachan cheesecake for Burns night (Scottish thing) and it went down pretty well, I ended up having to make a few for an event after it too.

What do you think of ribboms?

I think I can't type and Mendel's an asshole :).

Any final words for the community?

I guess just thanks to all the members and the staff for the work they do. You've all sure made this place pretty interesting over the years :D. Thanks to all the guide writers, so much work can go into those things.

well

:/

Inside joke

Congrats Jonnie! :hug:

I've had the privilege to get to know you for the past month and I have to say that I couldn't think of anyone else more deserving to get MoTM this month. :applause:

Although I thought you already had it. :p

I have to say that I'm kind of shocked though that you didn't say that if you were admin for a day, you would have disabled all smileys. :p

So just for that, I'm going to disable smileys in this post. :/

Edited by Warbear

Congrats Toaster! Long overdue mate :applause:

You were the first person I ever spoke to on this site when I PM'd you a few questions about F1 2010 when you did the guide, so thanks for that :D

The less said on my behalf about our last encounter on Uncharted 2, the better though :o

Enjoy your month mate!

Congrats Toaster :applause:

I agree with you on Alan Wake coming across, that would be pretty cool because I really enjoyed that game, and the soundtrack to it!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeSUvoY2oUk]Alan Wake Soundtrack: 08 - Old Gods Of Asgard - The Poet And The Muse - YouTube[/ame]

Speaking of which, you'll have to make another music quiz one of these days ;)

Oh and I think that first gaming memory game with the 4 armed chap was Mortal Kombat on the Snes :D

http://www.mksecrets.net/images/mk1/mk1-glitches08.png

Edited by Xander45