Farming grab escapes, is there an easy way? And other trophy questions

Akari

I beat the game on normal, I'm about 50% through on hard (hard mode is pretty hard!) on my second run, and I don't think I've escaped a single grab so far. Is there an easy way to grind them? If you fight a boss, escape a grab, then retire, does it save? Is there an easy way to get to boss fights if not? (I have not tried Stage Select yet, don't want to risk anything on my story mode run)

For Max Anarchy (no retries), what constitutes a retry? Dying during a mission or failing a mission? If you die, can you retire and try again? How does it work? I had quite a few deaths in normal mode (especially to stage things like runaway trucks or excavators), and I can only imagine I'd get a couple even in Easy because I'm going to be probably trying to rush it as fast as I can, so I'd like to know if I have a fallback, or if I have to just be super safe the whole way.

For the throwing a missile back at a helicopter, how do I do it? I tried it and the helicopter just went into Hijack mode. I let it sit, and then it recovered and flew off, and I haven't seen another one yet to try (though I might try in that Gunfight mission in Black side when I get there).

Also, is there a good spot for Backyard Barbeque (50 enemies fried with flying platform)? Every time I find one, there's no other enemies around, so I basically can only burn the 3 enemies it comes with... And then it blows up before I can find anyone else.

Edited by Akari

For the throwing a missile back at a helicopter, how do I do it? I tried it and the helicopter just went into Hijack mode. I let it sit, and then it recovered and flew off, and I haven't seen another one yet to try (though I might try in that Gunfight mission in Black side when I get there).

I'd like to know too. I managed to throw one back no problem but after, it just sits and does nothing for a while.

It looked completely impossible to catch when it flew off, as well.

Is it possible to do some standard attack damage to it first without it going into Hijack? I might try that. If you find the answers to the retries thing as well, I'd appreciate knowing.

As for Backyard Barbeque, there is a mission on the Black Side on the 2nd stage where you have to race it. I think you can get the kills that way if you just focus on killing guys.

Edited by NJS

I beat the game on normal, I'm about 50% through on hard (hard mode is pretty hard!) on my second run, and I don't think I've escaped a single grab so far. Is there an easy way to grind them? If you fight a boss, escape a grab, then retire, does it save? Is there an easy way to get to boss fights if not? (I have not tried Stage Select yet, don't want to risk anything on my story mode run)

Boss fights on hard - especially bigger characters like Nikolai, Max, etc. - are where you can farms grab evades; I say hard, specifically, because they grab non-stop on hard if you're passive enough. In stage select you have instant access to any missions you've already unlocked in the story mode: get enough points to unlock all stage missions and you can just go straight to a specific mission in stage select.

By the way: the timing for grab evades is ridiculous; you have to hit :circle: the instant the opponent's animation starts or you're dead; I don't know about retiring saving your stats, but dying saves them for sure.

Another by the way: you can stage select at any time, and change difficulty in stage select without it affecting your story progress/trophies as long as you don't make a manual save while you're in stage select; just let the game do its auto-saving and you'll be fine.

For Max Anarchy (no retries), what constitutes a retry? Dying during a mission or failing a mission? If you die, can you retire and try again? How does it work? I had quite a few deaths in normal mode (especially to stage things like runaway trucks or excavators), and I can only imagine I'd get a couple even in Easy because I'm going to be probably trying to rush it as fast as I can, so I'd like to know if I have a fallback, or if I have to just be super safe the whole way.

I don't have the trophy for this yet, but I'm fairly certain that any death/retire counts against you. I wouldn't worry about this on easy, though; I played through hard first and got my bum handed to me over and over again; when I went to normal mode, I couldn't believe how easy it was - I've torn through all but the last boss fight of the four stages of the Black story in less than an hour-and-a-half and haven't died once; I haven't tried it on easy yet, but I can't imagine anything in easy mode lasting long enough to actually get you killed.

Is it possible to do some standard attack damage to it first without it going into Hijack? I might try that. If you find the answers to the retries thing as well, I'd appreciate knowing.

Yes, you can damage the helicopters with other things first; when you get missiles from it, you need to throw them into the helicopter blades and not its body; that at least was how I got one to blow up - I caught a missile, ran as close to the helicopter as I could, jumped and threw the missile at the apex of my jump, and the missile flew into its blades and destroyed it rather than putting it into "hijack mode". Almost certainly, though, you need to damage it enough first, so that the missile will actually destroy it rather than just damage it.

