Club Nintendo is closing down

vava

Club Nintendo is closing down

Nintendo announced the news today on the official blog. The firm added that a new programme will replace Club Nintendo and will launch later this year.

In addition, any Stars in your account will expire on September 30, 2015.

The full discontinuation schedule is below:

April 1st 2015

From this date, Nintendo will no longer include product registration cards with its packaged games, so such products cannot be registered in Club Nintendo. You may still find product registration cards in games that were in stock before this date, however

April 20th 2015

Termination of the registration of digital products downloaded from Nintendo eShop. Digital products obtained from Nintendo eShop after this date will no longer appear in the My Registered Games & Systems page in Club Nintendo. In addition, surveys for download software titles will no longer be available

September 30th 2015

End of Club Nintendo programme. All Club Nintendo features, such as signing up as a new member, logging in as a registered member, earning Stars, and exchanging Stars for items from the Stars Catalogue will no longer be possible from this date

When the new programme is announced, users who sign up during its launch period will get a free digital copy of Flipnote Studio 3D.

As for the new 3DS models, they will not come with registration cards. Hardware bundles that come with a game however will still include a registration voucher for the game.

oh :(

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't you buy Game & Watch? I have 2500 and im trying to save for that reward.

Pretty sure i can't but..

Don't know, not feeling it. It doesn't do anything for me. Would love a statue or something. Reading that Nintendo are going to put some new stuff before it closes so I'll make my choice in the last few weeks.

And nothing of value was lost.

Seriously, Club Nintendo in the US was absolutely garbage. All they've had on there for quite some time is a selection of 4 shitty, old Virtual Console and DSi/WiiWare games. In fact I think I'm happy to see it go considering how bad Nintendo let it get.

It's pretty stupid that I've seen people from Europe complain and say North America got it better because "free games". No we didn't. Europeans can get eShop cards as a reward. Do you know what eShop Cards means? IT MEANS FREE FUCKING GAMES. And any game your heart desires, not just a selection of 4 old pieces of shit. I would have loved it if NoA gave us eShop cards, that would have been awesome. Oh, and that's not to mention all the cool physical rewards Europeans had access to. Over here we had folders, shoelaces, and terrycloth towels before they all went away.

But yeah, Club Nintendo NA was shit and I for one won't miss it.

And nothing of value was lost.

Seriously, Club Nintendo in the US was absolutely garbage. All they've had on there for quite some time is a selection of 4 shitty, old Virtual Console and DSi/WiiWare games. In fact I think I'm happy to see it go considering how bad Nintendo let it get.

It's pretty stupid that I've seen people from Europe complain and say North America got it better because "free games". No we didn't. Europeans can get eShop cards as a reward. Do you know what eShop Cards means? IT MEANS FREE FUCKING GAMES. And any game your heart desires, not just a selection of 4 old pieces of shit. I would have loved it if NoA gave us eShop cards, that would have been awesome. Oh, and that's not to mention all the cool physical rewards Europeans had access to. Over here we had folders, shoelaces, and terrycloth towels before they all went away.

But yeah, Club Nintendo NA was shit and I for one won't miss it.

Yup, pretty much this. All I ever got was the Grill-Off with Ultra Hand game for Wii.

Nintendo never misses a chance to stick it to US customers. But I feel the same way about Sony too when I think about it. That's the game you play when you're dealing with a company from another country.

My real problem with Nintendo these days is how everything other than their biggest releases (Smash Bros., Pokemon, etc.) is a huge chase to get. Both Majora's Mask releases (the limited edition version of the game with the statue and the new 3DS console) were nearly impossible to secure purchases for. I got them both pre-ordered, but it was a stroke of luck. Most people didn't have a chance. And what's going on with Amiibo's is absolutely ridiculous. If you want something from Nintendo, you better pre-order it (or hope you can), and buy it without hesitation - because a lot of the time, once it's gone, it's gone. Go out and try to buy a new copy of Pikmin 3 right now.

Edited by WalterWhite

Nintendo never misses a chance to stick it to US customers. But I feel the same way about Sony too when I think about it. That's the game you play when you're dealing with a company from another country.

