Member of the Month - December 2012

Archavia

http://efunk.bravehost.com/PS3T/MOM_banner.jpg

First and foremost, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! 2012 has been a fantastic year for PS3T, and that is thanks to all the wonderful members constantly contributing to the site as a whole. We thank you all for contributing as you have, and look forward to what you all have to offer in 2013.

To end the year, there is one last Member of the Month to be recognised. This is special to me, as not only has the member contributed endlessly in her time here, but she has also become a close friend of mine, extending beyond just the forums. In the 13 months she has been a member here, she has proven herself to be one of the most outgoing and charismatic members around, along with making endless contributions. Not only has she already written an astounding 16 guides with more to come, she has also helped members whenever possible. It is an honour to present the Member of the Month for December 2012, MsFuruba!

Now onto the (somewhat weeaboo) interview!

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/news/blueline.png

Can you tell us a bit more about the person behind the PSN ID?

My name's Kate, I'm 14 years old and live in County Cork, Ireland. Currently I'm in my Second Year of secondary school. Since I can't get a job just yet, my hobbies are gaming, writing and reading. :)

Let's pretend for a moment I don't already know the answer to this - what does MsFuruba actually mean? :p

Haha, I kinda get asked that a lot :D The 'Ms' part stands for me being a Miss, and Furuba is the Japanese nickname for my first and favourite manga and anime, Fruits Basket. I made up the name years ago and have stuck with it even since. :)

So you're a fan of anime, I see. Other than Fruits Basket, what are some other anime you really enjoy, and what genre of anime is your favourite?

Ooooh, tough question! There's so many others I like, I'm probably gonna forget a few now :p

Regardless, a few other anime/manga I like which I can think of immediately are:

• Tenshi Ja Nai!!
  • Peach Girl
  • Death Note
  • Soul Eater
  • Bleach
  • Sgt. Frog
  • STEINS;Gate
  • CHAOS;Head
  • ROBOTICS;Notes
  • Ore no Imōto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai (Oreimo)
  • Azumanga Daioh!
  • CLANNAD
  • Angel Beats!
  • Minami-Ke
  • Ouran High School Host Club
  • And as cheesy as it can be, Tokyo Mew Mew.

My favourite genre of anime/manga would probably be both romance and action-fantasies. I like romance (like Peach Girl or Fruits Basket) for its simple slice-of-life and light-hearted outlook, but I also like action-fantasies (such as Bleach or Soul Eater) for its great battle scenes and more often than not, very good character development.

Here's the big question for most anime lovers: subbed or dubbed?

Haters gonna hate, I'm a bigger fan of dubs. I prefer watching the anime in a language I can fully understand rather than, albeit a language I am currently learning, one of which I cannot understand the full extent of. Of course, I've watched quite a few anime which are Japanese with subtitles only, and I don't have anything against watching them. But when there's an option of either sub or dub, I'll almost always pick dub.

What sort of setup do you have going back home for your gaming?

Since I'm not an expert on electrical appliances, all I know is it's a flatscreen, Tevion television. :p I have a 320 GB Slim PS3 which I got almost three years ago. Nearby I have my PS2, PS1, Dreamcast and game collection.

How long have you been gaming and what made you decide PlayStation as your gaming companion?

I've been gaming for as long as I remember. As a kid I often watched my sister play the older Tekken games and so eventually began playing it myself. In regards to Playstation as a companion, not only have I played Playstation since I was young and tend to generally prefer it, it also has (in my opinion) the better exclusives.

What was the last game you bought, and what's the next one you’re looking forward to?

Last game I purchased was Ar Tonelico Qoga: The Knell of Ar Ciel. Love the game to bits. And the next game I'm anticipating would probably have to be the DmC reboot coming out soon. After playing the demo I'm only more excited for the new installment of the best hack-and-slash series available ;)

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/screenshots/750/med_dmc_devil_may_cry_captivate_screenshot__16_.jpg

You've written many guides for the site in your one year as a member. Which one did you enjoy writing the most, and why?

Well guide writing is always fun :p But I remember really enjoying writing my Space Channel 5: Part 2 guide. It was my first time doing a supplementary guide and since the game is hella fun, the guide was hella fun to write as a consequence :D

Do you have any words of advice for up-and-coming guide writers?

First thing I'd say is don't give up partway through. Guides can be quite daunting to write first-time because there's so much you must remember when writing it and yes, I know the feeling, and it can be extremely tough. But seeing your fully-fleshed out guide uploaded and complete is extremely satisfying in many ways. I also do think that doing a guide for a less mainstream game (i.e., an indie PSN release and/or an import, for example) can be a good place to start. But the key of it all is to never give up and do your best!! ;)

If you had the chance to improve the PlayStation and/or PSN store, what one thing would you like to see implemented?

Well there's nothing I immediately want to fix up on the Store, but I seriously think the European Store needs more NIS avatars. We're missing out on so many cool Neptunia/Atelier/Mugen Souls avatars and, seriously, is it that hard to simply put it on sale here? :p

If you could add one title to the PSN store from any gaming system past or present what would it be?