Also, is there a good spot for Backyard Barbeque (50 enemies fried with flying platform)? Every time I find one, there's no other enemies around, so I basically can only burn the 3 enemies it comes with... And then it blows up before I can find anyone else.

This seems like a viable solution:

As for Backyard Barbeque, there is a mission on the Black Side on the 2nd stage where you have to race it. I think you can get the kills that way if you just focus on killing guys.

though you would still have to worry about making the checkpoints so as not to run out of time, and that might be pretty irritating...

One thing you can do is not hijack the platform as soon as it becomes available - kill the three guys "manually", so to speak, then hijack the platform when the next wave spawns. On the Hong Long stage I had several instances where I actually had three platforms spawn on me at one time - it seemed to happen when I had around 200 kills in one life on the stage - and that's how I did this: I let waves spawn, and made use of all three platforms to burn everyone.

One thing about this, though, is that it's very difficult to do on hard because you seem to have to fry everyone twice in order for them to die; I was shocked at how quickly everyone died on normal, so normal or easy is definitely the better/quicker place to do this.

(As a final note: I'm operating on about 2 1/2 hours of sleep, so I refuse to be legally bound by any advice I have posted in this thread)

Edited by Mitsuru Kirijo

Thanks Mitsuru (P3 love!).

The helicopter thing is odd, it seems like a weird distinction for the game to make between simply throwing one back at it and making sure you hit it in the blades. I'll try it though, so thanks for the tip.

I'm not really looking forward to the Hard playthrough, I die enough as it is on Normal. I'm glad you don't have to Platinum Medal each mission.

(As a final note: I'm operating on about 2 1/2 hours of sleep, so I refuse to be legally bound by any advice I have posted in this thread)

Too much AR? lol. The multiplayer has kept me up several very late nights and early mornings. It's a fantastic game.

Oh good, responses.

For Backyard Barbeque, that makes it even worse if I have to kill them with fire rather than just light them up. Guess I'll do that mission on lower difficulties.

For Max Anarchy, there's a mission in Port Valenda where you have to kill 100 enemies and an excavator always goes wild. I ALWAYS die to that damn thing because I haven't fully figured out where it goes yet. I'm not worried about bosses, only stage hazards like that. And if I die that far into the game, I'm gonna cry. Of course, does it require a full new playthrough too?

Btw, on normal I never had problems with 'killing x enemies in the time limit' but in hard I'm having problems. Is there a faster way to kill enemies than just spamming Rampage every time I get it? Normal combos just take far too long - when every grunt takes 3x L2+Square hits or like 4x SSST combos to die, it gets pretty rough...

Oh good, responses.

For Backyard Barbeque, that makes it even worse if I have to kill them with fire rather than just light them up. Guess I'll do that mission on lower difficulties.

For Max Anarchy, there's a mission in Port Valenda where you have to kill 100 enemies and an excavator always goes wild. I ALWAYS die to that damn thing because I haven't fully figured out where it goes yet. I'm not worried about bosses, only stage hazards like that. And if I die that far into the game, I'm gonna cry. Of course, does it require a full new playthrough too?

Btw, on normal I never had problems with 'killing x enemies in the time limit' but in hard I'm having problems. Is there a faster way to kill enemies than just spamming Rampage every time I get it? Normal combos just take far too long - when every grunt takes 3x L2+Square hits or like 4x SSST combos to die, it gets pretty rough...

i dnt do tht mission i kept farming other missions 4 points cuz its sorta : / 2 dodge

Oh good, responses.

The easy solution to that is just don't do Free Missions where you're in danger of dying instantly. Don't spend more time than you need to in Street Brawl either so you can avoid some insta-death crap that the game throws out sometimes.

Strong Killer attacks in the air or on the ground. I tend to do it in the air unless they're running in a straight line at me. Combos should only be used for killing a single guy or getting your Killer gauge back.

Strong Killer attacks in the air or on the ground. I tend to do it in the air unless they're running in a straight line at me. Combos should only be used for killing a single guy or getting your Killer gauge back.