My real problem with Nintendo these days is how everything other than their biggest releases (Smash Bros., Pokemon, etc.) is a huge chase to get. Both Majora's Mask releases (the limited edition version of the game with the statue and the new 3DS console) were nearly impossible to secure purchases for. I got them both pre-ordered, but it was a stroke of luck. Most people didn't have a chance. And what's going on with Amiibo's is absolutely ridiculous. If you want something from Nintendo, you better pre-order it (or hope you can), and buy it without hesitation - because a lot of the time, once it's gone, it's gone. Go out and try to buy a new copy of Pikmin 3 right now.

Trying to finish off my Wii U library and missing a few games, but they're all out of stock at major retailers. Seem to be doing low print runs for their first party games. It really is a case of pre-order if you want a physical copy because they never drop in price and go out of stock before they're due one.

The Amiibo situation is crazy too. Managed to grab a Rosalina though :cool:

The Stars catalogue in Europe wasn't great either, but I never browsed the US one so can't comment on how bad or good it was compared to that, but on the catalogue for the last year, it has been nothing but garbage, except for year of Luigi figurine, but that was a whopping 7.5k stars and here you only get 150 per game.

Been sitting on 7k for a year and a bit now. Still nothing to spend it on. Push comes to shove I'll get e-shop points.

Trying to finish off my Wii U library and missing a few games, but they're all out of stock at major retailers. Seem to be doing low print runs for their first party games. It really is a case of pre-order if you want a physical copy because they never drop in price and go out of stock before they're due one.

Wow, really? Over here you can still get any of the big games. There are plenty in stock over here.

Yeah, I'm pretty disheartened with both Nintendo and Sony recently, but let's move swiftly onward from that one. :francis:

Forget about trying to find a new copy of Pikmin 3 right now... Trying to find one when the game was just released was also a goddamn nightmare. Same with LEGO City Undercover. Nintendo seems dead-set on making low print runs of all their first party titles on both Wii U and 3DS to try and push people to the eShop. Really, Nintendo? You expect me to go digital on your console with only 32GB of onboard storage, only USB 2.0 ports to plug externals into, and a stupid DRM system that ties my purchases to my hardware rather than my Nintendo Network account meaning I have to call you up and hope you'll be nice and transfer my licenses if I change consoles?! Get fucking real :rofl:

If I can't get a physical copy of a Nintendo game, I just won't play it. Not that it's a big loss anyway these days. Forced gamepad nonsense really kills a lot of these games for me. None of these games use the gamepad in a way that changes gaming, everything could get by with either the Pro Controller or Wiimote and Nunchuck if Nintendo would get their heads out of their asses and stop trying to justify the existence of that failed piece of shit they call a "GamePad".

I think that's another reason why I like my Xbone so much: Microsoft's the only one that didn't gimmick it up with their controller. When I play a game on Xbone I just get to play a game, I don't have to do stupid shit with my controller like I do on Wii U and PS4. :francis: No touching, no motion controls, no blowing on it, no flashlight on the back, no buying a fuckload of overpriced ugly statues on eBay, just a goddamn controller made for playing goddamn video games they way they were meant to be goddamn played... Goddammit! Also the battery life is more than 2 hours (yes I'm exaggerating a bit, but there's no denying the Wii U and PS4 controllers have shit battery life so deal with it)

As far as Amiibo rarity goes, just ask Francis:

[ame]

[/ame] Edited by mjc0961

Wow, really? Over here you can still get any of the big games. There are plenty in stock over here.

Shop Chart at GAME

https://www.gamestop.ie/SearchResult/QuickSearchHeaderPlatform?platform=29

Amazon doesn't and hasn't for months in some cases, have copies of the following: Mario Kart 8, New Super Mario Bros U, Super Mario 3D World, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, Hyrule Warriors, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Game and Wario.

Amazon is relying on 3rd party sellers. I'm not saying they're super rare, it's just they have stock for all 3rd party games and first party titles for the other systems. It's just odd that today I wanted to get a Wii U game so I checked Gamestop...nope, Amazon...nope, GAME...nope. I have to use a local Irish retailer to get it and I can only get online as all stores do not have it in stock.