Hm... I know. It's gotta be Haunting Grounds. It's a survival horror game by Capcom on the PS2 which feels like Resident Evil with the creepy psychological elements of Silent Hill. Story was really good and the enemies were characters you ended up pitying by the game's end. Seriously freaky game but really is deserving of a HD upgrade! (Please, Capcom? :angel:)

How much of a certified trophy whore are you? Does the trophy list play any part in the decision to play or buy a game, or do you base that decision entirely on the game?

I try my best not to whore, quite frankly. :p The trophy list never plays a part in my decision to buy it. Sure, it might mean I won't be getting the game's Platinum, but in the end, the game is the important part and I can always at least try. ;)

What would you say was your proudest platinum and why?

Even though it's not entirely difficult, my proudest Platinum thus far is Final Fantasy XIII. It's not tough in any sense and even the grind isn't too painful, but I just enjoyed the game (and the Platinum) so much, that I'm really proud of it. And plus, I know quite a few people who gave up on the Platinum because they had to restart their playthrough/didn't want to have to do the grind.

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/30800000/FFXIII-final-fantasy-xiii-30859110-1200-675.jpg

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/screenshots/890/med_5711100027_movie03_RGB.jpg

If the end of the world was nigh and you had to grab three games/franchises to take with you to play out your final days to, what would they be?

This one's pretty easy, I would pick:

1. Resident Evil
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. Tekken

More specifically, Resident Evil CODE: Veronica, Final Fantasy VI, and Tekken 3. :D They're my original favourite game franchises (as well as all being a few childhood memories) and I couldn't live without any of them. :p

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to assume Final Fantasy VI is your favourite FF game then. What about FFVI makes it stand out above the rest to you?

When I pick a favourite game, it's usually when I feel it gets all aspects of itself right. With Final Fantasy VI, I think it excels in the soundtrack, story, and characters. I've yet to know of a character in the game which I strongly dislike, the soundtrack never gets old and the story is just amazing for a game of its time. I just cannot get enough of the battle theme for the game. :)

Like me, you have a strong interest in anything Japanese. If you could choose any one game to be localised, what would it be?

Tough question, there's so many games that are Japan-exclusive that deserve to be localised >.< I would say a Visual Novel, however they're very niche and mightn't appeal to people so I choose E.X. Troopers. It's a game which only recently came out which I'll be importing soon. It's a spin-off of Lost Planet but for some reason Capcom are being stingy and not localising it. Good thing is, it's very import-friendly, the gameplay is awesome, and for those whom it concerns, it seems to have a very easy Platinum :p

Do you have any intentions of ever visiting Japan, or perhaps of learning the language?

Actually, I've been learning the language for two or three months now, simply because I hope to begin importing Visual Novels and the like in the coming year. I probably will visit the country at some point, perhaps when I finish school or something. Not only will it increase my fluency in the language, but I'll be able to pick up loads of games, hehehe :devil:

What brought you to PS3T and what keeps you coming back?

I first came here using Aeliana's Final Fantasy XIII guide in late summer 2011. I had used the site a lot since I got the PS3 but I just never considered joining, don't exactly know why :p Eventually when Tekken Hybrid came out I decided to take the plunge ad join the site, it really was worth it :) And it's the amazing community on PS3T that has me returning. Talking to gamers is fun, but talking to gamers who hunt trophies is even better :D

So Tekken Hybrid is what finally brought you to join the site. What is your favourite fighting game on PS3 and why?

Again, a tough question >.< But, after quite a bit of thought, Arcana Heart 3 wins. It's probably one of the most niche fighting games on the market and a lot of people become disinterested simply because of it's anime-style. However, the second I played it I knew it was my favourite PS3 fighter not only because of the cute and clever character design, but the music is upbeat and catchy, the fighting system is solid (what with the Arcana support) and the story isn't too shabby for a fighter either, a genre which is infamous for having half-assed/unnecessarily convoluted stories. Although the Platinum seems out of reach for me unless I get a Turbo Controller sometime soon, I still play it for fun quite often and I'm gladly anticipating the next Arcana Heart release; Arcana Heart 3: Love Max.

http://www.fightersgeneration.com/np6/gm2/arcana3-s15.jpg

If you were an admin of PS3T for a day, what would you do and why?

Snoop around the Staff Forums and give everyone on the site really weird titles under their names (or have I already?) :o

Any final words for the community?

Just a special shout-out to everyone on PS3T, you're all really awesome and keep it as one of the best sites on the net. Also, I say hi to the GAM Chat, and everyone I know.

Congrats on MOTM! :applause:

• Death Note
  • Soul Eater
  • Bleach
  • STEINS;Gate
  • CHAOS;Head
  • ROBOTICS;Notes
  • CLANNAD
  • Angel Beats!