Many of the later enemies (shirtless blue guys with torches or the green guys with batons) don't die to the strong killer attack on the ground. I have not tried the air one though.

The helicopter thing is odd, it seems like a weird distinction for the game to make between simply throwing one back at it and making sure you hit it in the blades. I'll try it though, so thanks for the tip.

Well, if this is true:

For the helicopter, just go into Black Side 1-2. You can't hijack drones/platforms in missions, so it'll get destroyed. You just gotta hope your AI partner doesn't destroy it instead.

then it's probably just a coincidence that I hit a helicopter in the blades and it insta-died; I was playing as Leo and I'm pretty sure I was just wandering about in the streets between any missions when I did it, but...this explanation makes more sense.

I'm not really looking forward to the Hard playthrough, I die enough as it is on Normal. I'm glad you don't have to Platinum Medal each mission.

Hard is, indeed, pretty rough, but things get a lot easier if you plan ahead; take, for example, the Gargoyle fight on the Black side: if you start the fight with a stealth item, the Gargoyles you have to shoot down from the gun won't be able to find you and you'll take no damage - I was losing 90% of my health bar to them before I tried using a stealth item.

Sometimes planning ahead isn't enough, though: the 2 vs. 2 fights on White were a nightmare for me - Durga/Garuda and Ai Rin/Fei Rin: I had to do both about 30 times before getting through them...I used Sasha, spent a long time getting weapons I thought would be useful, cursed the irritating lock-on system a million times...

For every fight on hard make sure to go in with a full rampage gauge and items in both slots; it's probably a good idea to try the fight out and see how you do cold, and then, when you get destroyed, try to figure out which items will be most useful.

Too much AR? lol. The multiplayer has kept me up several very late nights and early mornings. It's a fantastic game.

Not really too much, just too late at night - I've been stressed out about something I'm working on in real life and I haven't been able to sleep, so I've been playing really late. But, yeah, the MP for the game is outstanding - I always highly esteem a game's MP when I keep playing happily despite being continuously destroyed by others.

I started as Black on normal, and got all the way to stage 4 on White without dying, then I died during the mission against/with Douglas - one of the mutants went into critical kind of half-way up the slope from the quicksand, and as I was standing next to it mashing :circle: to finish it off, we both just started sliding down the slope and I couldn't move my character and...quicksand. Instant kill. Carried on, finished the rest of the game with no deaths...One quicksand kill and no Max Anarchy for me...

Anyways, I did it on easy with no deaths and it was effortless: getting gold or platinum medals shouldn't be an issue, and doing that will instantly unlock the next mission which means you don't ever need to stay in the streets; as for that one mission in stage 2: as others said, just skip it. Remember, though, that accidents can happen while you're trying to accumulate points in free roam, so choose to fight in a place that you know well, manually save approximately every 20 kills (when it starts to rain) in order to keep your points, and if you even remotely sniff a possibility of dying quit to the main menu - like, say, a few of those Vanquish-looking armoured vaporizer guys show up...just quit to the menu to get rid of them and reload your game - no sense in risking anything when you don't have to.

Edited by Mitsuru Kirijo

Is there a place to farm items on Hard? I ran into items a lot less than on Normal, of course, so I was item-less for most of the fights. I guess waiting in the streets for something to happen is as good as it gets?

Still, I'm on Stage 4 on the other side now on Hard, so I'm done with the 2v2 fights. They were not fun at all, but I don't think I did them 30 times.. more like 10ish (but I had the experience from Normal too). The Gargoyle fight sucked too because when you kill 1, the other is waiting just behind you for a free hit - and if he does that instant air lightning ball for half your life, it's a lot of rage.

Also... oh HO manual saving. I did not think of that. The game auto-saves so much that I wasn't sure what progress I was keeping or not. Hopefully I can finish up the game on Hard mode at least tonight... I'm really not enjoying it because of the absolutely sadistic camera and lock-on controls, so I can't play too much at a time.

Is there a place to farm items on Hard? I ran into items a lot less than on Normal, of course, so I was item-less for most of the fights. I guess waiting in the streets for something to happen is as good as it gets?

Every 20 kills it starts to rain, and the rain signals a sub-boss spawn: a mutant, a platform, the Vanquish guys, whatever...Kill the sub-boss wave and a guy with an item box appears...all of which I'm sure you've already figured out. Anyways, that's as close to item farming as the game gets. I still have no idea what causes the slot machines to start spinning - number of kills, or just time elapsed, or whatever, so they're not really reliable.

