Metal Slug. One-hit kill?

Rafdog89

http://i60.tinypic.com/2v3j575.jpg

So recently I've been playing a lot of Metal Slug (on the PSP, GBA, DS, Wii, etc.) and noticed I keep dying in one hit. Was Metal Slug always like this? Because I don't recall dying in one hit when playing it on the arcades back in the day. Nor do I remember dying in one hit when playing Metal Slug Advance on my GBA/DS. I remember having a full life bar and little chunks of life would disappear when I got shot, etc. But every time I play Metal Slug 7 on the DS or Anthology on my PSP, I keep dying in one shot.

What's the point in a full life bar being shown if we die in one shot? I don't get this. I thought there was a problem with my Metal Slug 7 copy for the DS when I played it and noticed I was dying in one shot. Figured it was set on a stronger difficulty or something.

I assume that in Metal Slug Advance, the life bar was either something new or they made the game easier because it was for Nintendo handhelds, so lots of kids were going to play it. But I could be wrong about that. It could just been a new system implemented. With Metal Slug Advance, it seems I had a full life bar rather extra lives like in traditional Metal Slug games.

In the traditional Metal Slug games, you die in one hit but have extra lives. But what still baffles me and kind of pisses me off is seeing a friggin' health bar that's completely empty. Might as well not include a damn life bar if we die in one shot! Clearly once you jump into a vehicle you gain a life bar (for obvious reasons). They wanted it to be pretty realistic; if you get shot once, you die.

Were they just being lazy and just left the life bar there when runnin' & gunnin' until you jumped into a vehicle to show you that your vehicle has life? Because, in my opinion, they should have just left out the life bar when out of a vehicle. It should appear only when you jump into a vehicle.

~ Rafdog89

Metal Slug has always been OHKO. The only exception to this rule (to my knowledge) is Raff in Metal Slug 6, who can take two hits.

In Metal Slug Advance (GBA) you had a life bar which REPLACED extra lives.

Yeah, I guess it always has been an OHKO system. I guess because I kind of grew up playing Metal Slug Advance more than the arcade ones, I assumed they all had health bars.

With it being an OHKO in original MS games, I've never really realized how difficult they can truly be. There's so many enemies from so many corners firing at you all the time. You can only dodge so much until something eventually hits you and kills you.

Playing it on a PSP is not the easiest. That's for damn sure. With an arcade stick, you can make quicker movements (same with fighting games). But playing it on a PSP with either the d-pad or stick and trying to dodge everything coming at you is quite difficult. At times, I see myself rushing through the level(s) rather enjoying the game for the fun of blowing shit up and killing the soldiers.

Oh well! It is what it is. Thanks for the info, dude.

~ Rafdog89

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
There's so many enemies from so many corners firing at you all the time. You can only dodge so much until something eventually hits you and kills you.

Well, nearly none of it is random (it could be 0% random, possibly), it's all consistent. That's the true challenge in the original games, you'll do even better if you remember enemy placements.

I've managed to beat Metal Slug 1 and X without dying, and 3 without continuing. Not an easy feat, but I feel the challenge of memorizing enemy spawns is part of what makes the games so enjoyable, since it really helps you tear through the stages.