Also it's fucking stupid that North America doesn't get the regular size New 3DS! :rant:

I don't want either New 3DS model but still, this is just beyond stupid! Why does Nintendo hate money?!

If they would make more Amiibo, more limited editions, more copies of games, and bring over all the hardware, that would be more money going directly to Nintendo instead of into the hands of scalpers! But apparently Nintendo doesn't want any of that money! It boggles the mind!

Instead, Nintendo tries to save a few pennies on their end and then make a few extra pennies by not including AC adapters with the New 3DSs. Yeah Nintendo, because that little bit of money you both save and make by doing that shit is really going to make up for all the money you lost from people not buying the New 3DS because they wanted the small one and from not selling enough Amiibo, limited editions, and copies of games.

Nearly every other company's problem is being too greedy and trying too hard to vacuum money out of our wallets for piss poor value. Meanwhile Nintendo are begging people to take their money and Nintendo says no, we don't want it, go give it to assholes on eBay. I always knew Nintendo was backwards, but no company should ever be this backwards! :francis:

Shop Chart at GAME

https://www.gamestop.ie/SearchResult/QuickSearchHeaderPlatform?platform=29

Amazon doesn't and hasn't for months in some cases, have copies of the following: Mario Kart 8, New Super Mario Bros U, Super Mario 3D World, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, Hyrule Warriors, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Game and Wario.

Amazon is relying on 3rd party sellers. I'm not saying they're super rare, it's just they have stock for all 3rd party games and first party titles for the other systems. It's just odd that today I wanted to get a Wii U game so I checked Gamestop...nope, Amazon...nope, GAME...nope. I have to use a local Irish retailer to get it and I can only get online as all stores do not have it in stock.

I just went over to a Toys R Us near my house, and pretty much all the biggest Wii U games are there, including the ones you just listed. In fact, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U was the game they had the most stock of. This might just be Canada or specifically the area I live in, though.

I just went over to a Toys R Us near my house, and pretty much all the biggest Wii U games are there, including the ones you just listed. In fact, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U was the game they had the most stock of. This might just be Canada or specifically the area I live in, though.

I don't know what print numbers are like in the US and Canada, but judging by the stock of the big three over here in the UK and Ireland they seem pretty low. I'm just trying to buy Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze.

It's not in stock on Gamestop, Amazon, GAME or Smyths Toy Store. Have to use a seller on Amazon or get it on eBay. Won't cost much, it's not rare at all, I just find it odd that all major retailers do not carry it. I want to give you the monies Nintendo, let me do it :p

Only store with all Nintendo games in stock is the Official Nintendo store of the UK, but since Ireland isn't in the UK they won't ship it to me :mad:

Plus the Nintendo store is always the most expensive.

This is unfortunate, but at least a ton of titles are getting released in February to use any remaining coins on. I actually liked the Club Nintendo Program. I got quite a few games from it and even got my mom an Animal Crossing bag to hold her 3DS in. Wish that pikmin tote bag came back in stock though. :p

As for the gripe with Nintendo and their quantity of games, it has pros and cons. Pros are that people who get the games early on secure a nice product that, as of past and current trends, is basically GUARANTEED to go up in value. This makes the product more valuable to the consumer and is greatly beneficial to 3rd party sellers. (For example, I have every Fire Emblem game released in US with its original case and inserts. Thats easily worth $300 even though they are pre owned and played. That's 1 3DS game, 2 GBA games, 1 DS game, 1 GC game, and 1 Wii game. Why? Because the set is complete and all of these games except Awakening and Shadow Dragon are hard to come by.) The obvious cons to this type of marketing are limited availability and increase in difficulty when trying to purchase. So it has good things and bad things.

As for Wii U, the only wii u games that are hard for me to come by are pikmin 3 and Super Luigi U (does that even count?). It's not even that I need those games, but rather that I don't see them around when I look in GameStop. I've seen all the other games listed in this thread around though. I was just at GameStop 2 days ago and I saw mario kart 8, smash bros for wii u, monster hunter, game and wario, Zelda wind Waker, hyrule warriors, and wonderful 101. Those are just off the top of my head. If I paid more attention I could've probably listed more. But then again, that could just be a region thing. I don't know what it's like in UK or other places, I'm just in New York.