Still, I'm on Stage 4 on the other side now on Hard, so I'm done with the 2v2 fights. They were not fun at all, but I don't think I did them 30 times.. more like 10ish (but I had the experience from Normal too). The Gargoyle fight sucked too because when you kill 1, the other is waiting just behind you for a free hit - and if he does that instant air lightning ball for half your life, it's a lot of rage.

Well, I ran into some serious problems with Durga/Garuda: every single time I went to the rooftop to trigger Sasha, I was insta-killed out of the character select screen: literally an instant after Sasha gives her little speech I would be juggled by Garuda without being able to even block, and that would be one life; then, in the time it took to respawn, Leo would die, which meant being tag-teamed, which meant, on average I spent more time waiting to respawn than I did being alive. The only way I was able to get through it was by realizing that any items activated by Leo prior to the rooftop cutscene stuff would be activated for Sasha after the cutscene stuff - I activated a shield for Leo right before the rooftop, and that gave Sasha an active shield right afterwards, and that was the only to survive the insta-juggling...

Not sure why I'm writing so much about this - pent up aggravation, I suppose :p - but the same thing more or less happened with Ai Rin/Fei Rin, just slightly different...

The Gargoyle fight wasn't so bad for me - the stealth item lasted long enough to take out the first Gargoyle on foot and get a head start on the second one, and then it was just a matter of getting to the item boxes ahead of the next one spawning.

Right now my big problem is the last two trophies I have - all bosses killed with rampage/killer weapon...Someone somewhere around here posted that you only had to do the bosses on one side for the trophies, but I've rampaged all the White side bosses (except Kraken - does Kraken count?), and I've Killer Weapon'd all the Black side bosses (except kraken - does Kraken count...? :p:p) and no trophies...I'm planning on doing all of them on both sides unless anyone has any suggestions...?

Right now my big problem is the last two trophies I have - all bosses killed with rampage/killer weapon...Someone somewhere around here posted that you only had to do the bosses on one side for the trophies, but I've rampaged all the White side bosses (except Kraken - does Kraken count?), and I've Killer Weapon'd all the Black side bosses (except kraken - does Kraken count...? :p:p) and no trophies...I'm planning on doing all of them on both sides unless anyone has any suggestions...?

Boss like Kraken don't count. Forgive me, cuz I did this along time ago, so I'm trying to remember the best I can. From what I remember, I did all the bosses on one playthrough, including stages that had two bosses (like the Rin sisters). I did both red sides as well. It still never unlocked even then I though I swear I got everybody. I had to do a third playthrough to get the Max Anarchy trophy and during that playthrough, it unlocked both since the kills carry over. I was missing the White side bosses. I don't know if this helps, but Rampage unlocked for me during Oinkie's second battle and the fight with Douglas unlocked the killer weapon (kill him before the cutscene).

Every 20 kills it starts to rain, and the rain signals a sub-boss spawn: a mutant, a platform, the Vanquish guys, whatever...Kill the sub-boss wave and a guy with an item box appears...all of which I'm sure you've already figured out. Anyways, that's as close to item farming as the game gets. I still have no idea what causes the slot machines to start spinning - number of kills, or just time elapsed, or whatever, so they're not really reliable.

Well, I ran into some serious problems with Durga/Garuda: every single time I went to the rooftop to trigger Sasha, I was insta-killed out of the character select screen: literally an instant after Sasha gives her little speech I would be juggled by Garuda without being able to even block, and that would be one life; then, in the time it took to respawn, Leo would die, which meant being tag-teamed, which meant, on average I spent more time waiting to respawn than I did being alive. The only way I was able to get through it was by realizing that any items activated by Leo prior to the rooftop cutscene stuff would be activated for Sasha after the cutscene stuff - I activated a shield for Leo right before the rooftop, and that gave Sasha an active shield right afterwards, and that was the only to survive the insta-juggling...

I did not know that about 20 kills, so that's handy, though no longer useful :(

I did figure out the items thing in Leo/Sasha quickly, but I was never killed right out of the character select. I dodged to the side and threw down the electrotrap I had, and then I just had to race to wipe one out before Leo died. If he died, it was combo-death for me. It's nearly impossible to find your partner to revive when they can seriously warp around the screen instantly and prevent you from even dodging at all due to blockstun.