I've seen all of the above from your list, and agree that all of them are really good. OREIMO being the only exception; while it was a funny show I just couldn't stand the main girl. You should check out Wagaya no Oinari-sama (Our Home's Fox Deity) :D

Congrats on MOTM! :applause:

• Death Note
  • Soul Eater
  • Bleach
  • STEINS;Gate
  • CHAOS;Head
  • ROBOTICS;Notes
  • CLANNAD
  • Angel Beats!

I've seen all of the above from your list, and agree that all of them are really good. OREIMO being the only exception; while it was a funny show I just couldn't stand the main girl. You should check out Wagaya no Oinari-sama (Our Home's Fox Deity) :D

Haha, Kirino does get quite a bit of hate it seems :D And just looked up Oinari-sama, it looks very cool, love the art style, will try to watch it soon :) Thank you!

Congrats MsFuruba :applause:

Congratulations MsFuruba! :)

Congratulations MsFuruba, club invite incoming :D!

Thanks folks! And got the invite Term, danke ^_^

Congrats MsFuruba! The amount of quality guides you've put together for the site is phenomenal; this is very much deserved! :applause:

Q-Q-Quality guides?

http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/nn438/GirlFromTheBush/icons/HappyTears.jpg

Thank you so much

:hug:

Haha, Kirino does get quite a bit of hate it seems :D And just looked up Oinari-sama, it looks very cool, love the art style, will try to watch it soon :) Thank you!

The humor in it is great, and the concept for the deity aspect is cool too. If you do end up watching it, let me know what you think.

Congrats on member of the month! Very well deserved! Enjoy it, young Flanamajigga! :applause:

Oh and:

• Tenshi Ja Nai!!
  • Peach Girl
  • Death Note
  • Soul Eater
  • Bleach
  • Sgt. Frog
  • STEINS;Gate
  • CHAOS;Head
  • ROBOTICS;Notes
  • Azumanga Daioh!
  • CLANNAD
  • Angel Beats!
  • Minami-Ke
  • Ouran High School Host Club
  • And as cheesy as it can be, Tokyo Mew Mew.

You forgot Naruto. :whistle:

Another Japanese fan :D Lucky you learning the language, I've always been interested in learning that one but sadly in my city I can't find anyone to teach me. Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait for when I will study abroad.

Congratulations on your MOTM

I was the same, so I'm using the GENKI Self-Learning book. Rather, I will be. :) Thank you!

The humor in it is great, and the concept for the deity aspect is cool too. If you do end up watching it, let me know what you think.

Will do!! :D

Congratulations MsFuruba!

Congratulations MsFuruba! :applause:

And did you pick a winner on bring the franchises with you. FF6 is my favorite one out of the bunch!

Thank you doods!

And yes, another FFVI fan! :hug:

Congrats on member of the month! Very well deserved! Enjoy it, young Flanamajigga! :applause:

Oh and:

You forgot Naruto. :whistle:

Danke, Roo!

Never associate me with Flanamajigga. Never. O_O

And I forgot Naruto. On purpose.

Congratulations :)! You ain't getting the title though :p

Would like to go to Japan one day. Seems like an awesome and weird place to be.

First thing I'd say is don't give up partway through. Guides can be quite daunting to write first-time because there's so much you must remember when writing it and yes, I know the feeling, and it can be extremely tough. But seeing your fully-fleshed out guide uploaded and complete is extremely satisfying in many ways. I also do think that doing a guide for a less mainstream game (i.e., an indie PSN release and/or an import, for example) can be a good place to start. But the key of it all is to never give up and do your best!!

Completely agree. And don't give up if there happens to be competition. Even if they already posted their guide well before you do. It might add to the pressure a bit, but don't give up. I did it once, never should've done that.

Edited by Vuule

Congrats MsFuruba, very well deserved indeed. Keep up the great work :)

Congrats MsFuruba! :applause:

I too prefer dubbed anime over subbed whenever available. :p

Thanks guys! And Sackboy, it seems we are in the minority of those who prefer dub. :pout:

Congratulations :)! You ain't getting the title though :p

Would like to go to Japan one day. Seems like an awesome and weird place to be.

Completely agree. And don't give up if there happens to be competition. Even if they already posted their guide well before you do. It might add to the pressure a bit, but don't give up. I did it once, never should've done that.

B-B-But the title :pout: :p

Awesome and weird perfectly describes Japan. :D

I've seen many people give up on guides because, for example, someone who's written more guides and is more experienced did first. It's daunting, but it shouldn't stop people. :)

Congrats on MOTM MsFuruba:)

Very well, Rasmajigga.

Aww come on, my surname isn't that hard now :p

Congratulations Furuba!:applause: Forty-five winners later and we finally have an Irish Member of the Month.:D Does your school offer Japanese? Mine did for Leaving Cert but I don't think it's available anymore though. If so, it would be a great opportunity for you.

It seems so, huh? :D I know Japanese is offered for one year in Transition Year but aside from that there's nothing :( If there was enough interest, I'd say an after-school lesson could happen or something but there seems to be no interest currently, nor a teacher. :'(