retail price

cockneykev

£24.99 on amazon uk

Is that roughly $30 (usd)? I'm not good at these exchange rates conversions :p Well, I still would not buy it even if its $20 or $10, for this is too much in my book considering I payed only $4 for all the angry birds on my phone. Maybe if they gave a free vita version I wouldn't mind paying $10 or $15. But, it looks like I'm just going to rent it instead and platinum it that way.

Picking it up tomorrow, £29.99. It is quite expensive compared to what I expected. But I've wasted £40 on games before that I've enjoyed way less than angry birds. I'm sure it will drop in price quite fast, but I'm not too bothered about loosing a few pounds. I'll get hours of gameplay from it, so it's worth it

Once the price drops to something more reasonable, it's actually got a few decent features to make it worth the playthrough.

The main one, for me, is the Dynamic Leaderboards. Not enough games have that feature when they should - basically, after every play or improved High Score, it'll immediately tell you what your overall rank is on that particular stage compared to all other players who have successfully completed it.

It adds a bit more play to the game beyond the mentality of "Well, I got three stars, so I'm done with that stage." Discovering your 3-star rating is over 20,000 below the highest score may make you revisit the stage to try and discover what you could have done differently.

It also has "one stop shopping" to retry the stage or switch to the Eagle - you just need to hold the appropriate button down for about a second to enable the respective feature. Since you can often tell as soon as you've fired a shot whether the trajectory is wrong, it lets you restart the stage while the first bird is still in flight instead of needing to pause the game, switch to the "restart" option on the menu and direct select it.

And, of course, the graphic quality is the highest resolution for the franchise (unless it's been optimized for the New iPad, which might give it a run for its money pixel-for-pixel), and you can soon in as far as you can or out to maximum "away distance" even on the short stages, in case you're used to always making your shots seeing as much of the screen as possible.

In the end, though, precious little has changed in terms of actual game CONTENT, and the majority of the trophies are straight grind-fests (Mighty Eagle, and definitely You Are Elvis will take FOREVER and probably require multiple trips to Youtube), but I've spent more time on my rental than I ever did on any of the iOS versions.

But since there were only about 1,500 scores on the Overall High Score leaderboard as of Friday evening, it's safe to say that the aggressive (ridiculous?) price tag is keeping most shoppers away.

Again, give it two months. It'll be $20 or less for Black Friday, guaranteed.

This should be a $5-$10 download. I'll just rent this one

In terms of sheer profit, though, especially for a game that's been out for awhile and doesn't bring anything new to the table, you price it as high as you can and drop it to something more reasonable once the "early adopters" have bought it at full price. Releasing it at a starting price of $10.00 would have been foolish when they've proven they can get more than that from some people.

At last count, there were about 7,000 - 8,000 scores on the PS3 leaderboard. Even if only 5,000 of those are from people who purchased the game at full price, that's still $150,000 more than they would have earned if it was priced competitively at $10.00.

That's not exactly spare change.

Eventually the game will drop in price (there are already sightings of Targets having the 3DS version at clearance for $14.99). They'll sell the game for $10 on Black Friday and get sales from people who wouldn't invest at $40. But they'll still have that extra $150,000+ in the bank when they do it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...