The CPU AI just gets really, really retarded on hard mode. I was fighting Max in Black 3-3 and when he started a combo on me, Baron and Mathilda just sat there blocking. Useless bastards.

For the helicopter, just go into Black Side 1-2. You can't hijack drones/platforms in missions, so it'll get destroyed. You just gotta hope your AI partner doesn't destroy it instead.

Sounds like an excellent idea, thanks!

Haven't had much time to go back to playing this on Hard but there's some good advice here, thank you all~

Sometimes planning ahead isn't enough, though: the 2 vs. 2 fights on White were a nightmare for me - Durga/Garuda and Ai Rin/Fei Rin: I had to do both about 30 times before getting through them...I used Sasha, spent a long time getting weapons I thought would be useful, cursed the irritating lock-on system a million times...

For every fight on hard make sure to go in with a full rampage gauge and items in both slots; it's probably a good idea to try the fight out and see how you do cold, and then, when you get destroyed, try to figure out which items will be most useful.

I think I must have gotten lucky with my first 2 vs. 2 fight then. I went up against Durga and Garuda already with a full rampage gauge. I activated it straight away and just went after the same opponent that Sasha was fighting, which in this case was Durga. Spammed the L2 and Square Killer attack and Durga was dead within 10 seconds, without ever having hit me or Sasha. That made it a 2-on-1 situation against Garuda which was remarkable easy. It was my first platinum medal on hard. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Just farm items until you get rocket launcher or a shield. With shield on you can take a few hard hits, just trade your heavy KW attack while they attack you.

If you hear the death scream and the screen goes red, thats it. That death counts. You cannot die ever. You can retire when you are on low life, but if you die thats it - it counts, start a new playthrough. Do it on easy, avoid the environmental hazards.

Its possible to platinum all the missions on hard, ive done it, and it requires planning before each boss fight. Farm items, and go in with full rampage gauge. Use rampage when your life is low, and learn tricks to abuse the AI.

The hardest fights are the durga and garuda tag team, and the jack vs the army of gargoyles one. Everything else is manageable. In the later missions, you get to team up against the enemy with helper NPC, let them do the hard work for you, and run in and heavy kw the enemy while they are distracted!

Its good to have a hard mode thats actually hard in a game, most games are easy as piss now a days.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not up-to-date on the questions at hand, but...

For "Max Anarchy", you can die, but when you do, make sure you don't save after dying. What I would recomend is save before each mission. If you die in the open world, just quit to main menu and continue your game. If you fail a free mission, just quit and continue game. If you die during a boss fight, quit and continue game. Just make sure you don't save after a death. If you do, it's game over.

For the grabs, play on hard via stage select. Pick a boss fight and just wait. From experience, I felt like Durga or Leo actually attempted more grabs than anyone else. Also, if I just stood next to them and do nothing, they would grab me more than if I were evading/moving.

As for the "Backyard Barbeque" trophy and others that require X# of enemies killed, try using the taunt button. Supposedly it attracts more enemies to your location.

Edited by Merdoxs12

• 2 months later...

Wanted to give another good boss to farm the evade 5 throws trophy (Massage with an Anarch Ending). I got this trophy from Douglas on 4-2 stage of the White Side Story. Try it on Hard and just keep a good distance from him, and when he throws both arms back he is going to rush at you for the throw. The distance and his action gives enough time to prepare and hit o before contact. You don't have to lock on him or hold the block button just keep running around him in a circle till he makes the motion described. Got this trophy within a couple of minutes.

Edited by OneChance

• 7 months later...
Wanted to give another good boss to farm the evade 5 throws trophy (Massage with an Anarch Ending). I got this trophy from Douglas on 4-2 stage of the White Side Story. Try it on Hard and just keep a good distance from him, and when he throws both arms back he is going to rush at you for the throw. The distance and his action gives enough time to prepare and hit o before contact. You don't have to lock on him or hold the block button just keep running around him in a circle till he makes the motion described. Got this trophy within a couple of minutes.

I thought I was doing it wrong at first because how rare it is to see the dodge animation for boss throws, but this worked like a charm.