Game Night Month 3: Going Back in Time

olsen77

We're back for another run at a series of game nights. This time though, we're going (relatively) retro. How do we define "retro" in this case? Since we can only go back so far, it has to be a game released in the first half of this console generation that really can be picked up for next to nothing used or new (and have an online set up that makes it possible to do a game night, sorry Metal Gear and Battlefield 1943 fans).

There are three that are planned for June. We've picked two based on the game night wishlist thread and the fact that we owe you guys one. The third is a member's choice based on older games that were posted in the wishlist. And why is there no Call of Duty? Because we know that Call of Duty will win any member's choice poll, and well, we'd like to do something different.

Here's the schedule for your viewing:

June 2 - Burnout Paradise (Open for sign ups)

June 9 - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (Open for sign ups)

June 16 - Wipeout HD

We're taking the 23rd off and then the 30th is the site's birthday. We're planning something special for that day and we'll announce it at a different time (and if any staff member says a word or drops a hint...well, just don't). And please, don't use this thread to speculate or guess what happens on the 30th. Just trust us.

Edited by olsen77

Awesome :D. Ill be at the Wipeout one! Probably won't be at the Members choice GN as the game I own I doubt will get picked. I wonder how cheap Burnout is on ebay, I guess ill have a look, I already have the plat, but its gotta be worth it to play in the GN and get some of those free trophies. Oh and looking forward to that surprise :D

I may be interested in Burnout Paradise but I don't have that game installed on my PS3's harddrive anymore. Wipeout HD I won't even try because I know I'll get obliterated. :(

We're going to be handling the Wipeout sign ups very differently. It'll be based on the skill that you feel comfortable at (Flash, Rapier, or Phantom). Don't worry about getting obliterated. Not everyone will be matched up against the really good racers.

We're going to be handling the Wipeout sign ups very differently. It'll be based on the skill that you feel comfortable at (Flash, Rapier, or Phantom). Don't worry about getting obliterated. Not everyone will be matched up against the really good racers.

That's a great idea. Guess ill be picking the bottom one then, which im guessing is Flash :p

Awesome stuff guys with another gaming night month. Should be attending the Burnout night until the last few dwindle down, and I might be able to pop in for an hour and a half for the other two (dependent on the member vote of course), but I can't make any promises due to exams.

Before I go and vote in the member poll, is GTA IV good to go in terms of getting a lobby together without any disconnections? Admittedly I haven't played it in a while, but the last time I did, it was hard work just getting 4 or 5 people together. I'll save my vote just in case for now, fingers crossed.

Looking forward to the surprise too, free beers for everybody right? :p

Edited by fletchar2

I could be at all three not sure though:

Burnout: Was really fun when I played it last year for PS+ but never got the DLC trophies, may buy it again.

Members Choice: If GTA, U2 or KZ2 are picked

Wipeout: Never did download that from the welcome back package, sitting in a download list, might download it now :o

Hopefully I'll see you there, and I can't wait for the surprise.

Sweet, I'll sign up for the weakest class and give all the newcomers a hard time :D

Joking of course, I'll probably be terrible now in any case, it's been around 9 months since I last played. I think I'll be at all of these though so looking forward to it ;)

Edited by McGarnigle

I don't have Burnout anymore :(:pout::(:pout::(:pout:

Got it free from PS Plus because of the PSN outage last year. Really wish I still had it, such a fun and great game.

If Uncharted 2 or GTA IV get picked from the member's choice I'll be able to join but like I said in that thread, I thought there were issues about joining other people when thye were more than 5 or something. That's what I was told at least.

That's really cool. I was probably not going to sign up due to being terrible at the game and not wanting to get in the way. But in the lower speed classes I might actually be able to get around the track without hitting the wall in EVERY corner.

If this is the case I would love to join a Wipeout HD GN, I was the king of Wipeout 2097 :p Haven't played much of Wipeout HD on the PS3 though.

Phew, don't have Burnout anymore, but I'll be out of the country on that night anyway. Looking forward to getting absolutely smashed in WipEout, unless I actually boot it up and put in a bit of practice beforehand...

Fingers crossed for either a GTA IV or UC2 game night (which, if the polls continue as they currently are, is looking most likely).